SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-12-08, 01:40 AM   #121
pencil shavings

Default Re: Another terrorist attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Now see, me not being a Muslim, I naturally blend the two. Someone threatens my life in some way, they are encroaching on my "righteous living."

But no, I do get your point, and we're pretty much in agreement about the whole thing anyway.

As for trying to understand aspects of Muslim life - I gave up a long time ago, when a college friend of mine signed up to the KKK. Muslim fella living at home with his family, and supplied all the real information. Given his name, it was safe to assume he definitely isn't white!
yep, I completly see your point too

well im off to bed now! have to do this all again tomorrow morning in my seminar on the ethics armed humanitarian intervention. joy!
Old 01-12-08, 12:03 PM   #122
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
You argue that the Islamic terrorists are not performing their acts of terrorism in the name of Islam; why are they killing people in the name of Allah then?
They are not, again this is the misinterpretation everybody is getting from all the comic book newspapers! They are not killing in the name of there god, they are asking there god for there forgiveness.

Have you ever met a suicide bomber? I have, and their god is not telling them to do it. Listen to what they say and you can see there reasoning behind it, I am not saying I support it but you can see how they began.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
maybe someone will actually find a religious act of terrorism because so far none have been down to the guidance of religion.
I'm still waiting for someone to find one...
Old 01-12-08, 12:19 PM   #123
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
They are not, again this is the misinterpretation everybody is getting from all the comic book newspapers! They are not killing in the name of there god, they are asking there god for there forgiveness.

Have you ever met a suicide bomber? I have, and their god is not telling them to do it. Listen to what they say and you can see there reasoning behind it, I am not saying I support it but you can see how they began.

I'm still waiting for someone to find one...
What is their reasoning generally?
Old 01-12-08, 12:42 PM   #124
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
What is their reasoning generally?
Look up the history of the British Empire, look what we have done to the world and what we still continue to do.

If someone did that to you and your family would you not want revenge? I would, and I am a soldier who has to combat terrorism and deal with these peolpe face to face.
Old 01-12-08, 12:53 PM   #125
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

What even 50 years since the empires downfall?
Old 01-12-08, 12:57 PM   #126
jimmy__riddle

Quote:
Look up the history of the British Empire, look what we have done to the world and what we still continue to do.

If someone did that to you and your family would you not want revenge? I would, and I am a soldier who has to combat terrorism and deal with these peolpe face to face.
i dont see half the world going after germany, and im pretty sure concentration camps come pretty highly in worst things done in the last 100 years.
Old 01-12-08, 01:03 PM   #127
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
What even 50 years since the empires downfall?
We are fuel hungry, what do you think Iraq is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrichardson View Post
i dont see half the world going after germany, and im pretty sure concentration camps come pretty highly in worst things done in the last 100 years.
But that wasn't the country, it was the few in power who were then later trialled for war crimes.
Old 01-12-08, 01:07 PM   #128
jimmy__riddle

Quote:

But that wasn't the country, it was the few in power who were then later trialled for war crimes.
thats the same with any situation. of course ultimately the country cannot be held responsible, its the people running it.

yes, many governments and people have done terrible things, us included, however this is no excuse for deliberately targeting civillians.

the point still stands, germany doesnt take the blame for the acts of the nazis, as we should not take the blame for the actions of our government 100 yrs ago.
Old 01-12-08, 01:07 PM   #129
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:

Gotta agree with the last two posts, old British Imperialism has nothing to do with modern day fanatics.

I'm no expert, but I do know a little about the British Empire, and I can tell you that we didn't take over a third of the world with a few hundred thousand men by p!ssing off the entire population of every country we invaded as you suggest.
Old 01-12-08, 01:27 PM   #130
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel View Post
Gotta agree with the last two posts, old British Imperialism has nothing to do with modern day fanatics.
More newspaper facts? I never said that is everybody's thinking, that was one answer to one known terrorist group.

The fact is the west has robbed for its own rewards, we have left countries poor and we have left innocent families in hunger. We have also supported wars which had no direct interset to us, for the highest bidder or to who may be of use in the future.

The original post was about religion being the founder and supporter of terrorism, yet nobody can find a terrorist group who are operating under the guidance of a god.