SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-10-15, 07:24 PM   #11
ageing biker

Default Re: Young rider problems.

I had a 2000 busa for three years and I think it was one of the best bikes I have owned, comfortable to ride on a long journey , But, I am only 5'-5" short and you will probably find at your height it will be very cramped.
Old 06-10-15, 05:40 AM   #12
Specialone

Sports bikes aren't designed for six footers, I've felt cramped on any I've ridden /sat on, the big adventure bikes are surprisingly nimble in the corners, they certainly aren't slow, my explorer has 137hp and I can't believe anyone would need anymore power on our roads, it's like the starship enterprise in warp mode, one second you're in one place the next you're somewhere else with no memory of the bit in between.

The ktm 1190 or Ducati multistrada would embarrass a few sports bikes, that's for sure.
Old 06-10-15, 07:09 AM   #13
Clarky

You say young rider problems... im turning 24 in January and looking at 600 GSXR / 675 Daytona ...

Although garages down here are encouraging for a test ride =/
Old 06-10-15, 09:54 AM   #14
ageing biker

Your right about big adventure bikes, I have had trouble keeping with these especially on the twisties, if I was taller I would like to have one, loads of power and torque, only problem is carrying the step ladder.
Old 06-10-15, 07:53 PM   #15
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

I'm 5'8" and riding a tiger explorer...had a KTM SM-T before that which was even taller, you don't have to be over 6 foot....

I agree that if I were 6'2" though I would be looking to demo ride some of the bigger adventure bikes, a KTM 1190 will fly (based on what I know from my old 990), a tiger explorer is a good balance between all aspects (comfort, mpg, power, handling) but I got mine mainly for mile munching, it's not great at any one thing but it's a nice ride for so many reasons....but I would say that

If you want a sports bike for big people go KTM adventure 1190 I'd say...atleast go and test ride these style bikes! They've been around for a few years now so S/H ones are about, plus if you're looking at the end of the season (i.e. now) you'll find good reductions on new bike prices and decent HP deals with all the extras thrown in etc...or if you can affort one the new BMW S1000XR would be right up your street I bet but after extras etc the price gets silly...

Go test ride some adventure bikes mate, you'd be surprised what you can do on one....you might well leave your mates in the distance going through the twisties

Triumph and Suzuki owner

Last edited by kaivalagi; 06-10-15 at 08:02 PM.
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 08:42 PM   #16
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Mr LPH is 6'2 and has the KTM 990 Adventure and loves it. It's still got plenty of grunt with me on the back, although I'm only 8 stone. He has great fun chucking it around the twisty bends of Essex and beyond.
Old 07-10-15, 07:30 AM   #17
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall_farley View Post
What's up Newcastle way Andrew? I'll come up yeah

As for tilstons I won't buy a bike from them regardless they are bell ends!

Haha I want a thou but thanks for the offer SIII
M&S motorcycles, triumph and mv north east and Honda Newcastle

Or Ian bells yamaha at Bedlington

sent with all the fury of a clogged drain!!

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-15, 08:18 AM   #18
Niall_farley

Default Young rider problems.

Cheers for the comments guys I might look into them as well then. Truth be told if I had the money I'd have a garage full of every style bike going!
Niall_farley is offline   Reply With Quote