SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-05-22, 04:04 PM   #10621
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Soldering. Hate it. I can't.

Always seems to me I need an extra hand, one to hold the wire, one to hold the iron, and one to feed the solder.

Grrrr.....
there are a few things to successful soldering or as the yanks like to call it soddering.

clean bare wire with no corrosion. a HOT iron that is well tinned. decent thin cored solder. blu-tack.

use the blu-tack to hold the wire in place. put blu-tack on surface and press the wire into it near the part you want to solder. if your joining two wires then use two opposing bits of blu-tack. this leaves your hands free to hold the iron and solder.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-22, 05:03 PM   #10622
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
there are a few things to successful soldering or as the yanks like to call it soddering.

clean bare wire with no corrosion. a HOT iron that is well tinned. decent thin cored solder. blu-tack.

use the blu-tack to hold the wire in place. put blu-tack on surface and press the wire into it near the part you want to solder. if your joining two wires then use two opposing bits of blu-tack. this leaves your hands free to hold the iron and solder.
Blutac.... why did I never think of that? You genius Bibs (which we knew already). I hate soldering on the very odd occasion I need to try it for the same reason as Gary. Next time I'll try the Tac!
Old 12-05-22, 07:36 PM   #10623
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Buy a helping hand. Not expensive and very useful. Also use decent flux, even if you're using flux core solder. Don't use lead free solder.

Also heat the wire from underneath and melt the solder in from the top so it soaks through and penetrates the wires rather than being a surface "cold" solder which will fail and break eventually.

I really enjoy soldering. Strange I know.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-22, 06:05 PM   #10624
EssEllTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
https://www.thecasefarm.co.uk/waterp...he-difference/

It seems that it's waterproof to 50m, but by calling it water-resistant, they're getting out of any liability from it.

My Sony Z5 phone was claimed to be IP68, the marketing for it showed people swimming with one and taking pics under water.

I took it on the Lazy River at Typhoon Lagoon, forgetting there was a waterfall section so it got a little wet, but not "water jet" wet. I dried it off and stuck it in a locker for the rest of the day, not thinking any more about it. When it came to going home, the phone was red hot and constantly flicking the camera on and the screen was shaking.

Sony claimed that "you're not supposed to let it get wet", despite their claim of IP65 and the marketing material, still showing on their site at the time showing it being used underwater. Clearly only IP65 under strict lab conditions. A complete con!

Last edited by EssEllTwo; 19-05-22 at 08:37 PM.
EssEllTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-22, 07:49 PM   #10625
Grant66

I used my Z3 to go snorkeling, even took some fish pics.
Worked flawlessly for another 6 months until upgrading.

When I got it out of the draw some years later the back of the phone fell off. The glue holding it in had dried out, still worked though.

Sent from an S20 using Tapatalk with that kin cr4p blocked
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-22, 07:43 AM   #10626
Seeker
Mega Poster

Laying loft insulation in a hot attic, then discovering yet another electrical chocolate block (thank you original owner), this one in the lighting circuit plus a mysterious metal box with many wires entering (I'm pretending I didn't see it) and there's a hole around the boiler flue (at the roof exit) that needs filling.
Old 14-05-22, 12:32 PM   #10627
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Working yet another Saturday. I'm not meant to be but I've taken up the slack as no one else has stepped up on the blank rota. Also meant to be at least two of us in and I'm on my own. Trying to do all the repairs and answer phone and people at the door interupting. Trying to finish jobs workng stop start is not efficient. Feeling quite fried.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-22, 12:52 PM   #10628
Seeker
Mega Poster

Carpet gripping strips! It's like fighting an army of scorpions, no matter how careful you are they'll grab a finger and try and go up a finger nail. Sure they'll grip the carpet but not quite where you want it and then fight you for the right to lift the edge whilst stabbing you relentlessly (I may be dehydrated).
Old 17-05-22, 03:52 PM   #10629
redtrummy

Car goes into limp mode, code shows MAS sensor problems but sometimes no error logged. Sensor changed still doing it. Its on its third sensor in two years. Anyone out there with a few words of wisdom? (Besides sell the car)
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-22, 04:24 PM   #10630
Grant66

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Car goes into limp mode, code shows MAS sensor problems but sometimes no error logged. Sensor changed still doing it. Its on its third sensor in two years. Anyone out there with a few words of wisdom? (Besides sell the car)
Is it a diesel?
Or a petrol with a turbo?

Sent from an S20 using Tapatalk with that kin cr4p blocked

Last edited by Grant66; 17-05-22 at 04:26 PM.
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote