SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-04-21, 11:31 AM   #231
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Can we agree that no car achieves it's WLTP range / mpg figures, no matter the fuel? Those are lab results. If so, nothing will meet claimed range.

In which case, I would not dispute that real world ranges are less than that advertised but like many things it depends on how advertised range was worked out (not all test cycles are equal) and driving style. I'd be very surprised if an i-Pace is only getting 150 miles on a full charge if driven normally.

My own experience is that I'm getting 80-95% of the claimed range of my ID.4, driving normally. (around 270-290 miles) I see many folks on the electric Mii and e-UP! forums getting in excess of the 160 mile claimed range. I see e-Tron drivers getting well below the WLTP, but don't care as it charges so fast. Tesla drivers regularly state over 300 miles on a charge. I guess it depends if you are following a pro-EV media or an anti-EV media.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-21, 08:35 PM   #232
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
The latest real life range figures on BEV ranges make bad reading, they seem to be getting 60% of range claimed by car makers - even the Jag i-Pace only getting 150 miles.
Surprise, surprise !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-21, 06:50 AM   #233
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules
The latest real life range figures on BEV ranges make bad reading, they seem to be getting 60% of range claimed by car makers - even the Jag i-Pace only getting 150 miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Surprise, surprise !
...I never achieved the mpg figures of the cars I bought either. Nothing has changed.

I think one assumption we make about electric cars is that everyone that owns an ICE car will buy an electric car. I think prices will be too high for that and the government will push people towards public transport instead.
Old 25-04-21, 08:12 AM   #234
redtrummy

I think one assumption we make about electric cars is that everyone that owns an ICE car will buy an electric car. I think prices will be too high for that and the government will push people towards public transport instead. __________________

I agree - Covid permitting!

I really think there is a role for a stripped back no frills, small basic and cheap electric car. Thinking back to when a friend had a Bond 3 wheeler with the Villiers engine mounted over the front wheel. No heater as such, no reverse but it could turn in around in its own diameter, and about 250 miles between something needing attenion! Fun days.

Not that I am advocating anything quite so extreme.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-21, 08:56 AM   #235
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Take a BEV anywhere near a motorway and range plummets, range figures are done at 50mph. There is as much power in gallon of petrol ( 25KWh ) as in the first Nissan Leaf battery that would get you 60 miles on a good day. BEV are good for local knocking around as better than ICE in traffic - but mega expensive as a 'second car' to go shopping. People are hooked on personal transport, and unless everyone moves back into city living then the transport system outside big towns and cities is patchy - and expensive. To think people will go back to buses and trains is not understanding human nature.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-21, 11:43 AM   #236
svenrico

My motorbike is currently showing around 67 mpg on the dash display if that is anything to go by !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-21, 12:16 PM   #237
Luckypants
Mega Poster

My BEV is doing 120 MPGe thanks.

There may be 25kWh of energy in a gallon of petrol, I haven't checked but will take your word... However reciprocating engines are extremely inefficient and even the best only turn 25% of that into useful power. So electric motors are over 90% efficient, hence less need for hundreds of kWh in the "tank".

Old 18-05-21, 04:22 PM   #238
Luckypants
Mega Poster

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Old 18-05-21, 04:58 PM   #239
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Now all that is needed is a reliable power supply to Rugby... bad news is that for last 6 weeks+ wind has been loafing off ( <5% ) and also Solar does not work in the dark.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 18-05-21 at 05:16 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-21, 10:21 PM   #240
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I think someone posted a link or a picture about this which claimed the batteries were too expensive to replace resulting in the scrapping of a fleet of electric cars. This article contains the correct facts.
https://fullfact.org/online/electric...DqZWP1M1oGe9bQ

Last edited by garynortheast; 18-05-21 at 10:23 PM.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote