SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-04-08, 04:17 PM   #11
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Emergency Stop(ie)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Getting between a vehicle and the kerb is putting yourself in danger of EXACTLY the event that is mentioned, and as such is a mugs game.
Not only that you are IMHO in danger of not being seen by bigger vehicles, busses, lorries etc.

I wouldnt do it, just wait a few seconds for a safer opportunity to present itself.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-08, 04:23 PM   #12
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRAMASHER View Post
Car passengers fault. Car driver too for not indicating and pulling into the kerb. Why did you think it was yours?
Unfortunately it is more your fault than the car passenger, filtering between a vehicle and kerb is a no no!

As for the car passenger, not really there fault as the open door was kerb side and close to the kerb, some blame could be shifted towards them for not looking though.

I wouldn't even bother with telling your insurance company if no other damage was caused to car or property.
Old 29-04-08, 04:56 PM   #13
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Unfortunately it is more your fault than the car passenger, filtering between a vehicle and kerb is a no no!

As for the car passenger, not really there fault as the open door was kerb side and close to the kerb, some blame could be shifted towards them for not looking though.

I wouldn't even bother with telling your insurance company if no other damage was caused to car or property.

If the car was so close to the kerb the fella would not have been filtering through?

As somebody has said, all the shiite () of the road hangs about there waiting to give your tyres a nailing. If i really need to go down that way its at walking pace having a paddle.

Still , they had our guy off and I would have been looking for witnesses and getting the old camera phone out. The driver would not be looking "bemused" either.

....he is still having to pay out for bits himself cos of some inconsiderate car driver. The driver even knew there was a "pesky" bike behind him as the biker had the good manners to let him in.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-08, 05:12 PM   #14
simonthepost

[quote=mitchbligh;1494155]Major stoppie followed with me managing to stop with my bike perfectly vertical! I was expecting the lot to go over the front and sandwich me into the road but the bike fell sideways and managed to hook itself into the handrail by a smashed rear faring! (Unbelievably, the ONLY damage caused by the crash!!!)I stepped off onto the road and could not believe my eyes! My bike, engine running and rear wheel happily spinning, perfectly stood on it's front wheel up against the fence.
quote]
don't spose you got any pics?
Old 29-04-08, 05:15 PM   #15
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Despite you being right - I still disagree (as I do with Stu above)

Getting between a vehicle and the kerb is putting yourself in danger of EXACTLY the event that is mentioned, and as such is a mugs game.

Doesn't mean I dont do it from time to time, but I would rather filter on the line between traffic going my way and going the other than go up along the kerb in about 90% of occasion.
Absolutely, I do hate doing it myself, but will occasionally, as you say you do too.
Cyclists do it all the time - quite rightly so cars should be expecting it.

Will try to raise it up my percieved hazards list tho! thanks for the warning MB
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-08, 08:38 PM   #16
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Cyclists do it all the time - quite rightly so cars should be expecting it.
Yep and quite frequently they get knocked off and die.

Been a spate of cyclists filtering up the inside of buses / lorries and then the lorry legitamately turning left at a junction and not seeing the cyclist and pushing them into the kerb or worse under the wheels of the trailer.

IMHO never rely on a driver of any vehicle "expecting" you to do anything, dont put yourself in a vulnerable position, stay safe.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-08, 08:39 PM   #17
I'm_a_Newbie

Defo the fault of the person opening the door. It is their responsibilty to make sure that it is safe to open the door i.e. there is no traffic about to pass.

Tim
Old 29-04-08, 08:50 PM   #18
Davido

Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 29-04-08, 09:35 PM   #19
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRAMASHER View Post
Car passengers fault. Car driver too for not indicating and pulling into the kerb. Why did you think it was yours?
Disagree completely. He was dangerously overtaking on the left. If he'd had a nasty off, the other party could rightly claim that it was his fault and he could even be looking at a dangerous driving charge.
Old 29-04-08, 10:55 PM   #20
philbut

I got caught out overtaking (at walking pace) down the left of a car. A woman turned right in front of me and I hit her bumper. It was my fault as I was overtaking on the wrong side of the car, despite the fact the car driver completely failed to see me.

incidentally, cyclists ARE allowed to pass on that side obviously, but I always do so with caution, as I have lost count of the number of times peopole have failed to see me approaching and either cut me up or opened a door - people just don't expect a vehicle to be there.