SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Ancillaries Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on various other bits and bobs, such as rearsets, oil, engine bits.

Old 07-11-14, 08:28 PM   #1
southwestsam

Default Comms set-ups

So recently did a load of research into comms for the bike - wanted to have something that was primarily rider to pillion but that could become bike to bike if required.

In the end I went with 2x Motorola T80 extreme PMR446s (walkie talkies) with helmet headsets inc. handlebar mounted PTT button. Haven't had a chance to give them a full run yet but initial testing seems to have gone well!

In total it cost us £120 for the complete set up (£80 radios, £40 headsets).

What do you guys use and how much did it set you back? Be interested to hear pros and cons of various systems too...

Last edited by southwestsam; 07-11-14 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-11-14, 08:40 PM   #2
LiquidFlux

Default Re: Comms set-ups

Sena SMH10, a dual pack.

Completely changed riding solo and with a pillion, being able to listen to GPS directions when out, music when commuting, and being able to tap once to hands free answer a phone call is a total game changer.

No faffing about with volume controls when you change between town riding and faster dual carriageways / motorways, twist the knob and you're good to go. Don't like the song you're listening to? Press the knob in and twist.

Communication between the two intercoms is also pretty stellar, tap once and it pairs up. Sena have also been the first major producer to design their intercoms to pair up with basically any other brand, which sounds bizarre because it should be a feature they all support but none do, and it came in a firmware update dramatically increasing the functionality and value of the product without spending a penny more than I did originally.

Sena has secured me as a future customer when / if I look to upgrade.
Old 07-11-14, 08:48 PM   #3
southwestsam

The lack of compatibility was one reason I went with the PMR - any walkie talkie can communicate with another so long as the channel they are using is the same.

Having said that I'd probably quite like listening to music etc when I'm on a longer ride.
Old 07-11-14, 11:03 PM   #4
Tomor
Mega Poster

Had an interphone F5 and just replaced it with the sena 20s. Cost: not as much as it should have beenbut still expensive. Worth it though as I ride a lot with my dad so nice to be able to tell him to keep up

Sent from my magical portable device
Old 09-11-14, 10:18 PM   #5
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Scala G9, overall excellent now I've got used to it.

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 11:56 PM   #6
southwestsam

Went out for a test run today with the better half on the back...

The result: I'll be returning the headsets as not fit for purpose seeing as comms were inaudible over 25mph and investing in a Starcom1 Digital system in the new year!
Old 10-11-14, 12:08 AM   #7
LiquidFlux

The Senas I referenced can be used all the way up to motorway speeds, it's only up until you get to the 'Yes officer I was doing 70' speeds that the speakers aren't quite loud enough. This with earplugs in too.
Old 10-11-14, 05:38 PM   #8
munkygunn182

I've gone for an autocom logic system. Bombproof for a trip round Ireland and got everything I need.

Bike to bike + rider to pillion + phone in + music in + gps in. Solid bit of kit.
Old 10-11-14, 06:01 PM   #9
atassiedevil

I have a cheapy £66 for 2 units set.
With the Caberg helmet i can hear the lady up to around 80, which is a big improvement over where it was.
If i get her a Caberg she'll even be able to hear me too... I guess i better...

It's as much about how noisy the environment is as it is about how good the unit is. Either way, mine works for me.
Old 10-11-14, 09:07 PM   #10
Gary1966

Had a set of cobra walkie talkies for about 6 years now, no problems at all with them.
Above 60 mph they are hard to hear each other but we only use them at low speeds anyway, vox operated which when the Mrs gets on the gas and hits full revs on her sv 650 can come on but I like this really as it shows she is riding the bike as it should be ridden!!!!!!