SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-01-05, 11:56 PM   #21
edcase

would a gsxr 600 or 750 front end swap be the best option? then you would also get the better brakes of the gsxr. or does different lenght of fork , geometry etc upset the bike.
Old 12-01-05, 09:03 AM   #22
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcase
would a gsxr 600 or 750 front end swap be the best option? then you would also get the better brakes of the gsxr. or does different lenght of fork , geometry etc upset the bike.
K3 Gixxer 1000 works (apparently )
Old 12-01-05, 12:45 PM   #23
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

If you get the emulators you'll still need stiffer springs and I strongly recommend preload adjuster caps if you don't already have them. I think Traxxion also sell the emulators at a vastly inflated price, and grind on something about replacement damper rods with all the brazing done. God knows what they're on about, the emulators they supply are the Racetech ones (get them from PDQ) and apart from drilling a couple of holes, fitting is easy.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-05, 12:48 PM   #24
Dirty Baz

what's actually involved in a spring and fork oil change?

are we talking front wheel off, forks off, then disassemble each fork, replace the spring and oil and then reassemble?? are there any major problems a novice could encounter? for example how hard is it to compress the new spring into place (my dad has told me the story of a work mate who was changing a car spring back in the 80's and as he was compressing the new spring it sprang back and punctured his abdomen!!! nice!)

it's something I'd like to do this year as at 13st the front is still too soft even fully screwed down. and for £55 plus oil it's a tempting....

Cloggsy, are you attempting this yourself?
Old 12-01-05, 01:08 PM   #25
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Baz
what's actually involved in a spring and fork oil change?

are we talking front wheel off, forks off, then disassemble each fork, replace the spring and oil and then reassemble??
Thats pretty much it. Although when you disassemble the fork, its only the cap that needs taking off to get the springs out. Even the new stiffer springs arent likely to cause any problems due to... well their springyness.

The only thing I'd say is that you can make things alot easier by doing things in a certain order. For example, loosening (but not taking off) the fork caps while they are still on the bike.

edit: Other things to think about are, even with stiffer springs you'll probably want to cut spacers to increase the preload.

You'll need to know how to set preload as well.

In fact, if you can get someone whos done it before to help you, I would.
Old 12-01-05, 01:45 PM   #26
BaggaZee

I thought it could be done in-situ, no?
Old 12-01-05, 02:29 PM   #27
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggaZee
Yes. Mr Toad had his done this way when we did the fork spring change day. I seem to remember it being more trouble than it was worth.
Old 12-01-05, 02:44 PM   #28
chazzyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggaZee
It's no great shakes to get the forks out. You could change the springs in-situ, but even going that route you are going to take oil out (on the springs) and bugger up the levels. You can only the get the air space above the oil measured accurately (at all) with the forks out of the bike. The air gap determines when compression damping starts to come into play. Smaller air gap=compression damping sooner and 'harder' front end. Bigger air gap=later compression damping (as the air gets compressed first) and initially softer when hitting bumps. The air acts as a progressive spring as it's compressed - the more you compress it the harder it gets (why bother with progressive springs?). A larger column of air is easier to compress than a smaller one.
Old 12-01-05, 03:24 PM   #29
Dirty Baz

it's probably a better idea for me to lose some weight instead of destroying the front end of my bike!!!!
Old 12-01-05, 03:53 PM   #30
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Baz

it's probably a better idea for me to lose some weight instead of destroying the front end of my bike!!!!
Do both