SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 21-05-08, 06:49 PM   #141
neio79

Default Re: NW Rideouts & accidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan173 View Post
One simple comment from me. No one should ever attend a rideout with the intention of having a "hoon".

You did not see me, Drew, Hovis and Gid ride home then
Old 21-05-08, 06:57 PM   #142
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by neio79 View Post
You did not see me, Drew, Hovis and Gid ride home then
Tis true......was great fun......but.......we all rode safely and to our limits.

I was leading and knew the roads.......so could ride at a better pace than on the NW roads.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-08, 07:29 PM   #143
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
Ok I've caught up. Sorry I can't get on at work (and not very often at home!)

I see my earlier post has caused some attention. Firstly, I have picked up that Mike = Luckypants, and you organised the group ride bit. You asked me to expand on risks as, yes, in trying to be brief, I was too waffly.
Simply put, my thinking was along these lines:
Generic risk = person on a bike, you could fall off due to two wheels being unstable, being hit by a car etc.
Examples of specific risk on group ride = separated/lost riders harrased and not concentrating, peer pressure to keep up and going too fast for comfort, target fixation on bike(s) in front leading to improper observation of actual road, unexpected overtake leading to wobble of overtaken rider.

Now, as I said, I haven't been on one so I don't have a complete view. However, from what I have gleaned, your organisation deals with those specific risks I can think of: TEC/marker system takes care of stragglers/lost, group briefing helps to manage self discipline etc.

What I was trying to highlight was that, as there have been accidents, it is OK to ask "Is it perfect?", "Could it be better?", i.e. to question whether all the risks had been identified and dealt with ("as far as reasonable practicable" is generally the official H&S phrase). Surely the ultimate aim must be no accidents and everyone having fun?

Personally, I concur with most of the others and I think it has been managed well and I don't believe there's much else you can do. It's certainly a damn sight better preparation than when I used to go out with the bike club at uni (turn up and blat, follow the leader!) But I'm now a fairly experienced rider. I was concerned that other, less experienced .org members may not share my personal confidence and be put off joining in. I think that would be a shame and would destroy some of the inclusive nature of the org by inadvertently beginning to form cliques etc.

So hats off to Mike for doing a good job of the organisation, and hats off to Baph and everyone else for having a positive debate on how to make things even better. Long may it continue and I do hope I get out to meet you soon (so you can have a go at me in person!)
Thanks Ruffy,

It's good to note that we have not missed the obvious. I totally agree that the aim should be zero accidents and maximum fun. For most of us, I am confident fun does not equal fast as possible (although making progress is rewarding).

I hope this discussion has highlighted there is not a lot more we can do to prevent the accidents - although some of Fizzwheel's suggestions will improve our procedures (to use H&S parlance again). If this seems complacent, then someone will pull me up I'm sure.

Now get yersen a proper VFR (I have a VTEC if you had not worked it out)
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-08, 07:54 PM   #144
slark01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Thanks Ruffy,

It's good to note that we have not missed the obvious. I totally agree that the aim should be zero accidents and maximum fun. For most of us, I am confident fun does not equal fast as possible (although making progress is rewarding).

I hope this discussion has highlighted there is not a lot more we can do to prevent the accidents - although some of Fizzwheel's suggestions will improve our procedures (to use H&S parlance again). If this seems complacent, then someone will pull me up I'm sure.

Now get yersen a proper VFR (I have a VTEC if you had not worked it out)
+1 mike, apart from the VFR bit
come on UTD lol
Old 21-05-08, 08:26 PM   #145
Ruffy

Quote:
Thanks Ruffy,

I hesitated a lot before putting up my original post as I could see lots of good things and didn't want to come across as negative or critical, especially as I wasn't even there. What ultimately triggered my comments was that, on reading the whole thread, I was most concerned that others may have been too complacent in responding to Baph's OP.

I am relieved I wasn't totally flamed and think that says a lot about the maturity of the org members. Good on ya!

Quote:
Now get yersen a proper VFR ...
I already have!!!! Just needs tidying up (results of my last off!!!) and a lot more miles putting on it.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-08, 08:50 PM   #146
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants
Now get yersen a proper VFR ...

I already have!!!! Just needs tidying up (results of my last off!!!) and a lot more miles putting on it.
You not been on one of those bloody North Wales rideouts have you??? I've heard they're terrible

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-08, 08:53 PM   #147
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stretchie_ View Post
You not been on one of those bloody North Wales rideouts have you??? I've heard they're terrible

- was tempted. you are a BAD MAN mister stretch.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-08, 08:55 PM   #148
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stretchie_
It's good to push yourself, but best to do it on your own roads with your own people

In the words of my instructor:

If you want to push the envelope, the safest way is one variable at a time. Unknown bike, unknown roads, unknown company, all at the same time is just asking for trouble.
So you're agreeing with me then???

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-08, 09:40 PM   #149
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

I am new to the forum and while don't take my test till the week after next have spent many a thousand miles on the back of some very fast bikes.
I CANNOT wait to come to the next NW ride out (if Stretchie lets me) as I have heard nothing but good things about the ride and the organisation.

All topics that have a genuine reason for being are good in my view, yes things can be taken the wrong way, guilty of that myself, but all in all, this has been the most interesting read!

Dans off was, I believe just one of those things, as are alot of bike accidents not involving a third party. He'd be the first to admit if it was his fault (see his posts), as would most riders. All I can say is that it has done nothing to dampen his spirits (as you all know) or quash his desire to get back on!

The whole group thing.....if it's split skills or speed wise, bad idea. I say that for two reasons....1/ Ego may get in the way and cause people to push themselves to keep up or get frustrated in a slower group. 2/ When I am on the Cat soon, I will be a new rider and I expect to learn most of my skills by watching better riders and the lines they take, when they brake etc...
However, If it is a whole party just randomly split in two...great. That would mean more riders get to enjoy the NW ride outs, but no extra attention would be brought to the police!

As for accident rates, I've had many close misses as a pillion and I know full well that one of these days I am gonna come a cropper.....just hope when I do I am as lucky as Dan....jammy bu**er!

If nothing else.....Hi to anyone I haven't met yet....see you at the AR and thanks all for an interesting read!
Old 21-05-08, 11:04 PM   #150
xXBADGERXx

As far as Saturday went , I would like to add this . I`ve been riding 17 years , most of it on roads like we ran on in NW3.5 and in far worse weather . Even I had my concerns over other riders in Welsh conditions and was glad to see some of them dropped back a bit . As has been said in the briefings "It`s not a race , enjoy the scenery" and that is some damn good advice . I felt we could all have been a lot faster in dryer conditions (and me with a bike that didnt hammer me so much LOL) and people showed some restraint .

Stretchie`s off was unfortunate with that big a$$ sliver of Tarmac Overbanding on a corner , even a local biker that stopped said the corner was famous for eating bikes .

Some advice I dispensed on NW3.5 .... Sheep (no laughing at the back there , this could save Lives) . They cannot reverse so if one is in or near the road , then slow down and aim for the rear . They will simply stay put or wander off in their general direction . Loud pipes have sent them scattering as we saw on NW3.5 , and this can cause serious issues for those that are behind .

Last edited by xXBADGERXx; 22-05-08 at 06:21 AM.