SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-04-06, 09:55 PM   #211
lynw

Reading the history on the BBC site, it suggests that King John began building Dublin castle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/timelin...ond_pale.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/timelin...ing_pale.shtml

It is suggested that the area around the castle became known as the Pale around the late 1300s. It cant have been as early as King John as the Pale was a small area that was believed to be left after the Bruce invasion in 1315 and the impact of the black death among other factors.

PS. damn interesting discussion and thread
Old 04-04-06, 10:28 PM   #212
philipMac

ha ha.I am definately reaching the edge of what I know here. I seem to be reaching for wiki again...

"Dublin became the centre of English power in Ireland after the 12th century Norman conquest of the southern half of Ireland (Munster and Leinster), replacing Tara in Meath -- seat of the Gaelic High Kings of Ireland -- as the focal point of Ireland's polity. Over time, however, many of the Anglo-Norman conquerors were absorbed into the Irish culture, adopting the Irish language and customs, leaving only a small area around Dublin, known as the Pale, under direct English control. People outside this area were still considered savage, giving rise to the expression "Beyond the Pale"."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Dublin

Hmm. I dunno. This seems to be pointing back again to Dublin. But, you seem to have a fairly firm grasp of history here, and I am going from a memory that is about 17 years old at this point
Old 05-04-06, 09:58 PM   #213
lynw

Ok heres another historical one for you.

Most words beginning with Al are derived from Arabic, Al being the definite article. So from Arabic we have the words Algebra [from bone setting if you will, not got that one sussed as yet], Alkali, Algorithm, and Alcohol.

The origin of the word Alcohol is believed to be Alkuhl. The kuhl was reference to a fine powder most often made from Antimony and used by women to darken their eyelids. In fact thats where the term Kohl for such make up we use nowadays derives from.

Over time the term Alkuhl came to mean any fine powder produced in a number of ways. The English form of the word, derived through Medieval Latin from the Arabic was first recorded in 1543. By that time Arabic chemists were using the term Alkuhl to refer to substances obtained through distillation. Around 1672 one of these distilled essences was known as alcohol of wine, it being the constituent of fermented liquors that caused intoxication. This was then abbreviated to alcohol which now refers to the liquor that contained the essence.
Old 06-04-06, 01:22 AM   #214
philipMac

Assasin is derived from (haššāšīn), Hashshashin, which were a gang of Islamic dudes who ate a load of Hashish before took other fellas out.

Not a very good fact really. Alcohol was more interesting
Old 06-04-06, 07:44 PM   #215
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipMac
Assasin is derived from (haššāšīn), Hashshashin, which were a gang of Islamic dudes who ate a load of Hashish before took other fellas out.

Not a very good fact really. Alcohol was more interesting
I didnt know that. Learn something daily in this thread. Btw, is it the Phillip & Lyn show atm? :P

Ok todays one:

Salary is derived from the Roman salarium meaning a payment in salt. Given the precious nature of salt as a commodity in those times soldiers were more likely to be given a salary to allow them to buy salt to use than be paid in salt.

The term soldier was derived from the latin solidum or soldum, meaning pay. It is known the soldiers were paid with a coin known as a solidus.

Old 07-04-06, 10:03 AM   #216
Amanda M

I don't know anything interesting so reading this is enlightening me Carry on Lynw and Philip
Old 07-04-06, 12:01 PM   #217
M65

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw

Ok todays one:

Salary is derived from the Roman salarium meaning a payment in salt. Given the precious nature of salt as a commodity in those times soldiers were more likely to be given a salary to allow them to buy salt to use than be paid in salt.
My companies salary structure still dates back to those times I think
Old 07-04-06, 12:08 PM   #218
Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by M65
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw

Ok todays one:

My companies salary structure still dates back to those times I think
Old 07-04-06, 02:35 PM   #219
philipMac

ha ha... emmmm,
alright then... I did the Arab connection, Lyn also had a make up section... so, this link is a stretch.

Deadly nightshade has the latin name Belladonna, which means beautiful woman. So, the deal was, if you took a lot of this you bought it, and all sorts of Roman emporors and things were killed this way (like Claudius).
But, if you take just the right amount though, you looked "strangely beautiful"

If a woman (or a man) dilates her eyes, this means they are either scared, in the dark, OR completely in love with the person you are looking at.

And, this is what Belladonna does, it makes your eyes perminently dilated a bit, so every guy you look at sub conciously gets the message that the woman is hopelessly in love with them, and therefore is beautiful to him

Phew.
Old 07-04-06, 03:02 PM   #220
Jase22

Here's one for you:

All polar bears are left handed.