SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-07, 11:03 AM   #11
Ceri JC

Default Re: Biggest Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post

He said that because I was being so observant, consider this my lucky day, and hinted that he thought it should be a 40 zone, but he couldn't say that for some reason.
As an aside, I actually found when in North Wales recently (well, all the way north of mid Wales really) that the speed limits seem a lot more realistic. I found that lots of villages on NSLs were 40 (rather than the more common and often inappropriate 30) and hence I was a lot more inclined to adhere to them.

Old 02-07-07, 11:08 AM   #12
busasean

been caught twice in the city of london pulling big wheelies and both times got away with a proper bollocking at the side of the road, however third time lucky got caught in barkingside at got 3 points and £180 in court. got caught by surrey plod at 117mph on m25 and got 3 points and £60, but then got caught by the RUC in Northern Ireland at 75mph in a 60 limit on a duel carrigeway and got £680 fine. traffic plod? hate them!!!!

Old 02-07-07, 11:08 AM   #13
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
As an aside, I actually found when in North Wales recently (well, all the way north of mid Wales really) that the speed limits seem a lot more realistic. I found that lots of villages on NSLs were 40 (rather than the more common and often inappropriate 30) and hence I was a lot more inclined to adhere to them.
As I said in my post, my personal opinion is that if there's a school in the village (even not near the road), or there are shops by the road, then 30mph should apply (and I stick to that strictly).

When there's no need to be very very cautious (as in the case above, straight road, plenty of visibility, nothing in the village but a few houses & a campsite or two), then there's no point it being 30mph.

I don't pretend for a second that I stick to all speed limits. I prefer to take a common sense approach. If road conditions mean it's not safe to go at the speed limit, I ride below the speed limit. Same applies in reverse.

Last edited by Baph; 02-07-07 at 12:09 PM. Reason: backwards logic

Old 02-07-07, 11:32 AM   #14
svsk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by busasean View Post
traffic plod? hate them!!!!

Why? You admitted you were speeding or acting the lig. Can't blame the traffic police for that.

Old 02-07-07, 12:45 PM   #15
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Sort of got away with 120 on the motorway the other day. Overtook a car, carried on accelerating - looking in my mirrors to see blue flashing lights. Pull over and the police car just flys past - must have been on another shout! phew.

Other one was in a car. Driving home from work with my mate behind me. Rear windscreen is covered in crap so I can only see headlights. I See 2 headlights pull out to overtake behind me and think that it is my mate trying to over take me. Turned out it was a police car moving in between the two of us. Turn onto the last road before our houses (30 zone) and the car behind me starts flashing his headlights. I think it is my mate up for a race..... so I floor it! I'm apexing corners and get up to about 75 (only a litre metro!) and am just about to reach my house thinking I have won when they put their blue lights on. Got a big telling off, but somehow - maybe because they had sort of baited me into it, they didn't give me a ticket or caution or anything. Lucky escape!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
Old 02-07-07, 12:48 PM   #16
Baph

So far, the award looks like it goes to SV650Racer for being 80mph over the speed limit.

Old 02-07-07, 01:11 PM   #17
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Ok, first off, 'it is not big and it is not clever' and not advocating dong it ...

... but out of interest, who holds the 'getting nicked' speed record on the .org? ... i.e. who got caught speeding at the greatest speed?
Been there , done that and walked away with a Not-Guilty verdict.

In 1987 a copper tried to nick me and a mate for 'between 90 and 130mph' on Marston by-pass in Bedfordshire. I was on a borrowed GSXR750J, my mate was on his GSXR1100H. He chased us with an un-marked Audi 90 Quattro [1] that was on loan from VAG at Milton Keynes. He radioed ahead for a road block and they stopped us on Brogborough Hill just before Jct 13 of the M1.

When we went to court we pleaded Not-Guilty but told the magistrates exactly what points we did have on our licenses [2]. We did the usual stand up sit down procedures then the copper claimed during his giving of evidence that we had, and I quote "accelerated to their limits" and that he had kept a constant distance from us at all times. I used a load of documented performance and speed tests that I obtained from VAG themselves and a number of bike magazines to prove that an Audi 90 Quattro couldn't do 130 mph nor did it have anywhere near the acceleration to keep with a GSXR750 and a GSXR1100. I did at one point tell the copper that if he was seriously going to use these statements as evidence, then he was either very mistaken about ow fast we were actually travelling, or he was blatantly lying. The magistrates sided with us and let us walk.

When we were leaving the court a very red faced and angry copper approached us and told us that we couldn't be prosecuted again for the same offence, he then asked exactly how fast we were going. I told him I was flat out at 150 and my mate came past me, then I told him to Ferk Off and not try nicking me in future or I'd make him look a **** in court again - serves the b@stard right for lying in order to get a conviction.

[1] No calibrated speedo, copper alone. He said he could get the speedo
calibrated that afternoon by driving alongside another police car on the
motorway to determine how far out his speedo was. They didn't get the
chance, they wrote the Audi off 90 minutes after stopping us. I got this
info from my uncle who was Sales Director of an Audi dealership at the time, he was the one who also got me the performance details.
[2] If you go to court and plead Not-Guilty then they can not bring previous convictions to the courts notice, but we did tell the magistrates that we had 10 and 11 points on our licenses, we also told them that this is the first time we had ever pleaded Not-Guilty in court. I suppose that went in our favour too.

Old 02-07-07, 01:48 PM   #18
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
So far, the award looks like it goes to SV650Racer for being 80mph over the speed limit.
I can equal that, when I was 20 and very silly, I borrowed a mates FZ600 (FZR400 chassis with an XJ600 engine) and got into a race with a Renault 5 Turbo. End result is me getting pulled by a bike cop for doing 120 in a 40......

It goes to court, I stand there pooing myself, as the court convenes the Police solicitor leans over and tells me I am a very lucky man, there has been a problem with the paperwork and they are going to drop the charges!!

Got away with that one, only to get pulled doing 65 in a 30 a few months later......

I have now learnt my lesson

Old 02-07-07, 02:56 PM   #19
Bluewolf

I had a policeman frown at me in quite a deliberate way recently, he must have been one step away from waggling his finger at me I swear...

Old 02-07-07, 03:17 PM   #20
northwind
Mega Poster

I got stopped for 36 in a 30, at the end of my street, on the way home from last year's AR. Only time I've ever been caught...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
Closed Thread