SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-07-06, 12:53 PM   #11
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo
So a HUGE waste of everyone's time and money for something that isn't actually a huge problem IMHO
I second that.

Yes cyclists do jump red lights, but the MAJORITY of the time it really is not dangerous. I would much rather a cyclist jumped the lights and got away rather than wobbling about next to us as we pull away.....

Number plates and red tape will only serve to reduce the number of cyclists on the road - which is a bad thing for the environment and congestion....
Old 28-07-06, 01:25 PM   #12
Abyss

I dont like the idea of this.
Old 28-07-06, 01:52 PM   #13
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Good idea in principle.

And as with all ideas that are good in principle.... its total tosh in reality.
Unenforcable and could you image how many bikes that do have plates would have them nicked and used on other bikes?

I said this before and i'll keep saying it until someone in power listens (they read this site dont they?) WHY KEEP PASSING NEW UNENFORCABLE LAWS??? START ENFORCING THE LAWS YOU HAVE LIKE THE ONE FOR HANDHELD MOBILES. something thats actualy dangerous to lots of people all over the country.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-06, 02:01 PM   #14
timwilky
Mega Poster

wouldn't it me easier to fit all cycles with RFID and put readers on the lights and pavement points where there is a problem. Couple of pence for the RFID, non intrusive and easy to return your bike if nicked.

I hate pushbikers when they ride 10 abreast and obstruct the highway by failing to maintain the national speed limit on country roads. I need Ben Hur chariot wheel accessesories when I try to pass these road hogs.
Old 28-07-06, 02:04 PM   #15
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
Yes cyclists do jump red lights, but the MAJORITY of the time it really is not dangerous.
Well if that's so, then how come we can't do it, particularly as we'd be across them a damned sight faster?

Quote:
I would much rather a cyclist jumped the lights and got away rather than wobbling about next to us as we pull away...
So on a red light they pull away just fine, but on a green one they wobble?

Quote:
Number plates and red tape will only serve to reduce the number of cyclists on the road - which is a bad thing.
No it's a good thing, the lot of them should be shipped off to Holland or somewhere.

They're mainly LibDem supporters any way.

Old 28-07-06, 02:36 PM   #16
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Quote:
Yes cyclists do jump red lights, but the MAJORITY of the time it really is not dangerous.
Well if that's so, then how come we can't do it, particularly as we'd be across them a damned sight faster?
Because you have to draw the line somewhere.....

2 wrongs dont make a right......

Cyclists get away with it, we dont

Quote:
Quote:
Number plates and red tape will only serve to reduce the number of cyclists on the road - which is a bad thing.
No it's a good thing, the lot of them should be shipped off to Holland or somewhere.

It is our planet to share, so belittling people who are not wrecking the planet as much as others is pathetic.
Old 28-07-06, 02:47 PM   #17
jonboy

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Because you have to draw the line somewhere.....

2 wrongs dont make a right......
You do realize that doesn't make a lot of sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Quote:
Quote:

It is our planet to share, so belittling people who are not wrecking the planet as much as others is pathetic.
One, it was humour (you know, laughing and all that ), and two, if you're really worried about wrecking the planet (and it's most likely too late now anyway), then I take it that you'll not be using air travel any more?

Old 28-07-06, 03:01 PM   #18
andy

Hey Jonboy, I am not flaming.

It does make sense to me - I dont think I got it our right. How can you use the argument that just because we are not allowed to jump red lights that it is OK to make stupid laws to stop cyclists doing it - it is illegal for them to do it, but making them have plates is just stupid - we should be encouraging cycling not stopping it, and if one downside of that is more cyclists jumping red lights then I am prepared to live with it - they aint gonna kill anyone (maybe themselves).

So because it is maybe too late to not wreck the planet, that does not mean that we should not try. I understand it was humour (I have been on forums a long long time) but I am sick of people ridiculing (sp?) people who are trying to do some good - and your comments are just the same old rubbish.....

And for your info, I dont fly very often (no I am not a saint, just better than most), and my carbon footprint (to use a loony greeny term) is way below most as well. No I am not perfect, and yes I am contributing to the wrecking of the planet, but at least I am making an effort and not taking the p!ss out of people who are making an effort.

Until humans (particularily British and Americans to name a few) get over this "take the p!ss out of greenies" and "no one else bothers so why should I" and "it is too late anyway" attitude, the planet is doomed (maybe it is anyway, but why not try - your kids will thank you for making an effort)

Rant over, I am going back to my hole......
Old 28-07-06, 03:12 PM   #19
Abyss

Quote:
they aint gonna kill anyone (maybe themselves).
I dont know, should you accelerate across a cross roads and a cyclist decided he wanted to jump his red light... You could hit him and come off (killing both or maybe just you?!) or you could try to dodge and come off... killing you.
Old 28-07-06, 03:19 PM   #20
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss
Quote:
they aint gonna kill anyone (maybe themselves).
I dont know, should you accelerate across a cross roads and a cyclist decided he wanted to jump his red light... You could hit him and come off (killing both or maybe just you?!) or you could try to dodge and come off... killing you.
Agreed, what I should of said is that a cylist jumping a red light is a million times less dangerous than a car doing it, and quite a bit less dangerous than a motorbike doing it.

Also cyclists have far more to gain in terms of safety by jumping a red light than a motorbike or car does. When on my motorbike I would only jump a red light if it was stuck on red (eg motorbike wont trip the sensors), on my bicycle I jump them because the junction is so dangerous for cyclists it is the safest way to get across......