SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-06-08, 04:42 PM   #11
Girth
Mega Poster

Default Re: Just joined, thought i would say hi

Tho'reet!
Old 10-06-08, 05:30 PM   #12
Gene genie

reeto pimp cat. you'll not go far wrong with an sv. people say they are an easy bike to ride but i actually have ridden much more learner freindly bikes but i wouldnt change mine for anything else.
having just passed your test the last thing you wanna be doing is playing catchup with your brother, biuld your experience and confidence at your pace.
hope you pass 1st time and enjoy, its not all about speed. did i just say that, of course its all about speed thats why we have 650's, but just do it one step at a time.

Last edited by Gene genie; 10-06-08 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-06-08, 05:45 PM   #13
Rich
Mega Poster

SV all the way for first bike, i loved mine and was a great stepping stone onto bigger a better things. You'll love the SV as much as everyone whos owned one on here. And with a few suspension mods as said it'll handle fantasticly and keep up with any bike on the twisties (almost). As for the TT600, my dads friend had one for 6 months and had to call out the AA 3 times for breakdowns. It wasn't a happy time for him, he said it was good when it was going though.
Old 11-06-08, 11:02 AM   #14
Pimp Cat

like i said, i won't be going crazy or trying to keep up with my bro right from the start, i'll be taking things at my own pace and at a rate that i am happy with. the only reason i asked if it would be able to keep up is cos if i am gonna be keeping the bike for a couple of years, when i am happy about riding and have confidence and more experiance i don't really wanna go through the hassel of finding another bike that i won't get left behind all the time on!.

although from most peoples replys i think that either bike will be fine up untill stupid, loss of licence type speeds on the straights!!

Thanks.

Colin.
Old 11-06-08, 11:05 AM   #15
plowsie

The SV will be fine to keep up and sounds a lot better

Welcome to the madhouse!

EDIT: +1 on the forgiveness of the SV too!

Last edited by plowsie; 11-06-08 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-06-08, 12:55 PM   #16
Rhiwbina_Squirrel

Welcome I'd go for the SV. I passed my test a couple of weeks ago, I've now got the SV and it's a great bike. Something that I did consider before making my final choice was looking at how much replacement parts were: clutch lever, brake levers, mirrors, gearstick etc. etc. Might be worth having a look. Also, you might want to get yourself some crash bungs. Motosliders or R&Gs seem to be the most popular.

Alex
Old 11-06-08, 09:15 PM   #17
Filipe M.

Boa noite. SV.
Old 11-06-08, 09:32 PM   #18
simonthepost

Hello there,

welcome to the club and good luck with your DAS

Got my SV as a first 'big' bike she's crackin and riden properly it will keep up with my mates on there IL4's till you get on a straight but as previously stated, don't ride beyond your limits FFS.
try as many bikes as you can for comfort and ride height and then you'll know
Old 11-06-08, 10:09 PM   #19
Tim in Belgium

Welcome from up north, as for the SV keeping up, up here in Yorkshire I have no issues keeping up with mt mates on R1s GSXRs, Ducatis, Milles etc until well into triple figures (on private race tracks of course ) .

The SV is a great bike that lets you do everything you want, whilst you decide exactly what you want out of a bike. Personally I thought I wanted a big GS type of bike to tour on, but got an SV as it was capable and cheap! I've toured it, track dayed it and done the odd spot of commuting, it can do all of these pretty well. Now after almost three years I'm looking for a full on sports bike, but the SV has done me proud.