SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 22-05-08, 06:19 AM   #151
Speedy Claire

Default Re: NW Rideouts & accidents

I didn`t realise sheep couldn`t reverse!!! see i`ve learnt something today already.

Some advice I was also given on my bikesafe course is to never beep your horn in that situation (that includes stray dogs in the road too) beeping your horn makes them panic and also sends them scattering and they`re more likely to run back at you.
Old 22-05-08, 06:22 AM   #152
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
i would agree with that......... 12 pages and nobody has come up with an answer, so maybe there is no answer, as there nothing actuly wrong.
I accept that completely, I didn't know if there was an answer, which is why I started the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slark01 View Post
Also bike to bike intercoms can also be useful, but how you would work that i don't know.
I have a pair of PMR radios & throat mics. Good for at least 25miles in the hills/valleys of NW. I've mentionned them a few times on the .Org before. I'm also able to get mountain rescue on them for the times when my mobile phone doesn't have signal.

Mind, a pair of radios doesn't really help much in a group of 30+.

Stretchie, as for the pun about my signature, it's there for a reason mate. (I didn't see that post until this morning )

Last edited by Baph; 22-05-08 at 06:27 AM.
Old 22-05-08, 06:27 AM   #153
Speedy Claire

Could be used by ride leader and TEC tho
Old 22-05-08, 07:21 AM   #154
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Claire View Post
Could be used by ride leader and TEC tho
But I don't want to hear Mike singing.

I'll mention the radios whenever the next rideout thread's pop up, if the leader/TEC at the time (whoever they may be) want them, they get priority, otherwise anyone can borrow them to have a natter.

TBH, I mainly use them for bike-car chat whenever me & the other half are going somewhere & I don't want to be a caged animal.
Old 22-05-08, 09:59 AM   #155
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Claire View Post

Some advice I was also given on my bikesafe course is to never beep your horn in that situation (that includes stray dogs in the road too) beeping your horn makes them panic and also sends them scattering and they`re more likely to run back at you.
+1
I had horses all through my life until a few years back and I can wholeheartedly say that beeping at any animal is a surefire way to CAUSE a nasty situation.
To give an example....many people living on or commuting through country roads/lanes use their horns to "warn" people that they are about to come around a corner. I have had this happen many times, resulting once in my horse putting her hoof into the nearside headlight. People beep to warn......but don't slow down as they think they've done enough. Unless you are on a bombproof horse, what you risk doing is scaring the living wits out of the horse, coming round a corner without slowing down and being confronted by a horse in the middle of the road in a panic. If you leave the horn alone and just slow down, the horse will be fine, you can pass and be on your merry way.
Old 22-05-08, 10:00 AM   #156
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Why is the horserider not guilty of driving without due care in that case?
Old 22-05-08, 10:06 AM   #157
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntygiggles View Post
+1
I had horses all through my life until a few years back and I can wholeheartedly say that beeping at any animal is a surefire way to CAUSE a nasty situation.
To give an example....many people living on or commuting through country roads/lanes use their horns to "warn" people that they are about to come around a corner. I have had this happen many times, resulting once in my horse putting her hoof into the nearside headlight. People beep to warn......but don't slow down as they think they've done enough. Unless you are on a bombproof horse, what you risk doing is scaring the living wits out of the horse, coming round a corner without slowing down and being confronted by a horse in the middle of the road in a panic. If you leave the horn alone and just slow down, the horse will be fine, you can pass and be on your merry way.
Highway code and driving instructors advise sounding your horn on narrow roads with a blind bend to warn other road users of your approach. You should still slow down to be able to stop in the distance you can see. If there is a horse 50m away round the bend and it still bolts, then IMO the animal should not be on the road as it is not safe in traffic. Beeping the horn right next to the animal will of course make it bolt and the driver is an idiot if they do this. There has to be give and take from all road users. If your horse cannot cope with vehicles 'appearing' round bends or at speed (on NSL) then don't take it on those roads.

Not really on the topic of NW ride outs, but a valid safety discussion.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-08, 10:11 AM   #158
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Why is the horserider not guilty of driving without due care in that case?
Haha......actually my mare was as good as gold, the day she reared, a guy in a beamer beeped and came round a tight bend on a single track country lane at a STUPID speed. Teasle (my mare) was fine as she always was, I started trotting to the next passing place, but he kept beeping (also on his mobile) and not paying attention got too close and clipped Teasles hind hoof. That made her panic and the reason I got her was she used to be a really bad rearer. I managed to get her to the passing place, but she was in a compete panic, so I waved at the driver to just wait for her to calm down (no point shouting, it would have made her worse). He didn't wait, beeped again, gave me the finger and put his foot down to go past as Teasle was mid rear. She came down and her hoof went in his headlight. He slammed the brakes on, Teasle had two weeks rest and 19 stitches, I had a case of the red mist, took the drivcers mobile off him as mine had flown down the road. Told the person on the phone what he'd done (turned out it was his wife), hung up and called the police and vet.

Result....at least one idiot learned his lesson, but just goes to show.......when you are driving a car, you can control it. It does what you tell it to. Horses, dogs, sheep, foxes etc......mind of their own!!!
Old 22-05-08, 10:14 AM   #159
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Highway code and driving instructors advise sounding your horn on narrow roads with a blind bend to warn other road users of your approach. You should still slow down to be able to stop in the distance you can see. If there is a horse 50m away round the bend and it still bolts, then IMO the animal should not be on the road as it is not safe in traffic. Beeping the horn right next to the animal will of course make it bolt and the driver is an idiot if they do this. There has to be give and take from all road users. If your horse cannot cope with vehicles 'appearing' round bends or at speed (on NSL) then don't take it on those roads.

Not really on the topic of NW ride outs, but a valid safety discussion.
Hi luckypants....I agree, shoud have made it clearer, horns are useful to warn IF you also slow down. Most horses are fine in traffic and anyone that takes a green horse out is asking for trouble. My mare was 100% in traffic, still is, but when hit by a car, any animal is going to panic.
Sorry not in line with the thread, but yes, valid safety point. Will leave it there!
Old 22-05-08, 10:16 AM   #160
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntygiggles View Post
a guy in a beamer
'Nuf said.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote