SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-11-16, 09:11 AM   #41
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Re: Dispensing with the oil cooler - 650 pointy

Damn

Should have kicked in at c105.

Does the rad get as gunked up as the oil rad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-16, 09:14 AM   #42
aesmith

Radiator stays clean. I must admit to be a bit puzzled, but need to check the basics. The engine sounded and ran normally, smelled a bit hot but not seriously hot, no smell of coolant like you'd get if it had been blowing from the radiator cap.

I would say it's perfectly possible the fan switch is faulty, doesn't really explain why it got that hot in the first place.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-16, 09:16 AM   #43
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Not in this weather anyway, my pointy used to jump up sharply as soon as I stopped moving in the height of summer but never winter, struggled to hit 80 or 90.

Very odd, hope you get it sorted soon mate

Old 02-11-16, 12:24 PM   #44
aesmith

Rather embarrassingly the overheating issue seems to have been caused by shortage of coolant. (Unless it's the other way round and overheating caused the coolant loss). I couldn't shift the radiator cap at work so did an emergency top-up by removing one of the hoses, and the bike ran at normal temperatures on the way home. Now properly topped up it was normal into work this morning as well. I still need to test it up to full temperature, make sure it doesn't vent and that the fan comes on.
Old 02-11-16, 02:30 PM   #45
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Embarrassing maybe, but better than having to pick bits of engine and yourself up from a road, definitely!

Old 03-11-16, 09:32 AM   #46
Blapper

Sounds to me like it could be a slightly blown head gasket as you haven't said there are signs of leakage form any hose joints or the rad itself. If the fan didn't come on when it was hot, it sure won't now it has the right amount of coolant so don't go drawing any conclusions from the fan not coming on now. If your rad isn't blocked, I will put a small bet on it being a head gasket.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-16, 11:04 PM   #47
madcockney

Regarding the original heat exchanger query I would like to add that oil in engines not only lubricates but is used as part of the cooling system. Oil gets to parts of the engine that normal water based coolants can't and removes the heat from there, and then the temperature needs to be reduced prior to the cycle repeating. So it not not just to stop the oil boiling off, breaking down, etc though important, but also to allow it to continue with removal of heat.

I don't think that Suzuki would install an oil cooler if they did not think one was required, though we have to remember that SVs are used in hotter climates than here in the UK. I would agree that it is located in a rather stupid place and could do with being relocated, but I have never had the same sort of issues the OP had. (I have however had a perforated oil filter canister after a thousand miles in use, and was worried about the oil cooler and is why I ended up fitting a fender extender.) I have both of the radiator and the oil coolers fitted with guards but to be honest they probably have limited affect if you require adequate cooling. I also make sure that these are kept clean, but though I ride throughout the year I don't ride everyday as the OP does. Sometimes it is when you are stopped or moving in slow traffic that the temperature rises, particularly in summer rather than when moving briskly and have good airflow. However that is likely to be more related to the radiator cooling system than the oil side.
madcockney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-16, 11:13 AM   #48
aesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blapper View Post
Sounds to me like it could be a slightly blown head gasket ..
Hope not. What I'm going to do is try and get the engine properly hot, check that the fan comes on etc, and check it's not venting once it hits 100 degrees or so. There doesn't appear to be signs of water in the oil, but there's an oil change coming up soon (isn't there always with the SV!) so can see what it looks like then.

Not sure what else I should check.