SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-03-09, 01:56 PM   #21
Stig

Default Re: Riding other peoples bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graciepants View Post
there is a company that lets you take out day insurance for someone else's bike, or short term insurance, but for a bike you have to be over 30 and have held a licence for 5 years, car its 21.
There are several companies that provide this service.

flexirider
Old 18-03-09, 07:41 PM   #22
Paws

The bike itself has to be insured and YOU the rider must have insurance that allows you to ride other bikes, and as other people have said the "you bend it, you mend it rule applies" hence why treacles bought all the bits for my sv and will be fixing her this weekend
Old 18-03-09, 08:04 PM   #23
jimmy4237

Always a handy thing to have on your insurance policy. I've always made it a point to have the facility on all my bikes (zx9r, sv1000s, and a divvy 600) on a group policy, as well as my car. You never know when you might have to pick up your mates bike from a garage, or take it for an MOT..

Plenty of times I've been up in Inverness visiting with the bike, and had to drive my cousins landrover discovery towing a huge horsebox around!!

As long as the other vehicle is insured, taxed and road legit, and you have the other's party's permission then it's fine. The general rule of you break it you mend it applies though, as it's it's only 3rd party cover!!! You just drive LOTS more carefully.

But more and more insurance companies are withdrawing it, as people just abuse the system. I.e - insure a crappy corsa, then go and drive dads bmw, or their mates hot hatch. You've to ask for the cover to be added. or they don't include it in your policy
Old 18-03-09, 08:23 PM   #24
Swin

I'm with Equity Red Star, and I have the 3rd party clause about riding another bike with the owners permission etc etc statement on mine.
Swin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-09, 07:01 PM   #25
Milky Bar Kid

I'm insured with e-Bike which as previously mentioned, don't cover other bikes BUT, my car insurance allows me to ride anyother motorcar or motorcycle for which I hold an applicable licence and is not hired to me or owned by me.......
Old 19-03-09, 07:26 PM   #26
muffles

Re: third party cover for other vehicles, most policies require the vehicle itself to be insured explicitly under a different policy, but it is dependent on the exact wording in your policy. Chances are you will have the clause, but some don't, and in fact some might have other clauses that you should be aware of.
Your policy document forms the basis of your contract so that's what matters.