Stay in the Union 10 30.30%
Vote for Independence 19 57.58%
Unsure 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-11, 07:49 PM   #21
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Independence referendum..

how do you come up with 'the standard of living will fall' that's just media bullshizz.

i'm going to stop now.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 07:51 PM   #22
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Basket View Post
To say that Scotland should be independent is purely a nationalist policy sounds to me.

It isnt based on economic or military or social or transport...nobody has the first idea what will happen as Scotland has never been independent before in the last 300 years. So it is a total case of hope for the best.

The idea that anyone can vote independent and for the standard of living to fall means you are voting to be poorer? How does that fly?

You can't eat a flag.
+1
Old 07-05-11, 07:52 PM   #23
The Basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
how do you come up with 'the standard of living will fall' that's just media bullshizz.

i'm going to stop now.
How do you come up with the standard of living will rise?

Thats just media Bullshizz.

Nice of you to say that due to independence you have lost your job.

that would be comfort to those who do.

Last edited by The Basket; 07-05-11 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-05-11, 08:15 PM   #24
Dicky Ticker

Unfortunately nobody can guarantee that you will keep your job,the old job for life scenario went out the window a long time ago Many moons ago I worked in Glasgow then Bathgate in the vehicle industry but when things got iffy I moved down south thinking it would be more secure-------wrong
A fact of today's modern life is you have to go where the work is,hoping to stay put and waiting for it to come to you isn't the answer
Funding for public services such as Police and Fire Service are part of your local rates so these can be taken out of the equation. Like some others I would like to know how much revenue is generated for the national coffers by Scotland
I would want to know all the facts before national pride would influence a descision and this will probably be in the minds of most voters.Till that day I reserve my perch on the fence
Old 07-05-11, 08:18 PM   #25
The Basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Ticker View Post
Unfortunately nobody can guarantee that you will keep your job,the old job for life scenario went out the window a long time ago Many moons ago I worked in Glasgow then Bathgate in the vehicle industry but when things got iffy I moved down south thinking it would be more secure-------wrong
A fact of today's modern life is you have to go where the work is,hoping to stay put and waiting for it to come to you isn't the answer
Funding for public services such as Police and Fire Service are part of your local rates so these can be taken out of the equation. Like some others I would like to know how much revenue is generated for the national coffers by Scotland
I would want to know all the facts before national pride would influence a descision and this will probably be in the minds of most voters.Till that day I reserve my perch on the fence
Sounds like a plan to me. Good call.
Old 07-05-11, 08:39 PM   #26
husky03
Mega Poster

timing is great eh?-just as the oil is about to run dry in the north sea, you'll get the braveheart mob shouting for independance-yeh right-by all means be responsible for your own affairs but as local councils have shown already they can't run a single town correctly never mind a country.
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 08:47 PM   #27
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Just wish you'd done this 15 years ago.
. . and kept the Member for Dunfermline East and ( separately ) Kirkcaldy your side of 'adrian's wall.
Old 07-05-11, 09:04 PM   #28
Kilted Ginger

what are the tangible benefits??
Other than the nationalistic shout of freedom, what will it change, never mind improve??
I would like to see an educated and informed debate, but frankly i dont think that will happen. It will be media and spin and flag waving rhetoric, style over substance.
North sea oil.. running out fast, who says we could claim it as our anyway, the world is becoming smaller, why would we want to become more insular rather than more connected.Britain plays an over inflated role in the world as it is due to historic empires and inflated egos, look at other countries our size and how much they interfere / contribute to wolrd events. Would we be big enough to become small, not to be "important" but to concentrate on self interests and improvement, i dont believe so.
Have a look at other like sized countries and their taxes, income, standard of living, world status, etc.
We are a small, moderately industrialized, poor service tourist economy, ISLAND. which in itself presents many issues. I understand the blood pumping, freedom, hard done to, unlistened to attitude but i cannot see a deceleration of independence changing that much.
Old 07-05-11, 10:53 PM   #29
TamSV
Mega Poster

Here's some excerpts from the McCrone Report commissioned by the Heath Government in the 1970's and then stamped "Top Secret" and buried for 30 years. It remained secret under the Callaghan, Thatcher, Major and Blair Governments until released under a Freedom of Information request.

"..large revenues and balance of payments gains would indeed accrue to a Scottish Government in the event of independence...The country would tend to be in chronic surplus to a quite embarrassing degree and its currency would become the hardest in Europe...just as deposed monarchs and African leaders have used the Swiss franc as a haven of security, so now would the Scottish pound be seen as a good hedge...the Scottish banks could expect to find themselves inundated with a speculative inflow of foreign funds"

Things don't change..

"Our biggest problem is lowering the expectations of the Scottish people" Martin O'Neill MP (Labour) 1984

"We have got to engender fear of the SNP" Douglas Alexander MP (Labour) in a leaked memo, 1999
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 01:16 AM   #30
stuartyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bar Kid View Post
I'd also vote no.
Since when did someone from Germany have a say?