SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-06-06, 08:55 AM   #11
robaker

Samsung recently released a 32'' High-Def CRT-based telly. Currys and Comet both stock them although they've only just come out so I'm having trouble getting hold of one. Comet were selling for £450, Currys for £500, although I'm not sure if the one in Currys included an integrated freeview decoder - if so it would explain the extra £50.
Old 13-06-06, 10:16 AM   #12
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01
Yeah Guys let me explain, not my money, personnally I would spend £200-£300 on a crt and get a HD recorder, but "she" wants something flash, so I fear it'll have to be an LCD , although anyone comes up with a flash CRT or DLP, I might be able to swing it.
I could probably photoshop you a £700 receipt and visa statement? Or alternatively, you could get a cheap one, lower the stand and have it all polished and chromed.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-06, 10:16 AM   #13
wyrdness

There's a room next to me that contains just about every new flat screen TV, for Sky testing. I'll ask the testers if they have any favourites.
Old 13-06-06, 10:24 AM   #14
Sudoxe

Mark,
I recall one of the big chains doing an offer for a 32inch HD LCD for 600odd and a bigger one for slightly more. (I'll find out when i get home)

I would go for an LCD and not a Plasma (as I have one of them and they tend to burn in after a while. I have the bbc clock on mine)

Dan
Old 13-06-06, 10:25 AM   #15
sharriso74

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdness
There's a room next to me that contains just about every new flat screen TV, for Sky testing. I'll ask the testers if they have any favourites.
And if they need anyone to test them in the home enviroment I'm more than happy to help
Old 13-06-06, 10:26 AM   #16
***Steve***

Quote:
Do what Marshall said and get a projector. Then pop down B&Q buy yourself a big sheet of MDF, cut to size and paint with Icestorm 5/6. Perfect for the footie
Old 13-06-06, 10:33 AM   #17
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Steve***
Quote:
Do what Marshall said and get a projector. Then pop down B&Q buy yourself a big sheet of MDF, cut to size and paint with Icestorm 5/6. Perfect for the footie
That's actually what I've done at home. Except that I've got a white wall above the fireplace so don't need a screen.

I'm hearing good things about the Benq W100, which is under £500. It's not High Definition though.
http://images.projectorpoint.co.uk/p...BenQ_VW100.pdf

For HD, the Sanyo Z4, Panasonic AE900 or Hitachi TX200 are all supposed to be excellent.
Old 13-06-06, 10:35 AM   #18
Peter Henry

Well there was this one I met in a bar in San Fransisco once........ :P
Old 13-06-06, 10:43 AM   #19
***Steve***

Quote:
That's actually what I've done at home. Except that I've got a white wall above the fireplace so don't need a screen.

I'm hearing good things about the Benq W100, which is under £500. It's not High Definition though.
http://images.projectorpoint.co.uk/p...BenQ_VW100.pdf

For HD, the Sanyo Z4, Panasonic AE900 or Toshiba TX200 are all supposed to be excellent.
I got given a proj & bulbs from an old workplace when they were closing a training centre down and built a screen. Total cost $15

Those are all great projectors, also the Hitatchi PJTX200 should just about come in on budget too if you shop around.
Old 13-06-06, 10:43 AM   #20
jonboy

If space isn't a problem then don't go LCD, as the picture really is crap compared to the humble (but far superior) cathode ray tube.

Me? I'd go to Tesco, Comet (whatever...) and pick up a nice widescreen 28" jobbie for £199. After all, it'll have Nicam stereo, a great picture (as virtually all CRT tubes are now made by the same company), and offers terrific value. Your only problem is what are you going to do with the five hundred quid you've just saved?