SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-07-14, 11:43 AM   #11
Specialone

Default Re: Variable Motorway Speed Limits

Probably should add they certainly do work, especially when it's rush hour, it flows more and there is less braking which has that domino effect.

It's the over use of them I dislike.
Old 30-07-14, 12:50 PM   #12
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

The M62 has not benefitted from this stupid idea whatsoever. Especially around Leeds. Sometimes it feels like the traffic is permanently flowing at 20mph, naturally without the aid of the system in place.

Mind you, it has had a 50mph limit since around 2007 around Leeds and beyond.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-14, 12:54 PM   #13
MisterTommyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
Obviously it doesn't work but I'm not sure whether that's because everyone ignores it or simply because it doesn't work.
Actually it does.

The M42 is massively improved by the use of these during rush hour, as is the M6 from Walsall to Birmingham.

Yes it can get annoying when they are used on a weekend when there isn't a rush, but overall I'm in favour.
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-14, 12:57 PM   #14
SvNewbie

I've heard the argument that they work so long as the operators leave the automated system to do its job. Apparently the problem is they have a hard time doing that.

No idea how true that is though. From what I've seen the locals know exactly which gantries have camera attached and race between them.
Old 30-07-14, 02:41 PM   #15
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTommyH View Post
Actually it does.

The M42 is massively improved by the use of these during rush hour, as is the M6 from Walsall to Birmingham.

Yes it can get annoying when they are used on a weekend when there isn't a rush, but overall I'm in favour.
I don't go on many roads that have them but whenever I have been on one I've either seen people completely ignoring the signs or been sat in a queue where 50mph is a pipe dream.
Old 30-07-14, 05:06 PM   #16
scotty217

Default Variable Motorway Speed Limits

I ride between j12 and 7 ( and return) for work on the m6. It seems to me that the problems with the gantries are two fold - first is drivers ignore them or have learnt where the cameras are- second is the operators don't leave it on auto and always seem to interfere. However the major flaw in this stretch is the fact that junctions 10 9 8 & 7 are all within about 5 miles and flood massive amounts of traffic onto the road. In fact 10 9 and 8 (for the m5) are within about a mile! They're having a laugh if they think that can be controlled. It's better but it's still shyt
Old 31-07-14, 05:43 PM   #17
L3nny
Mega Poster

If people knew how to drive on a motorway and not hog the middle lane 2 inches from the car in front and lorries were restriced to the slow lane these variable limits wouldn't be necessary.
Old 31-07-14, 09:17 PM   #18
Mrs DJ Fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
If people knew how to drive on a motorway and not hog the middle lane 2 inches from the car in front and lorries were restriced to the slow lane these variable limits wouldn't be necessary.
If lorries were only restricted to lane one this would lead to even slower traffic as they would all get stuck behind the Tesco lorries that can only do 50mph, Tesco claim that this is for the environment, it is not, it is just to reduce fuel costs. I often overtake cars im my lorry usually the cars are being driven by totally unaware older people, but you cannot ban them from the roads apparently.
Old 31-07-14, 09:41 PM   #19
Grant66

It'd only be slow in lane 1 though.
Other countries restrict slow vehicles to lane 1 during busy times and some ban lorries completely on Sundays.
What I still find amazing is that there is no compulsory training for driving on the motorway. If only people were taught how to drive on the motorway properly.
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-14, 08:33 AM   #20
L3nny
Mega Poster

Default Re: Re: Variable Motorway Speed Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs DJ Fridge View Post
If lorries were only restricted to lane one this would lead to even slower traffic as they would all get stuck behind the Tesco lorries that can only do 50mph, Tesco claim that this is for the environment, it is not, it is just to reduce fuel costs. I often overtake cars im my lorry usually the cars are being driven by totally unaware older people, but you cannot ban them from the roads apparently.
How fast does your lorry go then 53? 55? Does it really make that much difference and warrant the 5 minute overtake which takes up 2 thirds of the motorway for 4 miles.
I should add this would only be needed during busy times.

All of the Tesco trailers I see round here are towed by Stobart cabs anyway