SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: Do you wear Hi Visibility clothing
Yes 8 11.76%
No 34 50.00%
Sometimes 26 38.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-07, 08:50 PM   #11
adamfool

Default Re: Hi Visibility clothing

i dont wear one everyday, but i keep a high viz waistcoat under my seat incase of accidents/ poor visability etc
Old 11-04-07, 09:25 PM   #12
Kate

Lol, this discussion has come up many a time. I don't see the point, I've seen riders ride with the false assumption that they are seen by motorists because they have hi-vis stuff on which is the most stupid thing a biker can do. If a car driver has missed the noise and the very bright lights of a motorbike then there is zero chance that what you are wearing makes a difference. Unless you are naked, bet you get noticed then.
Old 11-04-07, 10:02 PM   #13
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
No, that way you don't assume the b'stards must have seen you
I wear it sometimes and don't assume they must have seen me... Seems like sour grapes to do otherwise, tbh, because it COULD help, you just can't assume it will.

I wear a vest in winter, not all the time but in foul weather or dark conditions I usually do. Main reason being, it might help when I'm on the bike but it absolutely 100% WILL help if I fall off and end up lying on a dark road in my dark textiles, unconscious or immobile. Bad enough to crash in the first place, I don't want someone to drive over my head, or to lie at the side of the road unnoticed if the bike bounces off into a ditch. That's all no messing life and death stuff.

I'd like to have gear with better visibility stuff integrated, but I've never found any which is both good winter gear and also highly visible.
But we're oh so easily swayed"

Last edited by northwind; 11-04-07 at 10:18 PM.
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-07, 10:09 PM   #14
Paws

Wore a high vis jacket during winter which i also used for horse riding, ive got a high vis vest now for late night summer use/ horse riding which reads "Caution, female rider with PMT!" on the back
I found taht when i wear a high vis vest whilst horse riding i get more respect from car drivers than i do without it.
Old 12-04-07, 02:27 AM   #15
rictus01
Mega Poster

If they don't look, what does it matter what you're wearing

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 05:41 AM   #16
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
If they don't look, what does it matter what you're wearing

Cheers Mark.
I got hit by a car that looked but didn't see. I was wearing at the time a full length hi-vis jacket and lights on. He quite simply said. "I looked but didn't see you".

I don't wear one and assume that nobody has seen me.
Old 12-04-07, 06:28 AM   #17
Captain Nemo

i wear hi viz for commuting and stuff for work,
i dont assume teyve seen me, just during rush hour i want to be extra visible, seeing as most drivers are still half asleep, or thinking what to cook little britney with her turkey drummers
Old 12-04-07, 07:16 AM   #18
skint

I don't wear hi vis though perhaps I should consider. From a car rear view mirrors you can really only see the bike, headlights and riders crash lid - not the body or clothing this can only been seen from the side or rear. However it can only help I guess. My leathers are bright yellow so I'm a bit obvious to some extent.

What we should appreciate is that from a car visibility isn't perfect because of door pillars and other blind spots and bikes move very quickly. So when a car comes to make a move the driver may well look once and twice and on both occasions no bike but within a split second the bike can be there. We have to assume that we are not seen whether by genuine circumstances or just bad driving (but yes mainly the latter).

I was very nearly caught out driving a car when a bike, who's rider would have had good vision (due to height), overtaking on the outside of a long bend. I couldn't see the bike because it was hidden behind the cars and the bend of the curve. As the road straightened I looked twice, rear view and door mirrors, indicated and just caught the headlight of the bike flash in my door mirror. A second or two earlier I just might have pulled out - he was right on me by then. Phew!!

Last edited by skint; 12-04-07 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-04-07, 10:36 AM   #19
Baph

If I'm riding in anything except sunshine, I'll usually wear high-vis.

Helps drivers see me, but makes me look like a copper (when it's clean).
Old 12-04-07, 11:36 AM   #20
Colby

I used to ride a yellow ZX6, wearing yellow leathers and a fluro orange lid. Did anyone pull out in front of me.... of course they did.

I dont think I could have been any brighter.

I've seen cars pull out in front of fire engines and ambulances that had their blues and twos going. What chance do we have?