SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-07-10, 06:49 AM   #11
Berlin

Default Re: Clonking/knocking SV650S-Y. F/Sprocket? Rear Wheel?

There are three bearings in the rear wheel assembly. One is in the Sprocket carrier and two are in the wheel itself. As soon as the wheel is out they'll be visible. Stick your finger into them and rotate them and if they feel a little "Crunchy" or Notchy then they're on the way out. If they are very crunchy and notchy and there is side to side play in them, they're dead.

Bearings can go because water has ingressed passed the seal and rusted the balls or runing surfaces and some just break down the case hardening on the balls due to use. Once the hard surface is off them, its all over. (thats the notchiness. The ball bearings are no longer round and hard).

I heard a collapsed rear wheel bearing on an R1 at Mallory from 30 meters away as he came in from the pits and its not a nice sound! I've also seen a rear wheel bearing go on an SRAD 600 that welded the wheel spacer to the bearing and junked the rear sprocket carrier.

Keep you fingers crossed that this is what it is because if its not the next option (final drive shaft bearings) is a whole lot more expensive.

If its the final drive bearings you have to split the engine to get at them. I'm not sure how many there are in the Sv engine and I don't have a manual at hand. Its usually the outer one by the sprocked that goes as this is the one that is exposed to the elements and has the highest twisting moment on it.
You may be able to check if its this bearing by wiggling and turning the front sprocket or the shaft with the front sprocket off. If there's any play, noise or notchiness then its a stripdown to replace I'm afraid.

And if it is the bearings, don't buy "Suzuki" ones. Go to your local bearing factors and buy them by the number on them. It'll save you a small fortune. Bike wheel bearings are commonly used in all sorts of things including generators and electric motors.

As an aside, how tight/slack is your chain? Is there any hooking on the sprocket teeth?
C

Last edited by Berlin; 22-07-10 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-09-10, 03:44 PM   #12
ryanh1418

Hats off to you lot, you were all right... I conceded defeat and had this looked at professionally and tied it in with the MoT. It was the rear wheel bearing AND the spacers. I'm ashamed and embarassed because one of them was missing and I dread to think how long it's been missing for (still haven't found it despite clearing out the garage). Thankfully I've barely covered any miles this year. But anyway, all good now and the bike's like new after a couple of other tweaks and was rewarded with a nice weekend camping trip around the Norfolk Broads. Just wanted to tip my hat to ya!
Old 06-09-10, 08:23 AM   #13
warrenhewitt10

glad its sorted! Reading this thread is making me want to go check my rear wheel bearings as i have a slight clunk coming from down there also when i take up slack on the chain when accelerating. should check it before it worsens i suppose