SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-08-24, 08:49 AM   #4251
redtrummy

Default Re: The All New Megathread

What price a life? Accident rates since the 20mph speed limit was introducedare down some 23%. Traveling to Wales after the new speed limit it didn't seem to us that it was a blanket 20mph limit. I am sure it was not perfectly implemented and it will need some revisions. Re SVs last point , I suppose it is down to common sense and experience. How many new drivers are put in situations where safety considerations need to be made? Its a sanitized world we live in.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-24, 08:53 AM   #4252
redtrummy

My 250 gall capacity water butts are nearly empty - need some rain, not had a significant amount for weeks
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-24, 09:37 AM   #4253
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Some of the worst offenders with regard to breaking the 20 limit around here are the farming crowd. The speed that some of the monster tractor and trailer/muck spreader/sileage machine combos, the size of and HGV, are doing through the centre of town is unbelievable. Most of them are not even within the old 30mph limit, never mind 20mph.
Thats the same all over Gary. The police need to start prosecutions because almost everything comes off second best to these big tractors. Hitting farmers in the pocket really does make them behave

I've said it a few times on here, but speeding / carelessly driven tractors is the reason I have a dashcam.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-24, 05:35 PM   #4254
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
What price a life? Accident rates since the 20mph speed limit was introducedare down some 23%. .

Maybe less people traveled to Wales , so less traffic. We live in Shropshire and stopped going to Wales, as I am sure may others did. To prove a real drop they need to show accidents per so many miles driven dropped, not just the headline figure of accidents overall. Come to think of it if we had a man with a red flag in front of every vehicle the accident rate will drop some more, but don't suggest that within Starmers earshot.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-24, 06:29 PM   #4255
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
... Come to think of it if we had a man with a red flag in front of every vehicle the accident rate will drop some more, but don't suggest that within Starmers earshot.
It's been said before that if you replaced the airbag in the steering wheel of cars with a 12" spike then the accident rate would probably reduce dramatically!

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
We're been travelling through Oxfordshire today. Every town/village is a 20 limit. Saw very few NSL's, nearly all were 50's. Is Oxfordshire in Wales?
Looks like Oxfordshire has caught up: Up 'til about 5 years ago I used to live in the south of Warwickshire (where there were already plenty of former-NSL 50 limits) and it was noticeable that many of those roads became NSL again right on the county line into Oxfordshire.

I remain to be convinced that there's a noticeable safety difference in reality between driving at 50mph and 60mph for the typical driver nowadays. (Although since many seem to travel at 40-45mph anyway I guess that's a moot point! Seems the psychology of displaying many more speed limit signs + repeaters has had the desired effect?) And there's always been the issue that there are still many who can't limit themselves in NSL to 60mph, or within a sensible safe margin thereabouts - do those offenders really think any differently about compliance in the new 50 zones?
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-24, 05:41 AM   #4256
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Morning all. Train trip to Birmingham today. Off to see one of my daughters for a musical rehearsal in prep for a gig we have at a small charity festival in Scotland(!) in about 3 weeks time. Let's hope the train journey is more successful than the last one, which, unusually for TfW, was a disaster.

How's the weekend looking for everyone else?
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-24, 09:23 AM   #4257
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
My 250 gall capacity water butts are nearly empty - need some rain, not had a significant amount for weeks
I suspect today may help! Plenty of wet stuff falling out of the sky here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
How's the weekend looking for everyone else?
I think I'll be spending today inside the house and/or the shed. I had intended to do a pre-MOT underbody inspection check on my car but nowadays I draw the line at crawling aroung on the floor in the rain unless it's essential breakdown repairs. Hopefully the rest of the weekend will give me a windown of dry time to fit it in. Other than that I have few plans.

Last edited by Ruffy; 24-08-24 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Added extra text
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-24, 11:17 AM   #4258
Craig380
Mega Poster

No plans really, keeping an eye out for a break in the weather so I can get a ride in!
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-24, 01:23 PM   #4259
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Miserable day here at Trev Towers but I'll be tidying the shed a bit once I've finished the cuppa sat beside me.

Good forecast for the next two days so will get a spin out on Bullseye at some point as an antidote to rubbing down/painting the only wooden window frame I have left (garage side window) and staining the shed. Grass needs a cut, weeds need attacking, pruning, bits of facia trim to be glued back on... It's a fairly long list...
Old 24-08-24, 04:48 PM   #4260
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

How many spiders can one 6x10 shed support? I've only scratched the surface of the junk stored in there and I disturbed (it seemed) hundreds of them!

Do any of you use a camping stove with the pierce-the-top style canister? I came across a Coleman one we probably rescued from father in law's garage after he passed away. It's unused, obvs. If anyone would like it let me know and we'll see if a suitable meet up can be sorted for a handover.