SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Ever left your card in the reader?
Yep 4 12.90%
Nope 25 80.65%
Don't have a card/keithd 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-04-08, 09:39 PM   #1
Ed

Default How many of us have...

...left our bank cards in a POS machine. Come on, fess up.

I have - went to buy wifey some smellies as she's had a bit of a rough time recently over something, and F*CK!!! Where's my card??? Oh yes, I remember, I bought some fuel.... SO I went back this evening, yes they had it. Phew.
Old 22-04-08, 09:45 PM   #2
FG1

Default Re: How many of us have...

Not me but a mate actually walked away and left the cash in it. There was a guy waiting to use it aswell. By the time my mate realised the guy had gone.
I have to say, I pi55ed myself when he told me.
Old 22-04-08, 09:46 PM   #3
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Nope, never.

You daft thing, Ed

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-08, 09:51 PM   #4
Sean_C

My card is just for online buying, I only put money in the account when I have something I want to buy with it, otherwise it all stays in my building society account

Very very lucky, Ed! Someone must have been looking out for you..
Old 22-04-08, 10:02 PM   #5
Wayluya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furry Ginger One View Post
Not me but a mate actually walked away and left the cash in it. There was a guy waiting to use it aswell. By the time my mate realised the guy had gone.
I have to say, I pi55ed myself when he told me.
About 20 years ago I drove down to Spain with a Girlfreind (Mazda RX7 - I forget her name ), back then was juggling credit cards and bank overdrafts like crazy so holding actual cash was very comforting on a long trip!.......stopped in a small town in central Spain (looked like a Mexican town in a Spaghetti Western )......the only place open was a small traditional bakery / cake shop.....so we picked up something to eat in our pidgin Spanish......and set off down the road......about a 100k's later I said to the G/f - "get me fags out of my holdall, it's on the back seat"......yer can guess what was also in the bag..........and the rest ......back to town in record speed!...........and yer know what? - the holdall was still in the bakery and so was the cash

I still feel a bit bad about not thanking them properly - but I was in shock for both the loss AND the recovery.
Old 22-04-08, 10:12 PM   #6
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Nope, never.

Had a bit of a (heated) discussion with a cashier in B&Q not so long ago because he wanted me to give him my card to put in the chip and pin machine that was right in front of me. Now I thought the idea of chip and pin is that you don't have to hand your card over to someone?
Old 22-04-08, 10:15 PM   #7
Sean_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
Nope, never.

Had a bit of a (heated) discussion with a cashier in B&Q not so long ago because he wanted me to give him my card to put in the chip and pin machine that was right in front of me. Now I thought the idea of chip and pin is that you don't have to hand your card over to someone?
Indeed. Defeats the object otherwise, doesn't it? Well done for being on the ball. He might have "dropped" it and swiped it on one lower down..
Old 22-04-08, 10:51 PM   #8
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_C View Post
Indeed. Defeats the object otherwise, doesn't it? Well done for being on the ball. He might have "dropped" it and swiped it on one lower down..

That was the point i was trying to make but he was having none of it but then neither was i!!!

My local Tesco used to have a weird set up, you had to give them your card for them to swipe through the till, not the chip and pin machine and then you put your pin into the chip and pin machine
Old 22-04-08, 11:06 PM   #9
Jamie Slick

nope, not here. I'm the VP of a large credit union, and I've seen too many bad things happen so I'm extremely careful.
Old 22-04-08, 11:12 PM   #10
missyburd

I once left mine in the statement machine in the bank, didn't realise 'til I'd got to the next town a fair few miles away Had to get a replacement, on my third now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
Now I thought the idea of chip and pin is that you don't have to hand your card over to someone?
Hmmm, well a lot of people hand their card to me at the counter when I serve them, mainly because they don't know which way to put it in the machine But I only take it off them to put it straight in the machine, so they could see if I was doing anything 'dodgy' lol.