SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-09-07, 04:38 PM   #21
Pedrosa

Default Re: Any Army Officers?

Salvation Army Lead Bugler,any good to yer?
Old 16-09-07, 05:53 PM   #22
Sideshow#36

I'm in the RAF but we work with the Army most of the time. We are the RAF's poor relation that they like to forget about.... I'm not bitter, lol. But the Army are a good bunch of guys. Work a lot with the REME lads. In my 5 years in ive seen and done a lot of things I didnt even know I could do. Its a good life in my opinion.
Old 18-09-07, 08:44 AM   #23
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
RAF is the better one tbh. Safer for a start and you get a nice blue uniform and have Green's to play in.

Im in the RAF but im no officer. Glad of it tbh, seems 90% of 'em come out of Cranwell as ******s.

But if you go into any force dont let the 'power' get to your head you'll do fine. (Just because we arnt officers doesnt mean we are stupid).

Even better advice for you, go police! Heh, they get best pay and pension and the easiest job of all the Forces.
No offence to any RAF coppers in or ex but when I was in they were pretty well despised by everyone, go aircrew, wish I had done
Old 18-09-07, 09:03 AM   #24
Smudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMatt View Post
Despite my liberal lefty peacenik outlook I actually came pretty close to signing up. Was about 20, had dropped out of Uni and was kind of directionless. A-levels were apparently all that was needed for Sandhurst. Had an absolutely brilliant interview with someone (can't remember rank) about joining up with the RLC. His killer question was "Whilst the logistics corp aren't necessarily a front line fighting unit, you'll still be trained to kill people with bayonets - think this'll be a problem?". At this point I squealed and went white as a sheet. I think we both realised then that I wasn't really cut out for a life in the forces
your seriously saying that if someone was shooting at you ,you wouldn't shoot back thats all its about ive seen young lads absolutely so sh!t scared that they'll fire at anything then deal with the consequences afterwards your conscience is whats the killer
Old 19-09-07, 05:33 PM   #25
pencil shavings

yep, i defo think living with having killed is much harder than actually doing it, IMHO.

but not having done it, im hardly in a possition to have a vilid oppinion.
Old 19-09-07, 08:38 PM   #26
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
No offence to any RAF coppers in or ex but when I was in they were pretty well despised by everyone
Yup, everyone hated us, unless they'd had something nicked or they'd had their heads kicked in... We were like Millwall Football Club; No-one liked us, but we didn't care
Old 20-09-07, 07:56 AM   #27
Smudge

My Mrs was a monkey (MP) thats how we met she knicked me in Dortmund and i fell for her instantly
Old 20-09-07, 08:35 AM   #28
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmudgeK3 View Post
My Mrs was a monkey (MP) thats how we met she knicked me in Dortmund and i fell for her instantly
Love @ first nick... Cool
Old 20-09-07, 10:36 AM   #29
grh1904

Go for the RAF,

I was in for 12 years, not commissioned, but as others have posted the officers who turn into KN*B's just get treated with contempt, those who actually talked to you like humans got the respect.

Example, I was fulfilling Acting Sergeant duties as mine was in the Falklands, when one of my young WRAF clerks came to me in floods of tears, an officer had phoned up about a pay query and said his name then spelt it out like a 5 year old, treating her like SH*T, with all his jolly hockey sticks types in the background laughing loudly. Unkown to him this girls boyfriend was an engine mech on the same squadron who just happened to be in the crew room at the time and heard the comments made about her after the telephone call ended.

I tried to call this bloke and discuss the situation but got shot down on flames, to cut a long story short my boss the Chief Clerk (Warrant Officer) SUMMONSED him to the office, took him to one side and to this day I still don't know what was said but the officer returned before the end of the day with flowers, some of his fellow officers from the squadron and a very public apology.

Not sure if the above has any great relevance in your quest to find info on the Army, but it might help in your treatment of lower ranks.

Also, have you considered AIRMAN AIRCREW in the RAF, I applied for this but failed on medical grounds. It's where you train as aircrew (ie loadmasters on hercules or helicopters etc, flight deck engineers etc), you hold minimum rank of Sergeant, and get flying pay on top of basic Sgt's pay.
Old 20-09-07, 11:00 AM   #30
G
Mega Poster

I have alway wished to this day that I served in one of the forces, as it stands I have to many commitments and the missus would not be happy.

If anything ever happened between her and I which ended in a break up I would definately apply for some frontline service.
G is offline   Reply With Quote