SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-07-06, 03:20 PM   #21
Jester666

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
Until humans (particularily British and Americans to name a few) get over this "take the p!ss out of greenies" and "no one else bothers so why should I" and "it is too late anyway" attitude, the planet is doomed (maybe it is anyway, but why not try - your kids will thank you for making an effort)

Rant over, I am going back to my hole......
Read 'The Revenge Of Gaia' by James Lovelock. He is a man who knows a huge amount about the global warming thingy. Basicaly it is too late!!
Trust me it is a very informative read! It would open a few eyes in the 'green' community.
Old 28-07-06, 03:20 PM   #22
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Until humans (particularily British and Americans to name a few) get over this "take the p!ss out of greenies" and "no one else bothers so why should I" and "it is too late anyway" attitude, the planet is doomed (maybe it is anyway, but why not try - your kids will thank you for making an effort)

Well done that man.

I'm as green as i can be and if peeps wanna call me a tree hugging hippy then i take that as a compliment. I'd rather hug a tee than a lamp post and i'd rather be a hippy than a planet killer.

Even at my last BBQ i had the recycling bags out in the garden and everyone there was more than happy to use the right bins when i asked them to. Or just leave it there for me to sort out. Either way i dont mind.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-06, 03:23 PM   #23
andy

I know that cyclists generally hate motorbikes and vice versa.

I am a very keen cyclist and motorcyclist and I find it strange they hate each other as they both have similar issues - mainly relating to safety.

I tried to get some cyclists to see a motorcyclist point of view about using bus lanes - they actually told me to leave the forum as I could not be a "proper" cyclist as I rode a motorbike!

I hope you guys aint gonna tell me to leave as well - I have nowhere left to go
Old 28-07-06, 03:25 PM   #24
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester666
Quote:

Rant over, I am going back to my hole......
Read 'The Revenge Of Gaia' by James Lovelock. He is a man who knows a huge amount about the global warming thingy. Basicaly it is too late!!
Trust me it is a very informative read! It would open a few eyes in the 'green' community.
There is no ABSOLUTE proof it is too late, so why not try rather than rolling over and giving up?

Unless of course you take the view that human attitude is beyond help - I would agree with that one.....
Old 28-07-06, 03:34 PM   #25
Daimo

I think its a great idea.

MANY a time i've sat at a red light and some kids have been walking accross the road (Right to left) and a cyclist has nearly wiped them all out because he's not seen them walking in front of the cars waiting while THEIR lights are green.....

Many a time i've seen this, and im not just saying it to look good. I see around 20-50 cyclists per day jump red lights....

Same way that many (NOT all) don't look when cutting accross the road and i've nearly taken them out where they've just swung accross.

Why should cyclists get away with things like this?

If someone gets run over by one of these people (usually doing 20+mph) who does the pedestrian go to?

If a cyclist jumps a red light an goes into a biker/car, what does the car/biker do if they end up down the road becuase some arrogent **** on a bicycle can't be assed to brake and wait like EVERYONE else has to.

I understand its clean and free etc, but i've seen too many close calls and bike accidents.

The police on bikes stop cyclists and issue fines in london for jumping red lights. They either get a £30 fine or a 15 minute lecture on why its dangerous. Which it is!!!!

Good idea Mr L.

Next step - Make it official that bikers can use the bus lanes.
Old 28-07-06, 03:37 PM   #26
Kate

Quote:
we should be encouraging cycling not stopping it, and if one downside of that is more cyclists jumping red lights then I am prepared to live with it - they aint gonna kill anyone (maybe themselves).
You are kidding right? I remember reading recently how a cyclist (in germany I think) ran a red light and caused a pile-up causing more than one death.

Last month I was crossing a junction on a green light when a cyclist decided to run a red light and cross busy traffic. How I didn't hit anything I don't know, there were cars and even a lorry everywhere just trying to avoid the cyclist.

I don't see how it can be enforced but something needs to be done. Its the same problem with motorbikes, the minority cause the majority a problem but I see cyclists acting dangerously EVERY day and if the cyclists knew that there could be repercussions then maybe they would be safer on the road.

More and more people are getting on push bikes and either have no road sense or just don't give a **** for other people on the road and something needs to be done.
Old 28-07-06, 03:41 PM   #27
Daimo

Thing is Kate, with cyclists, its actually the majority that do it and not the minority.

I make a point to give an earful to cyclists every time they jump a red light and i ride back past after they've gone green.

Funny enough, not one cyclists has ever come back with some sarcastic remark "yet"....... Wonder why.....
Old 28-07-06, 03:44 PM   #28
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimo
Thing is Kate, with cyclists, its actually the majority that do it and not the minority.
I assumed that and then got thinking, if a cyclist acts safe, do we actually 'clock' him/her as it were? I then started looking for cyclists and sure enough, they are everywhere but the only ones that I actually noticed were the ******s.
Old 28-07-06, 03:48 PM   #29
Daimo

I tend to notice it quite a lot as theres SOOOOOOO many sets of lights on my way home (can add over 25 minutes to my journey if every light is red ).

I always nuzzle my way to the front (thats why i ride to london lol) so always notice when theres a load of cyclists next to me.

You get those that stop, not many, but some do.

You get those that stop, look, then ride through it anyway, not sooo bad, least they are looking first.

Then you get the majority, both male and female that seem to think that road rules don't apply to them and just go straight through without looking.

I'd personnally say that 7/10 cyclists in SE London (from Greenwich to Morgate) jump red lights.

But if I done it, i'd get points and a nice big fine.......

But then again, when ever is this country "fair" to is residents..... What was that about Gas bills?
Old 28-07-06, 03:57 PM   #30
northwind
Mega Poster

Numbers without licenses is utterly useless- "I lent it to a mate". Job done. No number? "Borrowed it from a mate outside of London".
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote