SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-08-08, 07:14 PM   #1
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Default Any gym boffins in here

OK I have managed to get full movement back in my arm after my op and am going to join a gym to start building my muscle back up.

I know that I will probably get a program to suit from the gym instructor but wondered if there was anyone qualified on here in such things.

Wat kinda exercises should I do that wont be too much of a strain on a mending shoulder but will start to increase strength in my upper arm/shoulder.
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-08, 07:16 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Any gym boffins in here

Hovis works in a gym, hopefully he'll be along in a mo...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-08, 07:27 PM   #3
neio79

Not qualified but partake in Op massive 3 times a week!
Old 28-08-08, 07:55 PM   #4
BillyC
Mega Poster

Miss Woozle...

Gym isn't necessarily the answer, and not straight away. Talk to your physio about hydrotherapy sessions - it should be instructed by a physio that knows about your injury. After my arm was squashed it did wonders for me. It will make huge differences for the strength and coordination in your arm/shoulder.

Once that has reached a certain level, then instructed light free-weights are a good step. Don't use machines - they won't do your coordination any favours, and are only about building up specific groups of muscles. Free-weights will give a more general strength, with better results.
Old 28-08-08, 08:12 PM   #5
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC View Post
Miss Woozle...

Gym isn't necessarily the answer, and not straight away. Talk to your physio about hydrotherapy sessions - it should be instructed by a physio that knows about your injury. After my arm was squashed it did wonders for me. It will make huge differences for the strength and coordination in your arm/shoulder.

Once that has reached a certain level, then instructed light free-weights are a good step. Don't use machines - they won't do your coordination any favours, and are only about building up specific groups of muscles. Free-weights will give a more general strength, with better results.
Thanks hun, Physio has said I can go gym and to speak with gym instructor as to exercises, she said start on really really low weights (not even 5kg) and build up. She gave me exercises to do at home with these theraband things to build the strength back in my shoulder blades but not much more than that !!
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

Old 28-08-08, 08:44 PM   #6
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellywoozle View Post
She gave me exercises to do at home with these theraband things to build the strength back in my shoulder blades but not much more than that !!
what has she got you doing?

i would say stick to what she told you, and maybe do the same exercises, but with light weights...... 1-3 kg. Just to start off,
Old 28-08-08, 09:39 PM   #7
stephen365

Have a butchers at these....http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00067
Looks just the job. Slowly, gently, easy does it though.
Old 28-08-08, 09:44 PM   #8
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen365 View Post
Have a butchers at these....http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00067
Looks just the job. Slowly, gently, easy does it though.
I have just completed all the ones there Stephen, and they have given me the full movement back, I am now doing scapular strength exercises. (just moved on from these Wed)

One is simply push with forearm against a wall.

Another I have to dangle my arm down and lift my shoulder only.

I have to lie on the floor with my arm in the arm and raise my arm at shoulder only

I have to (no comments) kneel on all fours, stretch in my shoulders, when i am lowerin back down i have to riase my good arm and leave body weight on bad, but i have to stabilise shoulders so when i raise my arm i am not allowed ANY movement in my back. OK but my arm collapses on this one its so weak.

She did say I could go gym .... think it's too early??? I just want to get moving as I feel a right numpty doing these and I need to get back to work for my sanity.

Last edited by Shellywoozle; 28-08-08 at 09:47 PM.
Old 28-08-08, 09:48 PM   #9
neio79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellywoozle View Post
I have to (no comments) kneel on all fours, .
ohh the images!!
Old 28-08-08, 10:01 PM   #10
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by neio79 View Post
ohh the images!!
For some reason I miss this one out LOL

but in 6 weeks time when she wants to see how i progressed and my arm still collapses I fink she may know I not done them LOL