SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-04-09, 02:09 PM   #21
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default Re: scottoiler oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
No, not unless your bike is running. The flow valve only opens when the engine is running, which is why it needs connecting to a vacuum spigot on the throttle bodies.
ah good, cheers pants everyone said that was the trickiest bit of removing the little rubber nipple thing from the vacuum spigot, but I whipped mine off in about 20 seconds and connected the scottoiler vacuum line in about 50 seconds... Made me wonder if I'd done it completely wrong lol

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-09, 02:37 PM   #22
Viney
Mega Poster

I have always used scotoiler oil, blue one from new. a Liter bottle lasts almost a year for me and i do around 5k per year.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-09, 02:50 PM   #23
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
I have always used scotoiler oil, blue one from new. a Liter bottle lasts almost a year for me and i do around 5k per year.
Can you get a litre bottle? Only ever seen half litre. 500ml bottle lasts me about 10K - which is why 'I ain't bovvered' about price.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-09, 03:09 PM   #24
kurtis.randle

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
F##k me, the title's even spelt correctly. Making progress there Kurtis.

Use old engine oil, or if you want something which will stick to the chain a little, mix it up 50-50 with chainsaw oil (which is the scottoiler oil without dye in it). Pretty much anything will work fine, just ensure it has no large contaminants in it.
cocky bum. haha
Old 28-04-09, 03:10 PM   #25
kurtis.randle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtis.randle View Post
cocky bum. haha

sorry i ment C***y bum.
Old 28-04-09, 03:12 PM   #26
kurtis.randle

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
F##k me, the title's even spelt correctly. Making progress there Kurtis.

Use old engine oil, or if you want something which will stick to the chain a little, mix it up 50-50 with chainsaw oil (which is the scottoiler oil without dye in it). Pretty much anything will work fine, just ensure it has no large contaminants in it.
but thanks for the advice haha
Old 28-04-09, 03:56 PM   #27
kurtis.randle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobbylad View Post
Yes.

Prime is basically the maximum flow rate which gets the oil through the tube when you first set it up. Once you have all they air bubbles out etc and the oil is flowing you should set the flow rate back to a different setting....otherwise you'll end up with oil all over the floor and an empty Scottoiler!

You'll have to play with the settings slightly as it isn't very accurate, but the instructions say something like a setting where you achieve 1-2 drops per min I think...in carp conditions (rain/snow), you should set it higher I think and in summer you should lower the setting as the warmer it gets outside, the quicker the oil flows.

If in doubt, rtfm!

different bikes have different specs so they have different vacum pressures i presume so thats why they cant tell you what setting to put it on
Old 28-04-09, 04:10 PM   #28
jambo
Mega Poster

Quote:
different bikes have different specs so they have different vacum pressures i presume so thats why they cant tell you what setting to put it on
The vacuum pressure is irrelevant over a threshold amount that opens the valve. After that ambient temperature, angle the scottoiler's mounted at, viscosity of oil, length of tubing used all play a factor. This is clearly going to be different for just about every bike.

Jambo
Old 28-04-09, 04:14 PM   #29
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
The Vacuum Pressure has nothing to do with the flow

All the Vacuum link does is open the valve so that good old gravity can get the oil to the sprocket-end of the tube.....

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-09, 04:30 PM   #30
kurtis.randle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
the vacuum pressure is irrelevant over a threshold amount that opens the valve. After that ambient temperature, angle the scottoiler's mounted at, viscosity of oil, length of tubing used all play a factor. This is clearly going to be different for just about every bike.

Jambo
oh thanks and thanks soul kiss you learn new things everyday well thats my aim lol