SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-04-07, 03:25 PM   #11
Jabba

Default Re: A question for the medical staff...

The less people in there the better for reasons of distracting the staff, parents getting distraught/overcome with emotion and for reducing risk of infection.

My mate is a paediatric anaesthetist (wow - two dipthongs in this sentence already), one of only five in the whole of Wales, and they need to concentrate mighty hard with the kiddy-winkies on that score so probably best you don't even ask coz a refusal might offend
Old 03-04-07, 03:47 PM   #12
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
The less people in there the better for reasons of distracting the staff, parents getting distraught/overcome with emotion and for reducing risk of infection.

My mate is a paediatric anaesthetist (wow - two dipthongs in this sentence already), one of only five in the whole of Wales, and they need to concentrate mighty hard with the kiddy-winkies on that score so probably best you don't even ask coz a refusal might offend
I disagree pretty much entirely with that post. Apologies

IF I do go in to the theatre, I'll be stood in a corner somewhere out of the way. As anyone else who is a parent will understand, for a routine operation, there's no way (even after hell freezes over) that I'd want to get anywhere close for the risks mentionned in this thread already (infection & concentration).

Also, if I'm refused, wouldn't be an issue. I certainly wouldn't get offended. As it seems it's at the operating staff's discresion, their word is final.

I still intend to ask due to the reason I said before

Oh yea, and Jabba, even though I disagree entirely with what you said, I'm still not offended

The operation is the best shot we've got at fixing his issues, no way will that be jepordised in any way by us
Old 03-04-07, 05:05 PM   #13
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
I disagree pretty much entirely with that post. Apologies
That is your right

Quote:
IF I do go in to the theatre, I'll be stood in a corner somewhere out of the way.
I don't understand why you want to go in at all if you plan not to get close enough to look or ask questions? Not having a go at you, but there are many good reasons why it is not usual practice to allow non-essential staff into a theatre, never mind non-medical staff.

Does the op theatre have a viewing platform?

Last edited by Jabba; 03-04-07 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-04-07, 07:59 PM   #14
anna
Mega Poster

are these operations not recorded.. or able to be seen on a video outside theater?? My brother-in-law recently had an op and was able to view his operation on video after.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 08:24 PM   #15
speedygirl

Quote:
The long & the short of it, last time he had an operation, we were pretty convinced that something went pair shaped in the operating theatre. We wanted to go in with him last time, but we didn't really do anything about it.

So my question, where do we stand with a toddler having an operation? Are we entitled (on the NHS btw) to demand that at least one parent accompanies him in the operating theatre, so long as we don't interfere with the jobs that folks are doing? Or is it more a case of "if the hospital say no, then it's a no"??

If we are permitted into the operating theatre, it'll be me going in. Jen wouldn't be able to stand the sight of it, whereas my stomach is more cast iron stuff.

Anyhow, thanks for the opinions/advice in advance
Hiya - just wondered what op he had before/planning for the next one and why you thought something went wrong? Did anyone explain anything to you afterwards? If something unexpected was found or a mistake DID happen then in the vast vast majority of cases this is all explained to the parents/patient.

Also parents are very rarely allowed in theatre, not so much because of infection but it can, I imagine, be pretty emotive watching your child being operated on (it can sometimes be pretty emotional looking after a child in hospital that isn;t your own!), and also what happens in theatre can look pretty confusing to the untrained eye. Also the fewer distractions in theatre the better (and what bigger distraction than a childs parent lurking over your shoulder!) You could always ask, but its generally policy not to be allowed beyond the anaesthetic room...

Hope everything goes OK!!
Old 03-04-07, 08:42 PM   #16
Baph

Jabba, no viewing area (assuming it's the same theatre as before anyway). I did manage to glance in when he was being put to sleep and taken through, but that's about it.

Anna, champion idea TYVM

Speedygirl, seems like this is your sort of profession The operation before was to remove his adanoids, but they've grown back, so he needs them removing again? Why? He makes too much mucus at the back of his nose, and this means that sleeping can be difficult. Either he wakes himself up & screams because he's tired, or he stops breathing. Neither are good, but the latter certainly isn't acceptable. To that end, I've rigged a VERY sensative alarm system (sensitive enough to feel him breathing through the matress).

We got the feeling that something was wrong, because usually he's a fighter. He'll just get on with whatever crap comes his way & it doesn't bother him. After his last operation, he didn't sleep for 2 days because he was constantly screaming. Nothing was said by the hospital, and I've seen my fair share of post operative kids, this kind of thing isn't normal. For a couple of weeks he wasn't himself, and then one day, bang, back to being him. Nothing was said by the staff about any complications whatsoever (however minor).

It's just an idea that we had so we know how things went in th op. I know it has every chance of being a different surgical team etc, it's just a matter of reassurance.

As for those that have said that it could be pretty upsetting to witness, I get what you're saying, seriously, but I don't really think it applies.

At least by posting the thread, we have a few things to look into & not just focused on the possibility of us being in the theatre.

TYVM folks
Old 03-04-07, 09:05 PM   #17
speedygirl

Hey Baph... yeah, it is my kind of profession well, of course difficult to know exactly whats been going on over t'internet, but adenoids, like tonsils can be incompletely removed and can 'grow back' adenoids are harder to get to than tonsils so that likelihood is higher than with tonsils. So although not the case in the majority of patients, certainly not unheard of, and it doesn;t always relate to what you find/remove in theatre...

About being unwell post-op, kids vary hugely and I'm not surprised he was screaming for 2 days afterwards. He might have had a tiny low grade infection that made him feel bad for a week or two but the fact he got better in the end means all OK. Kids can have noisy breathing or apnoeic episodes (not breathing for a bit) for lots of reasons apart from adenoids, but obviously someones looked and thinks a bit more needs removing - its a fairly simple procedure so good to definitely exclude that as the problem first. If still problems they can look into it further... some kids just grow out of it!

Adenoid surgery isn't great to watch, some gunky bits that get removed and generally bleed a bit. Not sure anyone who didn;t know what to look for would know what was going on!! As I say, you can always ask but may well be told no for theatre... unless somethings being done under local anaesthetic no-one can generally come in apart from the patient (and staff!)

Am sure he'll be getting great care at Alder Hey... especially with kiddy surgery communication is key and you definitely would have been told if there was anything untoward going on...

Hope that helps!!