SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 24-04-14, 06:15 AM   #11
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Re: insurance oddity

I asked a mate who worked in motor before about this, his response is that you wouldn't normally get requests like this. The only thing he can think of is that you told them it was in a garage and they have run a data wash of addresses against land registry recordsa and found out you don't have one.

He also suggested that as its an email you call them on the number on your proper documents to make sure it's legit.
Old 24-04-14, 06:22 AM   #12
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Quotelinedirect.

If it was knicked/cloned or used in crime why would it matter where its been kept? As if it was being used in those crimes it would be being used and not parked at a home. Even if it was driving round in Scotland there's nothing to say to you them that it isn't me driving it and I would have pinged police anpr down here and been pulled for most other things.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-14, 06:52 AM   #13
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default insurance oddity

I guess maybe if they had suspicions they would be trying to see if secure or for CCTV maybe, like I said only things I could think of.
Old 24-04-14, 08:26 AM   #14
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

The only thing that I can think of is the deeds for the house came through roughly the same time as I bought the new insurance?

Checking the documents I insured it as being kept on the road outside, sometimes it's on the drive but I thought I'd play it safe.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Old 24-04-14, 09:21 AM   #15
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Well that was weird.

I rang them asking why they needed to know. First person said they needed to check my no claims, I got hit last year which wasn't my fault but it was going to go to court, I didnt think my policy would increase as much as the earnings I'd loose from spending the day in court as I was busy at that time so I let it slide, ironically my insurance is a **** load cheaper this year with the accepted claim so it worked out well.

I was then transfered to someone else who wanted to know my old policy details so they could run a check on me as I hadn't accumulated any no claims for last year. Again I don't see what the big deal is as I declared the accident and as my fault ect, he put me on hold and ten mins later said "yep that all checks out, we've released you your certificates ect", I already had them which I explained and asked why they didn't ask for my old policy details rather than my adress, all of which he couldn't answer.

What an organised company.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Old 24-04-14, 09:33 AM   #16
SvNewbie

Assume all insurances companies are rubbish until proven otherwise. Not like you should expect any kind of service from a company you are paying hundreds of pounds a year to after all.
Old 24-04-14, 09:59 AM   #17
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroUK View Post
Hmmm that is odd then.

Only things I can think of would be:
Possibly stolen;
Possibly used in a crime and they want to see if it was this van or it's been cloned;
Possibility they think it hasn't been continuously insured (maybe pinged by ANPR or something so the police checked it); or
A complete load of spherical security devices.

Who is it through?
Those would be the police's* job though and nowt to do with a current insurer.

*Or whatever shower of gimps run the CIE cluster-f