SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-03-08, 07:01 PM   #11
arenalife

Default Re: E-bay question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
I put in an early low bid just to get my name on the bidders list. I snipe things I really really want and I read somewhere if two people bid the same price, the person that wins is the person that bid first on the item.
Only if the first bid was to that finishing price.

Last edited by arenalife; 29-03-08 at 07:11 PM.
Old 29-03-08, 08:30 PM   #12
Tiger 55

Hey that's me! If the opening bid is the amount I'm willing to pay then I bid as soon as I can.

If somebody bids higher - pushing the price up as you call it - than they can have it.

If nobody else bids then I win because I haven't forgotten to bid...

If somebody else bids the same, I win as first bidder.

All bases covered
Old 29-03-08, 08:33 PM   #13
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Tiger that's exactly what i was thinking
Old 29-03-08, 10:37 PM   #14
Tomis

If you want something for the cheapest price possible you have to snipe. don't forget
he who bids early allows all other potential bidders to see his bidding profile and work
out a strategy to beat them. Ebay is a mind game.
Old 29-03-08, 10:59 PM   #15
GastonJ

I almost aways try bid in the last 30 seconds and always with a penny over the ?, so like ?25.01 so if someone has bid ?25 I get it. Most people bid early and rely on the outbid emails, since I bid in the last 30 seconds then the oubid email won't reach 'em in time.
Old 29-03-08, 10:59 PM   #16
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomis View Post
If you want something for the cheapest price possible you have to snipe. don't forget
he who bids early allows all other potential bidders to see his bidding profile and work

Who can honestly be bothered with checking other bidders profiles etc? I know i certainly can't. If i see something i want i put a bid my maximum bid on it and that's it, i just leave it. If i win it then great if not then i'll wait for another to come up.
Old 29-03-08, 11:10 PM   #17
muffles

Quote:
Sniping only works if the other bidders are manually bidding though. If I want something I bid what I'll pay for it - sniping won't stop that unless the sniper pays more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GastonJ View Post
I almost aways try bid in the last 30 seconds and always with a penny over the ?, so like ?25.01 so if someone has bid ?25 I get it. Most people bid early and rely on the outbid emails, since I bid in the last 30 seconds then the oubid email won't reach 'em in time.
Again, I don't rely on outbid emails. If I've been outbid it's because someone wants to pay more than I'm willing to. I can use the penny over - or several pennies over - trick as first bidder in case someone wants to try that, e.g. I bid 25.03 so if someone guesses (or tests the water by steadily increasing the bid) that I'm maxing it at 25, and they bid 25.01, it won't work.

The sniping, bidding late, etc only affects people who use it differently to the above - there are plenty though. For me, it doesn't, as the price I'm willing to pay is not influenced by the presence of other bidders, or the amount they are bidding.
Old 29-03-08, 11:16 PM   #18
Tomis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
Who can honestly be bothered with checking other bidders profiles etc? I know i certainly can't. If i see something i want i put a bid my maximum bid on it and that's it, i just leave it. If i win it then great if not then i'll wait for another to come up.
That won't work if what you want is a one off. You won't get much in life
if you just can't be bothered to go for it.
Old 29-03-08, 11:34 PM   #19
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

If it's a one off then i'd be willing to pay more for it, but either way it still has its value.
Old 30-03-08, 06:51 AM   #20
Tiger 55

Quote:
If you want something for the cheapest price possible you have to snipe.
No, you don't.

The cheapest possible price is the starting bid. If that's the price you're willing to pay then waiting till the last 3 seconds just invites somebody else to bid that price first and then you lose.

As for not getting much out of life if you can't be bothered to go for it, thanks, I'll keep that in mind.