SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-02-09, 04:56 PM   #21
Dappa D

Default Re: possibly 1 for mr spiers? microphone help....

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_rehm_hext View Post
Dappa- I work as a freelance live sound engineer and sometimes in the studio, mainly nowdays only working in the studio to do stuff for myself as I focus on live sound.

The SE2200a is a very good mic I have used it a few times for vocals and it sounds good.

What is the recording equipment you are using? from the mic to the (i'm assuming) digital storage medium?
ah cool i wasnt sure if u were saying you done a bit of this and that or u actually are an engineer so thats good to know,

ive got a pretty basic set up, mic as said, tascam ul122 audio interface, desktop comp running protools, reason 4 and cubase sx 3, oxygen 8 midi controller and various other keyboards that i useas controllers, behringer bcf2000 digital mixing desk (dont use it when mastering/final mix down as it aint great but helps get ideas down quick)...a crappy but does the job usb turntable should i want to sample vinyl also have an old copy of nuendo but not used it as find the cubase and reason set up best, and a pair of tannoy reveal (5A i think they are called)monitors, suround sound and stereo speakers hooked up so i can A/B through the various speakers

goes without saying got loads of the free plugins/vst's/vsti;s etc ....thinking about getting the vintage warmer when funds are better, and would like a korg ms20 but all costs....

will take time to build again as sold all my stuff 8yrs ago when i went to work abroad but im getting there..all be it slowly!!!
Old 09-02-09, 05:36 PM   #22
anna
Mega Poster

DD check out Richer sounds on the top of white ladies road if they are still there..always friendly and usually have some bargain stuff.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 05:57 PM   #23
Spikenipple

The Shure Beta 58 is surprisingly good to record vocals in a studio environment. It's almost identical to the SM58 but has a quicker transient response and is more transparent.

My old SV

South & West Surfer
Spikenipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 06:10 PM   #24
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikenipple View Post
It's almost identical to the SM58
I do not agree.
The beta model is far superior to the point that if I had spec'd a beta58a and someone supplied an SM I would refuse to use it.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 10:11 PM   #25
Spikenipple

Hence me saying why the Beta is better
The AKG C1000S is also around £100 (depending where you look) and is pretty flexible. It's not the best for vocals but performs very well for the price, and can be used for all sorts of instruments with clear results.

My old SV

South & West Surfer
Spikenipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 11:10 PM   #26
xXBADGERXx

What about using some of those Green Joe Meek boxes , I used to sell a lot of those a fair few years ago and some of the TC Electronics stuff . A lot of peole with studio mikes complained of a very brittle sound and used to warm them up a bit with these boxes . I am trying to remember a mike that was a Neumann copy that I used to sell , began with an L and those flew off the shelves , was never a fan of the RODEnt`s LOL
Old 09-02-09, 11:39 PM   #27
matt_rehm_hext

I think it might be worth trying a decent valve preamp or something similar
Old 09-02-09, 11:51 PM   #28
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_rehm_hext View Post
I think it might be worth trying a decent valve preamp or something similar
Well worth considering.

Keep an eye on this Dappa D. ebay item no 110348793335
Can personally vouch for this, I've owned one for many years and rate it very highly, especially for the cost. The compressor is very transparent which I really like also.
If you can get that for £150 you'll be very happy IMO.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Old 09-02-09, 11:52 PM   #29
anna
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappa D View Post

I currently have a Rode NT1-A mic in the studio and its becoming to much of a PITA now.

Basically its a great mic, but too clear for my liking. I have to tweak with equalizer after to get it sounding how i like it. im after something that doesnt pick up quite so many frequancies...
Having re-read your post you are after a microphone that doesnt perform as well as the NT1.

Foget the SM Beta 58 and just get a bog standard SM58 you dont need a better microphone as you are not using it as a vocal mic is normally used.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 12:02 AM   #30
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna View Post
Having re-read your post you are after a microphone that doesnt perform as well as the NT1.

Foget the SM Beta 58 and just get a bog standard SM58 you dont need a better microphone as you are not using it as a vocal mic is normally used.
The SM Beta 58?

Dappa D Already owns an Sm58 but stated it didn't cut it in the studio. That's why i think for his budget a beta58a will be the better option for a few reasons.
It will perform better than the SM58 as its frequency response is 2kHz higher than the SM58 however as it is dynamic it should by design sound less clinical than a Condenser.
The beta58a is also about 6db louder than the SM58 so doesn't need driving as hard to sound good something the SM58 suffers from, saying that it shouldn't be as 'excitable' as a condenser microphone.