SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-01-09, 04:06 PM   #21
twopots

Default Re: No test rides?

I've gotta say, especially as its your first big bike you've got get a test ride, even if not just to check the bike is in good riding condition but the test ride will also to make sure its the right bike for you.

I got my first big bike just over a month ago, and when I called up a local Honda Dealership to book a test ride on two different bikes in their used bike stock (the Sv and a 600 Fazer),they had no issue, all I had to bring in was my licence and a utility bill. I wanted to test both bikes to feel the difference between a the V twin and IL4, to see which would be best suited for me. I was originally intending to get the Fazer based on the numerous goods reviews and was a bit apprehensive about the SV (due to reading several bike mags review regarding the long reach, discomfort on the wrists etc). Funy thing was I went out on the Sv first and came back after about twenty minutes of riding with a massive grin on my face...which quickly got wiped off once on got on the Fazer (sorry Fazer owners)..
Old 03-01-09, 05:03 PM   #22
Nutter

When I bought my first big bike (a 600 Bandit), the dealer had no problem letting me take it for a test ride. When I bought the SV though, the dealer said no because the only one he had in stock was already sold. Fortunately I'd ridden a friends so knew what the were like to ride, and was buying new so knew there wouldn't be anything wrong with the bike. I did come across a couple of dealers though, one which was used bikes only and one which was a franchised dealer, who both said no test rides but they'd consider a refund if I bought and decided I didn't like it - sounded a bit risky to me and I could imagine having a real struggle to get a refund if I went back the day after I bought it saying "nah, don't really like it after all".
Old 03-01-09, 05:24 PM   #23
Balky001
Mega Poster

In my experience, motorcycle dealers aren't always very co-operative with test rides. When I bought my SV new I couldn't get a test ride. The GSXR750 was second hand and they allowed me to go out on it for 20 minutes (I'd been a customer of theirs for 5 years and spent a lot of money there). However, when I was looking at a 675 Triumph were so accomodating and excess was only £250. Then again, when my mate wanted a new VFR he had to put £5000 down at the local Honda garage just in case he had an accident. They'd never get away with that if they were selling cars
Old 03-01-09, 06:32 PM   #24
-Ralph-

I'm moving down to England soon, but will be coming back to Scotland to buy my next bike after reading this lot. I can't believe how many dealers won't let you test ride. It's so the opposite in my experience so it must just be English dealers, more traffic on the roads and more risk I suppose. No way I would spend thousands of pounds on any bike without riding it.