SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-10-10, 09:30 AM   #11
custard

Default Re: One day, five test rides.

tuono?
Old 08-10-10, 10:32 AM   #12
rob13

As much as I love Duke's, I dont think I'll get one. To be honest, shelling out £7k on a new bike (Street R) is a lot of cash, possibly too much for a toy.

I know people will mention KTM reliability but Ducati's just scare me. Tuono is a great looking bike and something I might try, but the independant servicing garages around here want a fortune when it comes to hourly rates on Aprilias.
Old 08-10-10, 10:40 AM   #13
G
Mega Poster

Pah not having something that you love just because of historical rumors is crazy. Moderns Dukes are supposed to have fantastic reliability... considerably better than the brand you are considering recently.
Old 08-10-10, 11:01 AM   #14
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Yeah!! Can I ask why you are considering a Triumph (in light of your reluctance of considering a Ducati for the same reason) when there have been a few threads on their reliability issues on an SV650 forum? Wonder what a Triumph forum is like?
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 11:05 AM   #15
rob13

Do you 2 own Duke's by any chance? Hypermotard is a bit too much of a one trick pony for me. Beautiful bike, great for hooning about on but anything other than that has to be a chore.

If I wanted a complete 2 hr toy, I would buy a 690SM which is utterly useless for anything but scratching.
Old 08-10-10, 11:24 AM   #16
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robchester View Post
Do you 2 own Duke's by any chance? Hypermotard is a bit too much of a one trick pony for me. Beautiful bike, great for hooning about on but anything other than that has to be a chore.

If I wanted a complete 2 hr toy, I would buy a 690SM which is utterly useless for anything but scratching.
No I just own the Hyper, traded in my 749.
Hyper is not the most practical I guess but apart form Touring it's no less practical than most.
Before I bought one I would've agreed with you and say it was a one trick pony but after riding one apart from the tank range (which can be solved) I can't see why it would be less practical than any other naked bike.

The KTM supermoto's I agree are a 2hr toy but I think a better comparison to the Hypermotard would be the KTM Superduke rather than the Supermoto.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 12:16 PM   #17
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Ducati's just scare me.
I thought the same until Liz bought her 749S, you should talk to some owners on Ducatsti rather than believing all the guff written on the internet by people who've never owned one.

OK older models yes, eletrics and reliability problems. Newer bike last on the 998, 749, 999 much better reputation. You have to remember that Ducati do their development in public, so never buy the first generation of any new Ducati it will have problems.

749 the service interval is longer than it is on my GSXR, the labour rate in the Ducati Main Dealer we take it to is less per hour than the local Suzuki dealer I bought my GSXR from.

Ownership needs approaching with an open mind thats all...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 12:35 PM   #18
custard

deffo give the tuono a blat.

i swopped my sv1000 for one about 3 weeks ago and my eyes have been opened! hear what you are saying bout servicing though, and anything italian definately has "character".
Old 08-10-10, 01:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by custard View Post
deffo give the tuono a blat.

i swopped my sv1000 for one about 3 weeks ago and my eyes have been opened! hear what you are saying bout servicing though, and anything italian definately has "character".
think they were my exact words in a PM to him, except the SV1000 part.
Old 08-10-10, 01:47 PM   #20
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Do you 2 own Duke's by any chance? .
In the interest of clarity, a Duke is made by KTM

A Duc could be short for Ducati
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote