SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-10-09, 10:48 AM   #11
trumpet

Default Re: What Tyres To Put On? Sticky Tyres.

Dunlop Qualiferers perform brill on Gladius,but got down to legal limit at 4000 even with running bike in. mich.pilot powers seem as good and are lasting longer but that could be with roads being a bit damp n salty lately on the A686.
Old 19-10-09, 10:53 AM   #12
timwilky
Mega Poster

I keep saying, but nobody seems to be listening, try the Rossos. I really do rate them as a sports road tyre

warm up a lot faster than my previous corsas and corner very well

Whoops, just checked the range and they do not do em in SV size

Last edited by timwilky; 19-10-09 at 11:13 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-09, 11:03 AM   #13
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Pirelli Diablo.
http://www.pirelli.co.uk/web/catalog...hicleType=MOTO

You'll get 5k out of then, but not a huge amount more, but if you've got a LOT of confidence if your riding ability to get your knee down and push your bike more than most, these are what I would recommend, especially as they keep their heat well even in rain, which means you're fine if you do get caught short.

I've had them on during a track day and they performed brilliantly! Much easier to warm up than the Supercorsa Pros, and much more grip at full lean than Sports Tourer tyres like the Avon Storms.

SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008

Last edited by Steve_God; 19-10-09 at 11:07 AM.
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-09, 11:25 AM   #14
carty

I Can Really Recommend The Maxxis Supermaxx Tyres. They Are Very Sticky And Also Good Value For Money At £160ish Fitted Ride In Ride Out.
Old 19-10-09, 11:57 AM   #15
vardypeeps

Wang some Storms on you won't regret it!
Old 19-10-09, 01:19 PM   #16
chakraist

I've gone to Qualifier RRs - they take a while to get heat in them but once you're there, you're really there. I can't use the whole tyre either without decking my exhaust, which is rather nice.
Old 19-10-09, 10:03 PM   #17
Ratty

Default Re: What Tyres To Put On? Sticky Tyres!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
You arent going to find a sports sticky tyre that will give the the tyre life you are after. Just isnt going to happen.

You either get sticky with good grip and short lifespan or less sticky with more life span.

You wont get a tyre that will give both.
I can't agree with you there Fizz. I've been using Pilot Power 2CT's for a couple of years now and got over 5000 miles ( including 3 track days ) out of a rear and my current front which is nearly dead has done 6500 and 5 track days. This is on a SV1000S

They are easily good enough for knee downs on the track, even with my diddy legs. My current rear which is also 3 track days old is more worn on the edges than down the middle ( Vee-ed off ? ) showing how well the dual compound works.

Not cheap ( until you consider the life ) but excepitionally good tyres and the mags like them too.

Ratty
Old 19-10-09, 10:14 PM   #18
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: What Tyres To Put On? Sticky Tyres!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
I can't agree with you there Fizz. I've been using Pilot Power 2CT's for a couple of years now and got over 5000 miles ( including 3 track days ) out of a rear
I had a set of those my GSXR, the rear lasted 3500 miles.. the last 500 miles of which were nooo fun at all.

Riding style, roads you ride, what you use the bike for all make a diference. I suspect your probably alot smoother with the throttle than I am, which will no doubt also help to.

I was generalising I realise that But I still stand by what I said. To expect to get decent life and stupid amount of grip out a tyre is a bit like asking for the moon on a stick IMHO.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-09, 10:52 PM   #19
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Race take offs make more sense for what you want to do.
Old 19-10-09, 11:07 PM   #20
xXBADGERXx

I`m running a pair of race take off Pirelli Diablo Supercorsers in SC1 and SC2 compund , they are sticky , get crazy lean angles with them and won`t last very long at all . On the Flipside I have had 2 Avon Storm rears and 1 Front . One rear lasted 6667 miles , the other lasted 7250 and was well past the wear marker and as Square as a briefcase after doing lots of Motorway mileage . My bike was first equipped with Metzeler MeZ 4`s and they did not last long at all , I destroyed the rear in no time at all . They felt awful from the get go and did not inspire confidance , neither did the D202 ? Dunlop I had on the back after that . What I am basically saying in a roundabout way is that the tyre that gave me the best Mileage , the most fun and no dramas whatsoever and was used all the way to the very edge was ............................................ The Avon Storm .