SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-01-09, 02:41 PM   #1171
krhall

Default Re: The running thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
dunno?
last week (which wa my first) i did 27 mins, i think i could have started a bit quicker, but as it was the first time i was unsure of the pace to go at, there was a group of about 5 people that "got away" last week, i would like to keep up with them, if they turn up

what do you think is do-able

i would like sub 25 mins
My advice would be to aim to trim a little off at a time - 2 mins out of a 5k distance is a hell of a lot of time.

Perhaps 15 secs week one would be a good target?
Old 30-01-09, 02:44 PM   #1172
krhall

The next couple of months will dissappear well quickly for you mate......just concentrate on the long runs and staying fit and injury free mate.

In a funny way I envy you.....I am starting to think about doing another marathon this year, just not sure which one and if I have the patience to train again for one.
Old 30-01-09, 02:54 PM   #1173
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post
My advice would be to aim to trim a little off at a time - 2 mins out of a 5k distance is a hell of a lot of time.

Perhaps 15 secs week one would be a good target?
yeah, sorry i did not mean 25 mins tomorrow, i meant thats a time to aim for

when the publish the results on the net, they compare all your results, and you can look back and see how you have improved, im hoping for a PB tomorrow though

the winner did it in 16mins
Old 30-01-09, 03:20 PM   #1174
Dappa D

hey guys....i do not run....

i run when i play football twice a week....

my stamina is not what it was (on the pitch that is ).....

from monday i will be running every week night....only round the block to start with which is literally only about 1000 metres....im hoping to start like this and then build up....anything i should know at this point or wait untill im upping my distance and come back to ya?
Old 30-01-09, 03:23 PM   #1175
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappa D View Post
hey guys....i do not run....

i run when i play football twice a week....

my stamina is not what it was (on the pitch that is ).....

from monday i will be running every week night....only round the block to start with which is literally only about 1000 metres....im hoping to start like this and then build up....anything i should know at this point or wait untill im upping my distance and come back to ya?
i would say only do it 4-5 times a week, as you need to rest.
Old 30-01-09, 03:35 PM   #1176
krhall

I've only done one and that was 22mins dead and I was knackered.

Set yourself short goals that you can reach regularly and then perhaps a bigger goal for 6 months, that way you, hopefully, get a regular boost from improvement.

Don't forget that every 3 or 4 weeks you should have a drop back week, where you train less and at a slower pace.
Old 30-01-09, 03:43 PM   #1177
krhall

Run 3 nights per week mate for the first month. Your body although used to exercise needs to get used to pounding pavement, which is very different.

Run at a slowish pace too, at least until you have done a couple of weeks.

Don't worry if you have to run/walk/run, you probably won't but if you do you are going too quick.

If you are serious about it invest in some running shoes and some running socks. I recommend Hilly Twin Skins of Falke RU3. As for the shoes if you have a good running shop near you go there for advice.
Old 30-01-09, 04:09 PM   #1178
Dappa D

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
i would say only do it 4-5 times a week, as you need to rest.
yep monday-friday...5 times..rest weekend...

then when i get to a point where my distance can up by say double then ill do it 4 times a week

edit - thanks khall posted this before your advice!
Old 30-01-09, 04:22 PM   #1179
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappa D View Post
yep monday-friday...5 times..rest weekend...

then when i get to a point where my distance can up by say double then ill do it 4 times a week

edit - thanks khall posted this before your advice!
i would not do 5 days in a row, split it up a bit
Old 30-01-09, 04:31 PM   #1180
krhall

Other than a potential injury, if you don't get a decent recovery you won't enjoy it as much as your legs will get progressively tired.

All that said, I gave football up about 3 years ago and played a one off Sunday league match where the proceeds went to my marathon fundraising and I was f***ed afterwards!