SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-12-04, 05:27 AM   #1
joschmo86

Default NOW i am getting an SV

Well, I FINALLY got back in the correct thinking and financial direction, I got a check I was waiting from my last(Honda Nighthawk 750) being totalled. Now, I am going to get an K4 SV650(blue?). But ftrst I need new goodies. Protection, you know...not the kind your girl makes you wear, the kind that you actually care about cause it can save your ****. Anyways, I need a new helmet, gloves, and a jacket. Gotta love HoustonTX. Today is the only really cold day in a while. So, I am leaning from a sv650 to a Honda Shadow Spirit 750, because it seemed better on the highway. I am going to be doing a few long tripsacross the US, mostly staying in TX/CO/NM area though. I hear the seats are uncomfortable on the SV650, but it felt fine for me and I weigh 195lbs. and am 6' tall. I only went on a good 30-35 minute ride on the SV though, which isnt anything at all. what are some tips I need for geting a new SV, other than "Easy on the throttle for the 1st 500 miles"??

Any advice on a good helmet? I am wondering on the 2005's...when can I get one???
Old 24-12-04, 05:34 AM   #2
vtwinner

Morning dude,

Can't really answer the questions regarding running in the new bike as I've never had a new bike, hoping to at the end of January.

I'm sure that you'll get some useful information from the people on here, where abouts are you gonna be taking the bike on your long US trips ?
Old 24-12-04, 06:04 AM   #3
joschmo86

I am planning on seeing family in Denver, Colorado(when it warms up), New Mexico(same), and all across US, just to see everything thats out there and get some good times in with my dad before he gets too old to ride. He's 47 but I like giving him a hard time. He's the Import fanatic, Not a big fan of Harley's.

I am going along with SVchick's advice from a while ago and going to Stubb's Cycles to get my SV, just gotta decide color, or k4 or k5. I like the silver frame of the k4, so I dunno....hmmm. First mods will be a fender extender, cleaning up the rear fender/plastic crap...advice? I want to also get a can and uncap the airflow by expanding the restricted stock intake...read about that a while back. Other than that...what else can I do?

Old 24-12-04, 03:37 PM   #4
Baldyman

Quote:
get some good times in with my dad before he gets too old to ride. He's 47
OMG.......As I'm 50, does that mean I'm too old to ride in the States ?????
Old 24-12-04, 05:56 PM   #5
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by joschmo86
I want to also get a can and uncap the airflow by expanding the restricted stock intake...read about that a while back. Other than that...what else can I do?
The list my friend.............................. is endless
Old 25-12-04, 02:09 AM   #6
Barty_b0y

Default Re: NOW i am getting an SV

[quote="joschmo86"]what are some tips I need for geting a new SV, other than "Easy on the throttle for the 1st 500 miles"??

quote]

on the contrary after 50 miles dump the oil then ride it like you stole it
your coming from the arc with run in techniques from yesteryear

[quote="joschmo86"]Any advice on a good helmet? I am wondering on the 2005's...when can I get one???quote]

ERRR january 01 about 6 days time
Old 25-12-04, 05:28 AM   #7
joschmo86

Well, I went to the dealership(Stubbs Cycles) today, and got a really good look at the K4 vs K5 Sv650. I like the silver frame more so as the k4 has, and the suzuki being spelled, not just an "S" on the tank. the K5's have a less-ugly rear mud guard/spaceship wing, but eithe rone I will be hacking off and reloacting the licensce plate...ect. So....any real differences other than those stated and the little "chin" spoiler on the K5 SV? I was loking at hemets, and am probably going with a well vented silver HJC fullface non-tinted visor.

Now....

Good gloves for cold weather(30's-60's?), and any advice on a good backpack(weatherproofed)?Whats a good jacket line for protection, but dont wanna stay too hot(texas )

I have a feeling this forum is going to be a huge help for me, and an awesome place to "congregate" about our SVs...

Not to start the debate, but the newer SV's look better than the bubblier kind, but I gotta hav respect for the originals.....
Old 25-12-04, 10:17 AM   #8
wheelnut

Quote:
Not to start the debate, but the newer SV's look better than the bubblier kind, but I gotta hav respect for the originals.....
Yes but this quote comes from a pup, a whippersnapper who thinks 47 is too old to ride a bike.

Move aside ye wee pup

The old style SV is the original, the other shape is just a fad.

The old SV used to have a black frame, so soon the panels will be nicely rounded on the k7
Old 31-12-04, 11:37 AM   #9
CarlSV650

Never mind, the same old arguments pop up don`t they!

I ran my bike in to the first service, up 6500 revs. Never using full throttle and never holding constant revs.

I`ll admit it was hard but I reckon it was worth it. I`m over 2000miles now and the bike burns no oil whatsoever, the gearbox is perfect and I have full confidence in the bike. I was told that you don`t have to run one in but, it is advisable, and anyhow it makes you get to know the bike better before you nail it!!

As for people prefering the old shape to the new, well Suzuki are a multi million pound manufacturer. Would they be so stupid as to change the shapes and design to make the bike worse? I think not.

Enjoy the bike, be aware the plastic number plate holder is also the rear mudguard. Fit a tail tidy and your back and back lights will get wet and dirty! Looks better tho!