SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 21-05-08, 04:11 PM   #131
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Default Re: NW Rideouts & accidents

I've already hinted at Mike to let me stay at his the night before again
; )

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-08, 04:15 PM   #132
DoubleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stretchie_ View Post
I've already hinted at Mike to let me stay at his the night before again
; )
you can only stay if you don't turn around in front of his house cos your lost!
Old 21-05-08, 04:22 PM   #133
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Who did that???

I didn't do that!!!

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-08, 05:09 PM   #134
slark01

Thinking on what Speedyclaire has suggested regarding splitting the group in 2 if it's large may not be such a bad idea.
Also bike to bike intercoms can also be useful, but how you would work that i don't know.
Old 21-05-08, 05:44 PM   #135
missyburd

Well that was quite possibly the longest time I have ever spent reading a thread!!! Good read though.

I probably have no room to post in this thread seeing as I've never actually been on a ride out at all let alone a NW one - not through not wanting to mind! - but I'd just like to say that my impressions of the NW have been excellent. The people, the organization, everything. Yes it be very unfortunate about these offs each time, I would think largely due to the unknown roads and personal error. Ok so I can only speak from pillion experience but some of these Welsh roads are crazy and I respect everyone who rides 'em, regardless of what speed they go at. To be bluntly honest I've been surprised not to hear of more than one off per rideout, though I don't like saying that. Again absolutely nothing to do with the actual rideout but when you think how many people must go on these rideouts with not a lot/if any knowledge of the roads in store then the current number of offs is good going.

From what people have said these rideouts are an excellent learning experience and I for one would be very proud to hopefully get round to attending one in the future, whether that be on the back of YC or even on my own

People mustn't get het up about the fact that these issues get brought up, I have learnt a lot just from reading this thread and I'm sure others have too. Baph and Stew did right to draw attention to the matter, I'm sure a lot of people have had a few niggling thoughts that needed to be got out in the open, always the best way!

Phew! Anyway, just my thoughts on the situation. Please don't change ANYTHING about how the NWs are run, they've sounded fab so far!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post

Long may the NW's continue.
+ 1,000
Old 21-05-08, 05:52 PM   #136
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyorkie_chris View Post
some of these Welsh roads are crazy
They're fkin ace.

Hence the problem
Old 21-05-08, 06:04 PM   #137
darylB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Two pages since I posted this and so far no one has identified a risk specific to a NW ride out. From this are we to surmise that there are no extra risks on an NW ride out?
From reading what happened i can only add that from my point of view the extra risks on any rideout , not just NW, are not really an issue. The accidents that happened could have happened to a lone rider anytime. What is apparent is that rider error can happen to any one at any time, i think from the accidents that happened were single vehicle and did not involve anyone else. However well the rideouts are organised and run the onus is entirely on the individuals involved on the runs to look after themselves and ride according to the conditions and roads they are on. If you dont know the roads well back off the accelerator, and do not try to keep up with the rider in front.
The other point to make is to try to get as many peeps as poss to do advanced training, either bike safe, IAM, or Rospa, this applies to newish riders as well as experienced riders, it's never too late to get out of bad habits, we probably all have them without realising it. I did the IAM course and am now an observer and it has changed my riding and safety enormously.

Daryl.
Old 21-05-08, 06:27 PM   #138
Ruffy

Ok I've caught up. Sorry I can't get on at work (and not very often at home!)

I see my earlier post has caused some attention. Firstly, I have picked up that Mike = Luckypants, and you organised the group ride bit. You asked me to expand on risks as, yes, in trying to be brief, I was too waffly.
Simply put, my thinking was along these lines:
Generic risk = person on a bike, you could fall off due to two wheels being unstable, being hit by a car etc.
Examples of specific risk on group ride = separated/lost riders harrased and not concentrating, peer pressure to keep up and going too fast for comfort, target fixation on bike(s) in front leading to improper observation of actual road, unexpected overtake leading to wobble of overtaken rider.

Now, as I said, I haven't been on one so I don't have a complete view. However, from what I have gleaned, your organisation deals with those specific risks I can think of: TEC/marker system takes care of stragglers/lost, group briefing helps to manage self discipline etc.

What I was trying to highlight was that, as there have been accidents, it is OK to ask "Is it perfect?", "Could it be better?", i.e. to question whether all the risks had been identified and dealt with ("as far as reasonable practicable" is generally the official H&S phrase). Surely the ultimate aim must be no accidents and everyone having fun?

Personally, I concur with most of the others and I think it has been managed well and I don't believe there's much else you can do. It's certainly a damn sight better preparation than when I used to go out with the bike club at uni (turn up and blat, follow the leader!) But I'm now a fairly experienced rider. I was concerned that other, less experienced .org members may not share my personal confidence and be put off joining in. I think that would be a shame and would destroy some of the inclusive nature of the org by inadvertently beginning to form cliques etc.

So hats off to Mike for doing a good job of the organisation, and hats off to Baph and everyone else for having a positive debate on how to make things even better. Long may it continue and I do hope I get out to meet you soon (so you can have a go at me in person!)
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-08, 06:43 PM   #139
Xan173

One simple comment from me. No one should ever attend a rideout with the intention of having a "hoon".

IMO a rideout is a social event, if you're an experienced rider and likely to be frustrated by a pace slower than you're used to, just grin and bear it, there's going to be plenty more opportunities to ride at the redline, just not today.
Old 21-05-08, 06:49 PM   #140
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan173 View Post
One simple comment from me. No one should ever attend a rideout with the intention of having a "hoon".

IMO a rideout is a social event, if you're an experienced rider and likely to be frustrated by a pace slower than you're used to, just grin and bear it, there's going to be plenty more opportunities to ride at the redline, just not today.
Exactly, I would have thought the whole point of a rideout is to just enjoy the atmosphere and have a bit of a bimble with others. The quicker ones at the front and the slightly more sedate of others at the back just generally taking it easy. From hearing about NW3, I got the impression this was very much the case, everyone knew their own capabilities and were riding accordingly.

A rideout isn't exactly the best thing if you just want a race, that can be done in your own time on your own terms surely!