SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Stuff Wanted Looking for SV bits, nothing in For Sale? Place a plea here.

Old 06-01-09, 12:08 PM   #11
xXBADGERXx

Default Re: Almax Chain & Squire Padlock

Let`s face facts , they are a chain for life in reality , but only as good as the person who locks their bike up with it . I must admit that I have to remind myself to go out in the rain and snow to lock my bike up when it would be far easier to do it when I get home .
Old 14-01-09, 05:29 PM   #12
sauluk

Chain arrived today, weighs a ton but am slightly underwhelmed, the links are really long, looks pretty easy to get a set of croppers on them, wouldn't short links have been better or am I wrong?
Was: Blue SK5
Was: KMX125.. stolen..
sauluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-09, 07:20 PM   #13
xXBADGERXx

The way the Links are case hardened with the Almax chain is the key to it`s survival . The shorter length links in other chains and their over hardening are their downfall . What Almax have shown in various videos over the years is that the Links are shattering when Bolt Croppers go through them . So the shock of one side being cleaved in half is transferring to the other side (some beardy type will explain this better) and it shatters the other side of the link . Almax have longer links and a softer state of Hardening if you like , so the Bolt Croppers just chew into the chain damaging the Chain and their Jaws , BUT , the chain stays in one piece <------- this is the bit that keeps bikes where they should be and everybody Happy . Do a Youtube search and see the Video where that guy is sweating away for 9 minutes with 5ft croppers , thats roughly 8 minutes more than the toughest rival could compete with , the guy gave up as the jaws splayed on the croppers rendering them all but useless (well they would make a nice set of branch loppers for a Tree Surgeon) . Hope this explains a bit and worry not . You have a chain for life there , hope you got a good lock to go with it

I bought an Oxford Monster Lock years ago and thought it was the Dog`s Dangly bits , it didn`t last very long with that guy from the videos and I was horrified , managed to sell it on to somebody I didn`t particuarly like anyway for a nice sum . Almax was my chain of choice and apparently one of the local lads spotted some wrong `un looking at it on my bike one day and said they just tutted and walked off .

Last edited by xXBADGERXx; 14-01-09 at 07:25 PM.
Old 14-01-09, 10:48 PM   #14
sauluk

Got the Squire upgraded padlock over the CISA one with it in the combo from their site, supposed to be one of the toughest padlocks too isn't it? I've seen the videos on youtube and it is reassuring just need to find a good method of looping it through the bike to prevent them just taking off the back wheel
Old 15-01-09, 07:55 PM   #15
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Are Luma or Squire locks better?

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-09, 08:31 PM   #16
sauluk

All I know is the Squire stronghold is a CEN grade 6 or something which is the best you can get
Old 16-01-09, 06:10 PM   #17
Thingus

I know this sounds stupid but if you can get ahold of a decent chain you can pick up a decent squire padlock from screwfix for 35 quid.
Old 16-01-09, 09:00 PM   #18
xXBADGERXx

One that can survive being bolt cropped open ?
Old 16-01-09, 10:41 PM   #19
sauluk

Saw one on screwfix, it's a closed shackle CEN grade 4, for £20 more I'd rather get the Almax package with the CEN grade 6 padlock. And have!
Old 16-01-09, 10:44 PM   #20
arcdef

almax chains wont fit in my anchor so i cant have one