SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 19-02-08, 06:36 PM   #131
ASM-Forever

Default Re: New riders out there in/near Thames valley area

Marker system can work, but IMO best way is for everyone to know the route so noone feels pressured to keep up, as they know the rest will be waiting further on.

With 5 people i don't think we'll be strung out much anyway, should be compact.

"Tight like a tiger".

I give up...we'll use a marker system.
Old 19-02-08, 06:46 PM   #132
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM-Forever View Post
Marker system can work, but IMO best way is for everyone to know the route so noone feels pressured to keep up, as they know the rest will be waiting further on.

With 5 people i don't think we'll be strung out much anyway, should be compact.

"Tight like a tiger".

I give up...we'll use a marker system.
Case by case decision. Probably wont need it on Sat. But it worked well on the Brighton ride!

CBR600RR7

Link to map of TV members...if your not on the map then PM me. My facebook profile
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-08, 08:36 PM   #133
Demonz

Just to poke my nose in. I think the mirrors work well if you are working in a tight small group with riders that work at the same speeds and styles. Where it breaks down is with a mix of different speeds on a ride which is typical with new groups.

The main problem with the mirror system it is that you are always looking in your mirrors...

Its a problem coming into junctions for example, where you should be looking for hazards in front of you, instead its looking in the mirror thinking where the hell is he, should I slow down, should I stop, get a move on you slow blah blah blah... ok I'll stop, oh crap I should have stopped here. No matter I'll just squeeze into this spot and hope ill be alright. Or you overrun a junction anyway continue and hope for the best.

The benefit with the marker system is that it takes all of this away. You pick the safest spots to stop on junctions and always the focus more on your own riding rather than others. Its also faster riding if you want it - you can chase down the lead rider from the back, overtake slower riders on the way, and if you dont want to mark - sit 2 behind the lead marker or at the back. If you are a slower rider - no drama you will never get lost as someone will be waiting ahead so no pressure to catch up if you dont want to go fast. Its also simple to pick up if everyone is briefed from the start.... which is a good opportuntiy for newbies to work out who the ride leader/tail ender is anyway. Overall a safer system to work with and the only one that needs to know the route is the ride leader.
Old 19-02-08, 09:21 PM   #134
tonyk
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider View Post
Case by case decision. Probably wont need it on Sat. But it worked well on the Brighton ride!
guys,
sundays brighton ride the mirrors and marker system worked a treat..
from 11 riders we only lost 1............from guildford to brighton i would say thats not too bad.....
but where and why did that person get lost...the person in front should have waited at the turning, because the people infront of him would have been waiting for him....
lets try this weekend, it can olny get better...

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and clear all doubts."
Some days its not even worth chewing through the restraints...
tonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-08, 11:31 PM   #135
ASM-Forever

Tony assuming you are talking about your mate, then he's a plonker for not looking where everyone went. They were visible!
Old 20-02-08, 12:04 AM   #136
Stig

True, sometimes even the best system wont work if the rider is just not paying enough attention. You can only do so much.
Old 20-02-08, 12:05 AM   #137
tonyk
Mega Poster

he said that when turned around and came back to the crossing, the marker had buggered off,
oh well which way now ? flipped a coin.
All i'm saying is that the marker should have stayed a little bit longer, instead of carrying on with ride.
lets try better guys.....

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and clear all doubts."
Old 20-02-08, 12:09 AM   #138
ASM-Forever

As far as i know noone marked that junction!

There was no need to as it was only 20 yards up the road and he must have seen everyone head up it. If not where the hell was he looking? Poor obs doesn't cover it.
Old 20-02-08, 12:11 AM   #139
tonyk
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM-Forever View Post
As far as i know noone marked that junction!

There was no need to as it was only 20 yards up the road and he must have seen everyone head up it. If not where the hell was he looking? Poor obs doesn't cover it.
20 yards up the road ?
then it a no comment......

Old 20-02-08, 12:13 AM   #140
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoGrant View Post
Just to poke my nose in. I think the mirrors work well if you are working in a tight small group with riders that work at the same speeds and styles. Where it breaks down is with a mix of different speeds on a ride which is typical with new groups.

The main problem with the mirror system it is that you are always looking in your mirrors...

Its a problem coming into junctions for example, where you should be looking for hazards in front of you, instead its looking in the mirror thinking where the hell is he, should I slow down, should I stop, get a move on you slow blah blah blah... ok I'll stop, oh crap I should have stopped here. No matter I'll just squeeze into this spot and hope ill be alright. Or you overrun a junction anyway continue and hope for the best.

The benefit with the marker system is that it takes all of this away. You pick the safest spots to stop on junctions and always the focus more on your own riding rather than others. Its also faster riding if you want it - you can chase down the lead rider from the back, overtake slower riders on the way, and if you dont want to mark - sit 2 behind the lead marker or at the back. If you are a slower rider - no drama you will never get lost as someone will be waiting ahead so no pressure to catch up if you dont want to go fast. Its also simple to pick up if everyone is briefed from the start.... which is a good opportuntiy for newbies to work out who the ride leader/tail ender is anyway. Overall a safer system to work with and the only one that needs to know the route is the ride leader.
I agree completely. The system used should depend on who you are riding with and the groups abilities. I also find it distracting trying to find people in my mirrors especially when alot of the newbies sit directly behind you rather than slightly off center so you can see them.

I also know what our lot are like - if you slow for the person behind there is no way anyone in front of you will notice that you are not there until they are long gone. I say this from experience - isnt that how we lost ASM when I took the group to Marlow on the first meet?

CBR600RR7

Link to map of TV members...if your not on the map then PM me. My facebook profile
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote