SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-05-06, 04:00 PM   #1
pepe

Default Brake caliper 'pins' ?

Hi all, some advice needed please.
I'm changing the front pads on the standard calipers and I thought that I read somewhere before that the pin which the pads 'slide' along needs/should be changed for new ? I've taken the pads out before to clean them and when the bike has been serviced the 'pins' have never been changed. Should I change the pins or am I just being stupid

Thanks

Glenn
Old 17-05-06, 04:06 PM   #2
petevtwin650

I've taken my pads out loads of time on my curvy without any binding of the pins. Clean the pins off, just lightly copperslip the pins, don't get any on the braking surfaces, and hopefully you'll be fine.
Old 17-05-06, 04:09 PM   #3
pepe

Cheers pete, thats what I did when I cleaned them last time, just thought I'd check

Cheers
Old 17-05-06, 04:09 PM   #4
falc

Depends on the state of the pins, if they are regular lubed and looked after then they shouldnt need replacing. The only real way to tell if they need replacing is to take them out and have a look.
If its really rusted and horrible then replace it, if it looks ok, give it a quick clean with some emry paper and lube it up

Or wait for someone who knows what they are doing :P
Old 17-05-06, 04:09 PM   #5
Carsick

They don't need changing, but they do need looking after. not only to make sure the pads slide freely along them, but also to make sure that they don't seize in place.
Old 18-05-06, 11:23 AM   #6
pepe

Cheers all , will clean and lube this weekend
Old 18-05-06, 11:38 AM   #7
UlsterSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsick
They don't need changing, but they do need looking after. not only to make sure the pads slide freely along them, but also to make sure that they don't seize in place.
Happened to me. Couldn't get the pin out at all. Vice grips were useless and the head of the pin is soft as ****. Cut through the pin with the plan of knocking one half out with a hammer and screwdriver and pulling the other half out with grips, but to no avail. That's what I get for a winter of neglect.
Old 18-05-06, 11:47 AM   #8
Fuzz

Even though I lubed my rear pins before the Winter, they have still seized up. I need to get the caliper off now and split it. I was going to replace the seals anyway. Must remember to regrease them periodically, especially during bad weather