SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-09-06, 06:57 PM   #1
oldjack

Default Indicator/Fuel warning light distraction?

Does anybody else get distracted by the yellow fuel warning light? Like most bike riders I am paranoid about not having cancelled my indicators, so I'm forever subconciously glancing at the display. When the fuel light is flashing I find I glance down much more often instead of concentrating on the road - my subconscious must be colourblind!
Old 21-09-06, 07:06 PM   #2
andy

Yup, it distracts me as well (I guess it should really - you need to get fuel soon)

When my SV was new it had a fault where the fuel light would flash constantly (even with full tank) and I ended up putting insulation tape on it because it was so distracting (yes, I have had a tape fetish for years )

To combat the problem of thinking I have left my indicators on, I don't look for the light I just press the cancel button periodically
Old 21-09-06, 07:30 PM   #3
hovis

simple to sort out.......PUT PETROL IN BIKE
Old 21-09-06, 07:54 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

Agreed it is a real pain, I wish there was a cancellation button i.e. “Ok thanks, I know I am low on fuel now, thanks for telling me, you can go out now” but there isn’t!!!

It’s a 2 stage light, when you get really low the light stays on, so I was thinking of swapping the wires about so low fuel is solid light, dangerously low is flashing … much less distraction a solid light (especially at night).

Anyone swapped the wires over like this, is there any reason I shouldn’t??
Old 21-09-06, 07:56 PM   #5
the white rabbit

That sounds a much more sensible arrangement
Old 21-09-06, 08:05 PM   #6
hovis

here i am totaly stressed out, thinking of selling my bike worrying how much its going to cost..........then u got somone complaining about a flashing light thats MENT to flash?????????

look
goto petrol station
put petrol in bike
give woman money
leave petrol station

i have just solved all your problems
Old 21-09-06, 08:10 PM   #7
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Why not just put a weeker bulb in?
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-06, 08:26 PM   #8
Reh

OldJack

Its an interesting thought. That way the flashing light would draw your attention quicker, and you wouldn't have to worry about it till it started flashing.

If you go ahead with the mod, do let us know, I would be interested in following it up too!

But yeah you're not the only one, I have often found myself distracted by it too.

Interesting post though.
Old 21-09-06, 08:28 PM   #9
hovis

OR go to D I Y shop give the nice man a shinny 50p coin and ask for some black tape then cut about 2" off (you may need to ask an adult for help) stick the tape over the light

like magic the light has gone
Old 21-09-06, 08:36 PM   #10
Baph

I'd be very careful about swapping wires over tbh. I haven't looked at the schematic, but you may find only 2 wires supply the bulb. This would mean that the ECU (or fuel sensor itself) actually thinks "OK, the fuel is low, I'll pulse power down the wires" then "OK, so I'm getting desperate, time for a full warning". If that's the case, just use tape. Much easier than faffing with the ECU/fuel sensor.

I'll look at the schematic tomorrow when I get to the office & update.