SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-09-07, 09:21 AM   #21
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: T'internet

Those of you who complain about your slow ADSL service are lucky as I despite only being 3 miles from my local exchange cannot get a service. They have tried 3 times and failed. Fortunate though that I have a cable service. However, it is definitely a monopoly attitude form Virgin Media. I want better upload. No. I want a range of static ip addresses. No. I want UK based tech support. No. etc.

At least with ADSL if you do not like your provider you can go elsewhere.
Old 12-09-07, 11:14 AM   #22
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Those of you who complain about your slow ADSL service are lucky as I despite only being 3 miles from my local exchange cannot get a service. They have tried 3 times and failed. Fortunate though that I have a cable service. However, it is definitely a monopoly attitude form Virgin Media. I want better upload. No. I want a range of static ip addresses. No. I want UK based tech support. No. etc.

At least with ADSL if you do not like your provider you can go elsewhere.
UK cable should never have been sold off to different companies in the first place. All that has happened is one merger after another until there was only one company left. That was the natural progression and the only way to make money as the the infrastructure cost is mahoosive compared to say an ISP. So it is quite right to have only one cable operator. There never was an alternative cable supplier supply the same area, the cost of that would be ridiculous. The choice you have is between cable and the vast array of other suppliers so it is not a total monopoly. I am very sorry that Virgin does not operate to your personal specifications.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07, 11:18 AM   #23
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Do I win on the distance?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07, 11:21 AM   #24
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
And what else were you expecting from Noddy Telephone Lines?
Old 12-09-07, 11:23 AM   #25
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe M. View Post
And what else were you expecting from Welsh Telephone Lines?
Old 12-09-07, 11:59 AM   #26
2mths

At work:

(Cool feature that to give you a link to your results).

I'm with NTL\Virgin as it's just fractionally cheaper than getting a BT line and then broadband on top (I don't have a phone).

I'd get NTL's 20Mb/s service if it were more reasonably priced and or if they offered a decent upload speed with it. As it is I just can't see the point.

Not too fussed about a static IP. Mine tends to only change when they do service upgrades and so whilst it's a little bit of a pain I tend to get a faster connection afterwards (signed up for the 600k service which turned into 720 > 1000 > 2000 and now 4000) although during works connection seems to be as unreliable as hell. Still not suffered from anything like that for over a year now.

If I ever have cause to actually ring their tech support... I won't bother. I'll get a BT line, sign up for ADSL and whilst thats going on send a letter to cancel the NTL agreement, open a new bank account, move everything to the new bank account, close old bank account so that when they ignore the letter and keep trying to take funds they can't.

Last edited by 2mths; 12-09-07 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-09-07, 12:31 PM   #27
Mike2165

Uh huh
Old 12-09-07, 02:33 PM   #28
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
I work for them... doesn't mean I have any control over it... I reckon you'll be wanting to have a moan at BT.

Heh... BT i love my provider! :S
Old 12-09-07, 02:34 PM   #29
2mths

Reckon you're in a minority then.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/co...p_20=1&isp_6=1

I'll admit there was a bit of bodging from my initially chosen ISPs as Tiscalli also have pretty awful ratings.

Last edited by 2mths; 12-09-07 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-09-07, 02:39 PM   #30
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
Work internet is a bit quicker