SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Should Scotland be an independent country?
Yes 24 34.78%
No 36 52.17%
Keithd 9 13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-14, 05:26 PM   #121
SIII
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Org Scottish Referendum

We have had a totally independent education system for more years than I can quote !!! So there will be zero change !
Old 12-09-14, 05:28 PM   #122
Spank86

Scotland makes the same difference that any other part of the UK with 8-9% of the population makes, well slightly more actually.

Scotland has got the party it voted for every time Labour were in power regardless of their votes not being the deciding factor, a bigger margin is better for Labour since they cant use the whip on every vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIII View Post
We have had a totally independent education system for more years than I can quote !!! So there will be zero change !
Oh dear.

Last edited by Spank86; 12-09-14 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-09-14, 05:30 PM   #123
SIII
Mega Poster

Unhappy Re: The Org Scottish Referendum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
I think you've elegantly presented an argument for Scotland's independence based on how they couldn't do worse than the UK has done.

I await with great interest the results of Scotland independence on their education system.
Thank you.

I hope we get a YES, because the backlash from the next four westminster governments is going to bring Scotland to its knees.
Old 12-09-14, 05:33 PM   #124
SvNewbie

Quote:
I really don't care about any of these numbers, just i will argue them. There are lies, damn lies & then tehere's statistics. These numbers are created in England !
Ah, I see, trolling.

Quote:
All i care about is having an elected parliament that I had a say in. In the last 50 years, how Scotland voted has had not effect on the outcome of a general election. take our votes out, since 1954, an the results will not change.
That's a reasonable argument. Of course you'd not expect 10% of the vote to swing an election all that often by the time it's divided among Labour, Lib Dem and SNP.

I wonder where all the people who care about getting a representative democracy were hiding during the AV referendum. I guess having a more proportional representative government just isn't as sexy as FREEDOM!

Quote:
I honestly don't care any more about numbers, what currency, in or out europe, NHS, All I care about is in 2016 we will be an autonomous country controling our own destiny.
Fair enough, if you are ready to accept any consequences then I can't fault you. The fact that you have the choice is part of what makes the UK great.
Old 12-09-14, 05:39 PM   #125
MisterTommyH

Someone said that not one Scottish vote has affected UK politics.... We'll thats a LIE!

Without Scottish votes in the UK parliament we would not have had the man who obliterated boom and bust, or his thunderbird puppet.

I have no issue with Scotland voting for independence. I believe they can do it - I believe they will be worse off, but not enough to argue about the fact. Do it, if you're worse off then deal with it, if you're better off then well done.

I want Scotland to stay because I know the uncertainly will be bad for the remainder of the UK, but accept that I have no say in that.

I hope that in the event of anything that does affect the UK I will have my say, but I don't hold out much hope. As an englishman I am among the most unrepresented in my country.

Scotland get's it's own parliament to control (some) of it's own matters, and gets to elect MPs to Westminster to vote on all matters affecting England. As do Wales and NI to a lesser extent. In my opinion any politician with an ounce of morality would recuse themselves from voting on any issue in Westminster that only affected the rest of the Union (i.e. a devolved power).

Finally, the way to get around the inequality is not to have a separate English parliament as well as Westminster, or regional parliaments. We already have more than enough politicians. While I believe the ones we have should be well paid I don't want to pay more and more and more... We have district council, county council, Westminster, MEPs.... christ, it's like when labour tried to get everyone out of unemployment by just making sure more people were employed by the civil service.

Go, and I wish you well, or Don't go, and stop voting on matters that don't affect you. I'll hope you'll stay. I honestly believe that we all are better together (even if you do get unfair representation).

Last edited by MisterTommyH; 12-09-14 at 05:41 PM.
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-14, 05:43 PM   #126
SIII
Mega Poster

I readily accept all consequences. We may be in sackcloth and ashes in 20 years time, but it will be by our own doing and not that of a government elected by a majority neighbouring country.

All of the UK voted against. But then again it was what was wanted by tory / labour. You can see the evidence of the use of mass media by both of the these now and then there was only really libdem oppostion.

I voted YES then, and will be doing so again (If you hadn't already guessed).
Old 12-09-14, 05:46 PM   #127
SIII
Mega Poster

Angry Re: The Org Scottish Referendum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTommyH View Post
Someone said that not one Scottish vote has affected UK politics.... We'll thats a LIE!
Please see graphic I posted earlier, we are only a small percentage of the populace, 8.6 % but that includes all, not just voters.

How would we ever effect an outcome of a general election ???

If you fear a Tory government for the next 100 years - STOP VOTING FOR THEM. It is your responsibility not ours.
Old 12-09-14, 05:49 PM   #128
Spank86

Quote:
How would we ever effect an outcome of a general election ???
well, If Scotland had left the union in 2009 we'd currently have a conservative majority, not a coalition.

Of course if all you see is which party wins you've failed to understand the system anyway, we don't elect governments, the Queen appoints them. We elect members of parliament.
Old 12-09-14, 05:53 PM   #129
SIII
Mega Poster

And you think you would be better off !!!! Still disagree, not from numbers I have seen, but as stated previously - Do we believe numbers ??? Shovel of salt needed with all facts produced during the last month.

That's just nit picking, why don't you go through and check my spellings and grammar whilst your here?
Old 12-09-14, 05:56 PM   #130
Spank86

Quote:
That's just nit picking, why don't you go through and check my spellings and grammar whilst your here?
I Really don't think I have the time.

I also don't believe it's nitpicking at all, it's a very important point and it's why Scotland has representation at a national level.

If you didn't elect MPs but simply elected a government there would be no reason for anyone to care about Scotland, as you elect MPs those MPs have a reason to work for Scottish interests.