SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-05-06, 04:30 PM   #1
Speedy
Mega Poster

Default KNOCK-KNOCK!

Hi all!

Just had SV serviced today,whilst it was in,I mentioned that if riden over a bump or go down a 'pot-hole',I get a 'knock' through my steering,so I asked if they could check this!

When I went to collect SV,they said that the Forks need a strip-down and new oil!
The bike has covered 1600 miles,so personally,being a car mechanic,don't think this is the problem.

I was expecting them to have just adjusted the steering bearings (Headstock bearings? Can't remember correct name,being thick!) as to me,thats what it feels like thats making the noise/clonk!

I would attempt to do this myself,but have not got the correct tool,so until I find one,don't want to muller the lock ring/nut.

What do you think people?

Any help will be much appreciated,as I'd rather NOT have my forks dismantled with the risk of damage and the fault not being curred!

Cheers Peeps!

Speedy.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-06, 04:59 PM   #2
Carsick

if you mean a clunk from the front end as you go over a bump, then they all do that, to some degree or another.
Old 13-05-06, 05:22 PM   #3
t3dders

My SK5 has done 2400 miles and is due it's first service. I've noticed the same thing with my headstock and was going to mention it when I took it in. Like you I presumed it would be a simple case of tightening the lockring... So is this just a quirk of the SV?!
Old 13-05-06, 05:25 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

It's Character. There's a dozen theories on why it happens though. Sometimes it really is the head bearings, sometimes it's not. Some say it's the clocks or the headlight, but mine did it with the whole front (eh, bar the suspension) removed. On mine, I'm about 90% sure it was the fork internals.

They're suggesting new oil, because they don't want to admit they don't jnow whta it is, I suspect.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-06, 05:39 PM   #5
Speedy
Mega Poster

NOT nice is it t3dders!

Cheers northwind,you've confirmed what I was thinking!

Before it goes in the the fork oil change,I'll try and adjust the headstock bearings first......even if I have to make a tool!

Speedy
Old 13-05-06, 05:46 PM   #6
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
I'm about 90% sure it was the fork internals.
I would put my money on this as well. The 'knock' seems to have disappeared ever since I fitted new springs, oil and emulators.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-06, 07:14 PM   #7
Blue_SV650S

What they said ... could even be the pads knocking about in the callipers.

But I have to say I suspect the headset needs a bit of a tighten, not that unsurprising even given the mileage as, well things wear-in and if you are like me the front is in the air on a regular basis and the headrace can take a bit of a hammering!! .

If you are a mechanic (i.e. competent with a spanner (and hammer!!! ) then you should have no problem doing it yourself. If you don’t have a proper c-spanner, then I wouldn’t worry about it, the castle nuts that you need to undo/tighten don’t have to be that tight, therefore a nice fitting screwdriver and a good knock with a hammer is fine, you shouldn’t need to totally muller the nut!!!

I suggest you actually drop the yokes apart and grease the bearings, this is often forgotten and takes up that little bit of play, and makes the steering smoother in general!

The only thing you do need is a method of getting the front off the floor. Ideally a ABBA pro stand that means you can pivot the front up. However, you could probably have success with a mate, a trolley jack, using the sidestand and a bit of care.

You don’t even need to take the forks out, just loosen/take off the top yoke and then undo the castle nut with your screwdriver and some appropriate tapping. Then the bottom yoke (wheel, forks and all) will slide down allowing access to the bearings for you too grease up.

If you are a car mechanic then you know the rules about tightening bearings (I am sure you have done many a wheel bearings etc) so I won’t go into that.

Even if this isn’t the route of the problem, it is a good job done and will set the bike up in that department for a while!!
Old 13-05-06, 07:24 PM   #8
Speedy
Mega Poster

Hi Blue_SV650S!

Cheers mate!

Think I'll do that before it goes in,like I said,I'd rather fix it myself as opposed to someone else working on it and possibly damaging it. I'm very fussy about that sort of thing! (even though still under warranty!)

Thanks for your advice,I can't see that being too much of a job!

Yeah,done LOADS of bearings,and jobs that are more taxing than this sounds!

Thanx again!

Speedy
Old 13-05-06, 08:07 PM   #9
BILLY

Hi found this on SVRider.com

Referring to the sound of the front forks over small to large bumps...

The clunking that you hear when you go over bumps or hit the brakes too hard is coming from the steering bearings inside of what
looks like the frame on the front of your SV, what must be done to fix it is:

First, remove the triple tree, do this by loosening the two allan screws on either side of the tree, then remove the large nut on the middle of the triple tree, it is a 30mm nut, then carefully pull every thing off, the instrument cluster will come off with it, then you will see a round nut with three notches in it, you need to tighten that down with about five pounds of torque, put everything back on, and never hear the clunking again...

Tried this myself and it seems to have worked
Old 13-05-06, 10:47 PM   #10
haggis

I've replaced the head bearings with proper tapered roller types, and guess what. I still get the clunk.

The clunk in mine is from the brake disc, I'm almost sure of it.

Grab the disc outer and try to rotate it around the wheel, there is a bit of play in the disc buttons to about 1/2mm. A dull clunk every time.

The other thing it might be is the oil lock piece in the forks. When I had them stripped I noticed one was much tighter in the bottom of the stanchion than the other. This might be the culprit.