SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-02-22, 04:40 PM   #10461
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
A couple things occur to me, why 10mph below the maximum speed permitted, and how does this improve safety?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
if you have ever driven a fully loaded transit then you would understand.. think barge in a stormy sea all courier depots have weigh bridges and if your gross weight does not meet the spec you have to turn round and unload stuff till it does.

one of the worst roads in Scotland for getting a speeding ticket in a van is the one too Aberdeen.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-22, 07:15 PM   #10462
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
Vans are subject to 60mph on a dual carriageway, if they're not car derived van (EG a Fiesta van is subject to Car speed limits)

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits
Ah, I don't know that. I was aware that trucks are limited to 40mph on single carriageways and that's another bone of contention when you live in a rural area and get stuck behind one for miles.

Last edited by admin; 16-02-22 at 07:23 PM.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-22, 07:21 PM   #10463
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
if you have ever driven a fully loaded transit then you would understand.. think barge in a stormy sea all courier depots have weigh bridges and if your gross weight does not meet the spec you have to turn round and unload stuff till it does.

one of the worst roads in Scotland for getting a speeding ticket in a van is the one too Aberdeen.
That makes some sense. This vehicle was actually pickup with a truckman body on the load area.

Old 16-02-22, 07:44 PM   #10464
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

My van is limited to 60 everywhere.. just because it's crap.

Lots of people are caught out by the 60mph dual carriageway van limit and get tickets not realising.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-22, 11:20 PM   #10465
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Ah, I don't know that. I was aware that trucks are limited to 40mph on single carriageways and that's another bone of contention when you live in a rural area and get stuck behind one for miles.

If trucks are limited to 40mph on single carriageways the truck drivers around here don't observe that. They travel as fast as me on the bike or in the car when I am doing 60mph !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-22, 12:53 AM   #10466
embee
Mega Poster

GOTD
I had to apply the new Highway Code rules today regarding pedestrian priority when waiting to cross at a junction. In a town on a moderately busy road through a housing area, I (in car) wanted to turn right into a side road. A pedestrian was standing at the kerb in the side road.

Now the dilemma. Do I sit in the bigger road indicating right and wait for the person to cross, meanwhile holding up the traffic behind me for no apparent (to them) reason, the pedestrian just standing still waiting for me to turn? Do I turn into the side road and then stop, blocking the entry and only just clear of the bigger road and wait for the person to cross while they stand and look at me? Do I ignore it all and just turn in and drive on, let the person decide when it is safe for them to cross as was always the case?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!!!!!!! Goddam ****ing stupid rule, **** for brains idea from someone in Westminster.

Rather than totally p*** everyone off waiting behind me I turned into the side road and stopped, I and the pedestrian then looked at each other for what seemed like an age, I felt totally vulnerable and stupid sitting just into the side road when it was clear in front of me. Eventually they decided to cross and I could proceed as usual.

I felt so bad about what the situation had been I have decided I won't do it again. If the pedestrian is crossing then of course they have priority, but if they are just standing beside the kerb looking blank then I really don't want to be obliged to create what I felt was a dangerous situation.
Old 17-02-22, 08:27 AM   #10467
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
GOTD
I had to apply the new Highway Code rules today regarding pedestrian priority when waiting to cross at a junction. In a town on a moderately busy road through a housing area, I (in car) wanted to turn right into a side road. A pedestrian was standing at the kerb in the side road.

Now the dilemma. Do I sit in the bigger road indicating right and wait for the person to cross, meanwhile holding up the traffic behind me for no apparent (to them) reason, the pedestrian just standing still waiting for me to turn? Do I turn into the side road and then stop, blocking the entry and only just clear of the bigger road and wait for the person to cross while they stand and look at me? Do I ignore it all and just turn in and drive on, let the person decide when it is safe for them to cross as was always the case?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!!!!!!! Goddam ****ing stupid rule, **** for brains idea from someone in Westminster.

Rather than totally p*** everyone off waiting behind me I turned into the side road and stopped, I and the pedestrian then looked at each other for what seemed like an age, I felt totally vulnerable and stupid sitting just into the side road when it was clear in front of me. Eventually they decided to cross and I could proceed as usual.

I felt so bad about what the situation had been I have decided I won't do it again. If the pedestrian is crossing then of course they have priority, but if they are just standing beside the kerb looking blank then I really don't want to be obliged to create what I felt was a dangerous situation.
I just wave people across in that situation.......

.....and then I run them over!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-22, 08:43 AM   #10468
redtrummy

Not on a very busy road but I stopped to wait for pedestrians to cross, (I wanted to turn right) and we just looked at each other for ages. May not have been too bad had an unfortunate accident happened though - it was outside the Doctors surgery so help would have been close by!
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-22, 11:01 PM   #10469
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
... it was outside the Doctors surgery so help would have been close by!
Help from a doctor's surgery? Ha! We still can't get a face to face appointment at ours. Telephone appointments only FFS!

How on earth they can diagnose properly without some sort of inspection or examination is beyond me - Google?
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-22, 12:34 AM   #10470
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
GOTD

I think you have to judge the situation as to whether you are going to create a dangerous situation with other vehicles by waiting for a pedestrian to cross and hope the pedestrian has enough sense not to step out in front of a moving vehicle if you decide not to wait for them to start crossing. I agree, a stupid new rule . If I am the pedestrian I would tend to wave the motorist on and wait until it is safe to cross.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote