SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-04-08, 06:51 PM   #11
ezrider111

Default Re: Need a new chain and sprocket... Which?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
I'm a little lost. The SV650 uses a 525 chain as standard, changing the number of teeth on the sprockets will alter the final gearng on the bike making it feel different though.
i got a 525 chain and sprocket i wasn't sure if i had to get a front sprocket as well, i didn't know the SV was already 525 that's why i didn't put it on yet so i hope that's a little clearer and that's why i joined this forum don't know much about bikes i just see so many people getting help on here
Old 01-04-08, 07:00 PM   #12
Dangerous Dave

You always want to replace both Sprockets and chain all at the same time, a worn chain will wear new sprockets or warn sprokets will wear a new chain!
Old 01-04-08, 07:07 PM   #13
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
You always want to replace both Sprockets and chain all at the same time, a worn chain will wear new sprockets or warn sprokets will wear a new chain!
+1. And this wear will be much faster than a new chain & sprockets wear together. It's a false economy not to replace all at the same time.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 07:19 PM   #14
ezrider111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
ok co0l thanks bro when i ordered it online i seen Driven 525 sprocket SET when it got here just had the rear sprocket so i guess i need to order one man i wanted to put it on

Thanks guys cheers
Old 01-04-08, 07:26 PM   #15
Dangerous Dave

Sprocket set usually implies a pair, front and rear. Ask the seller/supplier and see if you were supposed to get both sprockets.
Old 02-04-08, 09:16 AM   #16
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_rider1990 View Post
I think i'll go for the kit that ive put a link to... I've got a scottoiler fitted so hopefully it'll last a long time.
Morning all.

The kit above contains an AP/Apx grade chain, which Tsubaki recommend for the SV.
I have found that their SG/SGX premium chain lasts appreciably longer & is well worth the extra £. Ask Derbybiker.

Cheers.
Old 02-04-08, 09:56 AM   #17
thedonal

All this is good- intobikes do a kit for about £80-90 for Tsubaki chain and steel sprockets. I shall be purchasing at the end of the month, as I've got a tight spot and it's getting to changing time anyway...
Old 02-04-08, 11:25 PM   #18
philbond07

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Renthal sprockets are aluminium though, they need a bit more TLC and won't last like steel can usually- if you baby them they do last very well, far better than most ally sprockets, but a stif chain will tear them apart in no time.

Really steel makes more sense, they're cheap and very tough, and the weight difference isn't much- you won't notice it. I use Renthal sprockets essentially because I'm a moron and because I'm on an ill-conceived weight-loss crusade but if I wasn't I'd use the OEM set. Though on that thought, OEM is an endless link which means removing the swingarm. Most people don't want to do that, I always think it's a good idea since otherwise nobody ever lubricates their swingarm linkages
Yes that's what I think too. I think I'll go for the genuine front sprocket (with rubbers on the side for chain soft-landing & low-noise) and the genuine or aftermarket rear sprocket, plus a 525vm2 did chain.
Wonder though if there is much quality difference in the steel rear sprockets between afam, jt, renthal, ... ?
Old 03-04-08, 07:46 AM   #19
petevtwin650

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbond07 View Post
Yes that's what I think too. I think I'll go for the genuine front sprocket (with rubbers on the side for chain soft-landing & low-noise) and the genuine or aftermarket rear sprocket, plus a 525vm2 did chain.
Wonder though if there is much quality difference in the steel rear sprockets between afam, jt, renthal, ... ?
Buy the kit from a suzuki dealer. Only about 110 quid all in. Only thing extra you'll have to buy if you're picky is the locktab for the front sprocket nut. The chain is endless but comes with a soft link in the box.
Old 03-04-08, 08:03 AM   #20
sv_rider1990

Right ordered a renthal front sprocket 1 tooth less on the front.... Renthal alluminium lightweight rear sprocket and a gold Iris chain also while taking the rear wheel off i shall replace the rubber bushes in the wheel with new ones.

I was going to get the tsukabi kit but thought id spend abit extra.