SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 05-03-08, 12:42 PM   #21
Tim in Belgium

Default Re: Lap times?

I do lap timing at the 'Ring for general interest to see how I'm doing, it's a matter of mind set not to get sucked into racing, I always slow for flags, let faster bikes (and cars at the 'Ring) pass me. Again at a trackday it would be interesting to see your general trends, but I agree that it should be about having fun and keeping safe.

At some of the european track days they provide transponders and move people about the groups depending on their lap times. So I don't think timing automatically means more crashes.
Old 05-03-08, 12:46 PM   #22
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluethunder View Post
Are true but after talking to the guy I got my bike from he, said most tracks just em switched on. long as your destrict with the use of ur timer they won't even notice.
I haven't even got a clue what you're trying to say dude.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 01:58 PM   #23
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
So where would I find most of the 10 secs difference?
later braking? I guess?
Without seeing you in action how can I possibly know?!!?!? ? with 10 seconds off, its safe to say there is probably room for improvement in ALL areas, some will be more prevalent than others if we could see you in action. But yes, I most commonly see people losing the majority of their time on the brakes and corner entry. This is where to get out of low to mid inters you need to really be working hard on ?running the brakes?. Do you do this at all at the moment??? ? if not at brands, I can guarantee you are losing >=4sec a lap on that alone

My time was a 'official' time using a transponder, but for trackdays I'd look at making a cheap make-shift finger operated laptimer - look here

You are aware laptiming on a TD is strictly prohibited right?!!?

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 05-03-08 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-03-08, 03:49 PM   #24
Tim in Belgium

That blue make shift item looks ideal, although I'll install an extra switch as beeping over the start finish straight every time might be a bit of a give away
Old 05-03-08, 03:57 PM   #25
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
That blue make shift item looks ideal, although I'll install an extra switch as beeping over the start finish straight every time might be a bit of a give away
To be fair, if using the horn button, you would be unpluging the horn to do it anyway
Old 05-03-08, 04:00 PM   #26
Tim in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
To be fair, if using the horn button, you would be unpluging the horn to do it anyway
True...
Old 05-03-08, 04:55 PM   #27
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Might be an idea to push the button at a slower part of the circuit every time (like bridge before Druids) might be more accurate than when you're flat out?
Old 05-03-08, 08:39 PM   #28
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Might be an idea to push the button at a slower part of the circuit every time (like bridge before Druids) might be more accurate than when you're flat out?
Shouldn't one be on the brakes at Druids and be seriously thinking about turning in!?!

I tend to use one of the grid lines at Brands to hit the button. And then try and fight the urge to have a look at the time as I need to be thinking about paddock hill, not looking at my laptime!!!

As for accuracy, on a trackday, you don't really need to know your laptimes down to hundredths of a second do you!!

You never did say if you ran the brakes into turns ...
Old 05-03-08, 09:01 PM   #29
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

No, probably not nice & slow before entering any of those dangerous corner thingys. With 4 or 5 people coming off out of the 20 or so that I knew there, I was quite happy to finish the day still upright
Old 05-03-08, 09:03 PM   #30
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

oh, another question. rear brakes? yes use everthing you can or no don't waste your concentration/effort?