SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 31-05-10, 01:56 PM   #11
Sudoxe

Default Re: Pool for use in London

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
You need to do a course to wear a drysuit?
Not really, as with most of their advanced/specialty courses it's more of pay for an instructor to go with you the first time to make sure you know how to use it properly.

It's not nice being on a dive where your buddy isn't confident in their equipment or abilities and start to freak out over something minor that can be dealt with quickly without having to abort the dive.
Old 31-05-10, 02:02 PM   #12
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Fair one, you with BSAC?
Old 31-05-10, 02:31 PM   #13
Sudoxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Fair one, you with BSAC?
No, PADI.

When I learnt ~10 years ago, they taught you the basics of how the equiptment worked, etc. And you had to "plan a dive and dive the plan", using dive tables & wheels to work out how long you could spend at x depth, before coming up to the next level etc.

Nowadays most people have dive computers nowadays so it's not as strict and you can explore a little easier as you can do multi-leveling on the fly as you dive as your dive computer will calculate the safe no-decomp limits.

This means that lot of dive operators will now (mainly abroad) just have a quick check of your card, give the group a briefing then generally ask you if you have any issues and let you get on with it. It's not a bad thing, but you are responsible for your own safety (and your dive buddies too). So it's good to get some practical experience in what your doing with someone who is prepared to train you rather than just dump you off the back of the boat (Which is the fun bit, after the training!)

Of course saying that above, there is nothing stopping anyone buying some scuba gear and throwing yourself off a boat...it's not not a very good idea
Old 31-05-10, 02:41 PM   #14
keith_d
Mega Poster

You don't have to take a course, but there has to be someone on hand to laugh the first time you ascent feet first because you had too much air in your drysuit.

On a slightly more serious note, it's worth calling the local (council) pools and inquiring whether it's possible to hire a lane for an hour or two. I think my local pool charges around £25 to hire a lane for an hour. It's also worth having a word with the local BSAC/SAA clubs because you might be able to join them on their club night for a modest fee.

Not quite as handy as having your own pool, but maybe some help,

Keith

Last edited by keith_d; 31-05-10 at 02:50 PM.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-10, 02:59 PM   #15
keith_d
Mega Poster

Failing that there are a few other places which might be suitable for trainees:

1) Wraysbury (West London)
2) Stoney Cove (Leicestershire)
3) Swanage pier (South Coast)
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-10, 05:48 PM   #16
robh539

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
Failing that there are a few other places which might be suitable for trainees:

1) Wraysbury (West London)
2) Stoney Cove (Leicestershire)
3) Swanage pier (South Coast)
4)dosthill quarry near tamworth. Were I learnt to dive
Old 31-05-10, 08:59 PM   #17
Gabriel2k

Do you dive in the UK? Ive just come back from Sharm el Sheihk where I got a few dives in.
Old 31-05-10, 10:01 PM   #18
SVStorm

My instructor used to work for a dive school and therefore had no problem with pool time but they had a problem paying his wages hence going freelance. Before taking on the course with some of us he had agreed pool time with a school but once they realised we were doing divemaster they changed their mind as those are pricey courses. Thanks for all the ideas though I will definately look into all possibilities.

I am already dry suit and nitrox qualified and just passed my emergency first response and rescue diver. We managed everything so far in leybourne lake but needed a pool for a couple of excersises. Lake is a bit cold especially doing full mask removal and replacement.....

Dan, if you want to do any courses pm me know as my instructor is very good, flexible and cheap.

Thanks again for all the ideas .... Keep them coming