SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-05-20, 04:49 AM   #1
fulburncams

Default Minimal Change for Track Day

So once the lock-down is over (autumn maybe ?) I have promised myself a track day. I am old ( 62 ;-( ), fit and cannot spend a lot so looking to mildly tune my SV650S K3 for the day. I am not looking to do anything to the engine apart from service and oil change, but would like to know what improvements i can make to the brakes and suspension so i do not end up in the barriers. I dont want to do a whole GSXR 600 front end change , just want to understand if i can improve on the stock eqpt. I have previously changed calipers , discs , pads so I am not a complete numpty, just wonder what others would recommend. Thanks
fulburncams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 04:55 AM   #2
wsmc549

Default Re: Minimal Change for Track Day

Springs and oil up front and ZX6/10/14 shock on the rear. Under $200 for parts. No clue on labor but might as well do the front seals/covers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
wsmc549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 06:08 AM   #3
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc549 View Post
Springs and oil up front and ZX6/10/14 shock on the rear. Under $200 for parts. No clue on labor but might as well do the front seals/covers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
As above or buy a rear shock that bolts straight in the Kwak ones need the battery box modifying.

I had a hagon shock on mine

Brakes just braided lines, new pads and service the calipers.

But before going to the expense, just do a track day, sv is perfectly good to use unmodified, it's a very forgiving bike
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 02:04 PM   #4
Dave20046
Mega Poster

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=236118
Old 02-05-20, 01:57 PM   #5
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post

But before going to the expense, just do a track day, sv is perfectly good to use unmodified, it's a very forgiving bike
This, repeated several times over until you stop having to ask what needs doing....because you will know for yourself.

The SV is a great first time track bike, it's fast enough to be interesting, soft enough to be forgiving, and cheap enough not to have to worry to much about......

Just cover the basics, make sure it's mechanically sound, fairly recent oil change, chain etc properly adjusted. If you want to get your hands dirty change the brake fluid and clean the calipers, which is a good way to check pads at the same time. Brakes are the only thing that gets a significantly harder time on a track than they normally do on the road. If it's a dry day then whatever tyres you normally run will be just fine as long as they still have their profile. By this I mean the rear isn't squared off and the front is still even all the way across, so no steps in the tread blocks. Neither are the end of the world but they will make the bike feel horrible in the transition period as you go in and out of corners and can really knock your confidence.

Mirrors are a personal thing. Most track day organisers will tell you to tape them up or take them off which has it's merits because it's up to the rider behind to avoid you, not the other way round, however being buzzed unexpectedly by someone just as you are about to drop into a bend can be pretty off-putting so it's really a question of how confident you are about dealing with that...cos it will happen! Taking them off can also reduce the bill should anything unfortunate happen, ditto indicators and number plates.

You will hear lots about tyre pressures. Take a pressure gauge with you if you have one but do the first session with them at your normal road pressures (well maybe let a little out of the rear if you are one of these people who runs 42psi all the time......) That way the bike will feel as normal as possible. As soon as you get in check your pressures. You want to be aiming for somewhere around 32-34 front 36-38 rear hot, so you're probably going to let at least 10 psi out of the rear......... Remember to put some back in at the end of the day!

Above all else have fun, but be warned it's addictive!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 08:52 PM   #6
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Fork springs are the worst part by a mile. Brakes and bouncy bits are good enough for a novice, and you have to start putting serious money in to see more power. Go and give it a go. As red herring says, give it a good once over, and make sure the tyres are good, if in doubt get something sticky, especially up front. Tyre pressures, you can get a technician to do this for you on the day for nothing usually. I use 31psi front/30psi rear (cold) on the track, 33/36 on the road. Never checked them hot. You'll get through pretty much a full tank of juice as well, on the day. Don't bother with mirrors, you have enough to be thinking of, and anyway earplugs are a good thing as you'll be going fast and making the engine scream. Most of all, have fun!
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 11:22 AM   #7
fulburncams

Thankyou for all your feedback, will give it a go post lockdown.
fulburncams is offline   Reply With Quote