SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-04-07, 06:53 AM   #11
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Can't give up?(riding bikes)

I get twitchy and irritated if we can't go out on the bike at weekends for any reason......................and I'm just a pillion

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-07, 07:33 AM   #12
neio79

I got infected with the biking bug after going pillion on my mates VFR a couple of years back.

after that decided i ave to go and get my licence done, so i did. best thing i did

I get all twitchy if i dont go on it for a few weeks, and love being out on the bike while the weather is nice.

This year i have promised myself to get out more and go on more rideouts etc.

really looking foward to this summer and all the riding i intend to do
Old 14-04-07, 08:41 AM   #13
kwak zzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
My brother.

He gave up and sold his Duc. Couple of weeks later bought a blade, then he gave up again and bought a gsxr750. Which went about 2 months ago.

First week of sun shinning and he phones me for my opinion of the 636 Kwak.

Is it really in the blood and you will never get the bug out once it has infected you?. I gave up for 20 years and the bug ressurected eventually.
ive done the same many times, i usually last about 3 months over the winter then i got another
Old 14-04-07, 08:49 AM   #14
Alpinestarhero

I'm not too bad...although if i dont ride for more than a week i sart to feel a bit "whats the point of owning the damn thing if all I do is look at it?!"

But I couldnt get by without havign something to ride - even when i was entitled to ride only my speedfight, I missed riding that. I'll ride anything, me - its in the blood (cheers dad) and theres nothing I can do.

I get grumpy if I miss any racing too...

Matt
Old 14-04-07, 12:58 PM   #15
Sosha

Start needing a fix after about 4 weeks.... just got my FZR back of the road and despite the sh*gged suspension still puts a grin in my face on the way in to work....
Old 16-04-07, 10:40 AM   #16
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Is it really in the blood and you will never get the bug out once it has infected you?. I gave up for 20 years and the bug ressurected eventually.
Not for everyone, but for some of us it's hopeless... I remember when I was first allowed to move my leg after surgery and I found out how little movement I had in my knee, and the question for the OT wasn't "Will it get better", it was "How do I fix this enough to ride a bike". She wasn't happy, and my consultant wasn't happy, basically both recommended not to ride again... And my parents and my girlfriend weren't delighted either... But what can you do? I was back on the bike the first day I was allowed to walk without crutches, 5 minutes after I got home. The milestone wasn't "Walking without crutches", it was "Back on the bike".
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-07, 12:24 PM   #17
CoolGirl

Enforced retirement really is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Breaks my heart every time I hear a v-twin rumble.
Old 16-04-07, 12:29 PM   #18
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Not for everyone, but for some of us it's hopeless... I remember when I was first allowed to move my leg after surgery and I found out how little movement I had in my knee, and the question for the OT wasn't "Will it get better", it was "How do I fix this enough to ride a bike". She wasn't happy, and my consultant wasn't happy, basically both recommended not to ride again... And my parents and my girlfriend weren't delighted either... But what can you do? I was back on the bike the first day I was allowed to walk without crutches, 5 minutes after I got home. The milestone wasn't "Walking without crutches", it was "Back on the bike".
Heh heh, I've said it before and I'll say it again, you don't need to be able to walk to be able to ride. One working leg is good enough.

Though the funniest conversation I had was with the local 'Advanced Rider' group who were going to be taking me out for my IAM assessments...

... "We can't take you out if you're on crutches."
"Why not?"
"Well, you're on crutches. You can't walk and you can't push your bike about."
"But I won't be walking or pushing my bike about, I'll be riding it."
"Yes, but you're on crutches. What will you do when you stop?"
"Put the other foot down."
"What if you have to put your left foot down to keep the bike from falling if you veer to that side?"
"The last time I had to jam my foot down to keep a bike upright was off road and 15 years of riding ago. If I'm tht far gone on the road then I'm crashing anyway - right?"
"Exactly, and you're on crutches."
"But isn't the point of advanced training to gain/enhance your forward observation to avoid situations like that; if they can't be compensated for then it's a sure fire crash anyway. Having two good legs instead of one isn't going to make that much of a difference is it?"
"Possibly not. But you're on crutches."

Kinda get where the conversation circled round at this point.
Old 16-04-07, 02:28 PM   #19
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by K View Post
Heh heh, I've said it before and I'll say it again, you don't need to be able to walk to be able to ride.
It was more that I wasn't allowed to walk on it because my leg was held on with 3 bolts and some duck tape If I'd overstressed it and, well, stripped the threads I'd've need a hip replacement y'see.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-07, 03:55 PM   #20
clanger

Ive been into bikes since I was little, Dad took me pillion at 7yrs. Dad gave up bikes years ago, but still watches the racing and will go to Brands whenever he has the opportunity...but he is a lot jealous of me and my wheels...he told me he secretly wishes he had kept it up!

I was without a m/bike for four years whilst at uni, and that was long enough!