SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-01-10, 03:53 PM   #2661
sarah

Default Re: The running thread!

15.25 miles done. Time for a soak in the bath now
Old 03-01-10, 01:26 PM   #2662
stewie

Just been out and done a very cold and incredibly icy 6.3 miles, it was like running on a ribbon of ice for at least half of it and I seemed to spend the bulk of it just concerntrating on staying upright, but, I managed to set a new pb for the 10k part of it so a nice bonus and another 6.3 in the bank.
Old 03-01-10, 01:27 PM   #2663
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Just been out and done a very cold and incredibly icy 6.3 miles, it was like running on a ribbon of ice for at least half of it and I seemed to spend the bulk of it just concerntrating on staying upright, but, I managed to set a new pb for the 10k part of it so a nice bonus and another 6.3 in the bank.
well done! it's hard work running when it's slippery.
Old 03-01-10, 02:09 PM   #2664
krhall

Bl00dy hell Sarah, that's some great running you must be well pleased? and how are the legs today?

Stew - Did you manage to avoid all things vehicular?

I am just back from a 14.5 mile run which was supposed to be 13 miles, under estimated the distance by quite a way...feel ok though especially as 8 of the mile were between 7:45 & 8:10.
Old 03-01-10, 02:14 PM   #2665
krhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw View Post
Anyone got any suggestions/websites for someone starting running?

Previously I have got injured fairly quickly so invariably given up. This time I am a bit better clued up - I now know I under pronate so have appropriate cushioned trainers unlike my last lot which may go some way to avoiding injury. Im also doing 15 mins of yoga prior to the running plus the stretching before and after to minimise injury. Seems to help.

Im pretty much going by time exercising right now in that Im alternating running/walking spread over about 20 mins. Would it be better to get up to being able to run that 20 mins before extending the time or extend the time as I run longer sections? How much should I look at increasing by in terms of time/distance? and how long at that level before I look at increasing that?

I would like to be able to run a 5k at least by the mid point of this year - anyone any useful websites with training programs or suggestions?
If you have done it before and been injured, then given up take it really slowly and build up.

Sarah suggests the run/walk method and I'd agree with that it really seems to have paid dividends for her. She has only just come back from a long period of injury and is now up to over 15 miles, which shows you what is possible if you do it properly.

Of course having trainers which help with your supination will also help massively.

GOOD LUCK and come back and let us know how you get on!
Old 03-01-10, 02:49 PM   #2666
Purplevamp

Hi Guys, Sarah directed me to this thread as i mentioned in the weight loss thread that i have started running.
I am planning on taking part in numerous charity runs this year and need to start running on the road.
I am running on a treadmill at my gym 3 times a week, i do a 5k run everytime i go and my best time so far is 23 mins and 39 seconds and its a comfortable pace for me too.
Sometimes if im feeling energetic i will do another 5 k run after the rest of my workout.
So my hubby bought me a fab new pair of running shoes for christmas, and now i want to get stuck into some serious training.
After reading some of the post in this thread you guys are serious runners, i can only dream to run some of the distances you guys do, so any tips would greatly be appreciated.
Old 03-01-10, 04:25 PM   #2667
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post
Bl00dy hell Sarah, that's some great running you must be well pleased? and how are the legs today?

Stew - Did you manage to avoid all things vehicular?

I am just back from a 14.5 mile run which was supposed to be 13 miles, under estimated the distance by quite a way...feel ok though especially as 8 of the mile were between 7:45 & 8:10.
I can feel that I ran yesterday but not too bad at all. Last 2-3 miles of the run was hard work, wasn't helped by it being mega muddy and slippery which really upset my pace and rhythm.

Flipping heck Kev, I wish I could run at that pace for even a couple of miles
Old 03-01-10, 04:28 PM   #2668
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplevamp View Post
Hi Guys, Sarah directed me to this thread as i mentioned in the weight loss thread that i have started running.
I am planning on taking part in numerous charity runs this year and need to start running on the road.
I am running on a treadmill at my gym 3 times a week, i do a 5k run everytime i go and my best time so far is 23 mins and 39 seconds and its a comfortable pace for me too.
Sometimes if im feeling energetic i will do another 5 k run after the rest of my workout.
So my hubby bought me a fab new pair of running shoes for christmas, and now i want to get stuck into some serious training.
After reading some of the post in this thread you guys are serious runners, i can only dream to run some of the distances you guys do, so any tips would greatly be appreciated.
Welcome to the best thread

Well done with running that much on a treadmill! I get bored after a few minutes of running on a treadmill.
Old 03-01-10, 04:30 PM   #2669
sarah

Has anyone else entered the ballot for the GNR?
Old 03-01-10, 04:40 PM   #2670
stewie

There is a real mix of running standards on here so no one should feel anything but welcome, so er welcome aboard purplevamp
Not gone for the GNR ballot, have you Sarah ? meant to add earlier well done on the 15 miler, nice one, and Kev, yep nothing vehicularily untoward occurred today